U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2011, 07:38 AM

3,633 posts, read 8,514,505 times

Advertisements

[quote=MartinEden99;20094851]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post

Chris...what type of work do you do outside, if you dont mind answering? I sometimes hear people say they work outside but it really means they walk outside from their AC vehicle for 20 feet at a time and then back into the AC building again. Not that you necessarily do this...but everybody has a different definition outside of "construction" being an outside job mostly. What I consider outside work is where you physically exert yourself on a semi-regular basis.

What is your diet like? High in salt? Do you eat a lot of fruit? Do you drink a TON of water? The types of foods you eat, and when you eat them, will certainly play a part in how your body adapts. High starch & high salt foods on a regular basis will drive up your body temperature.

You also don't have to be a marathon athlete (I certainly am not) but you should make an attempt to physically exert yourself outside. Whether that be mowing the lawn or gardening, or swimming in the ocean or a pool...or jogging if that is your thing. Pace yourself by how you feel, not how much you are sweating, drink more water than you feel like you want (trust me), but do NOT push it in 95+ temps(or even 90 if that feels bad to you even while in the shade).

Also, I don't mean to infer that everybody should love 95+ temps and all dance outside in the sun. I'm saying that 95+ is more like 3 months that you can certainly learn to deal with and even enjoy if you take advantage of the ocean, a pool, etc. And the more you try & acclimate to hot weather, the more you will enjoy being outside in 85 or even 90. As always...access to shade is helpful as well.
I was borderline diabetic so I dropped all the starchy foods long ago. I sure drink lots of water. never was a big fan of high salt foods. I eat mostly citrus and banannas. I am alergic to apples, plums, peaches, cherries, and on and on...

I am an avid cyclist, but during the summer I drop my riding down to 20%. i just do not like riding in the heat.

I work at an apartment community, I am outside pretty much 75% of the day, working on AC's, and things on the property. I take breaks, lots of breaks.

I also have another health issue with an intolerance to heat(MS). It will be less than 5 months and I am going back to MA. So i will make it through the summer here.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:09 AM

2,878 posts, read 3,848,848 times
[quote=ChrisA70;20093971]
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Andrews View Post

What are the rules to getting aclimated if you have been here 18 years, and work outside, but still nothing works as far as getting used to it? I guess I am screwed...

Everywhere I look around here farm pastures are now malls, or will be soon, the land is for sale, and undoubtedly, they will become strip malls. I agree. Really? How many strip malls with the same stores in all of them do we really need???? Overgrowth got us where we are, they never learn....
A lot of large ranchers in Florida are very serious about preserving the Cracker culture of Florida. Get a book called "Florida Cowboys" by Carlton Ward. Many large land holdings have been put into conservation easement status that enables the ranching families to ranch and keep cattle while preserving the land from development. Yes, it is a dying culture but some people are fighting hard to preserve it.

OD

Old 07-20-2011, 12:56 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,339,045 times
[quote=ognend;20098601]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post

A lot of large ranchers in Florida are very serious about preserving the Cracker culture of Florida. Get a book called "Florida Cowboys" by Carlton Ward. Many large land holdings have been put into conservation easement status that enables the ranching families to ranch and keep cattle while preserving the land from development. Yes, it is a dying culture but some people are fighting hard to preserve it.

OD

Didn't they start that about 10-15 years ago. They are called "Public Land" and you can see signs up along some of the highways?

Old 07-20-2011, 01:56 PM

2,878 posts, read 3,848,848 times
[quote=LABART;20100362]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post

Didn't they start that about 10-15 years ago. They are called "Public Land" and you can see signs up along some of the highways?
It started a while ago - I am not sure if the "Public lands" signs mean that. Either way, the largest FL ranches play an important role in protecting wildlife, lands, waterways, watersheds etc. They also keep greedy developers at bay for a large portion of the land.

OD

Old 07-21-2011, 02:48 AM

591 posts, read 744,850 times
While I don't have a fight in this, I personally can't live there because it's too humid (as is Baltimore, Missouri, Louisiana and a lot of other places).

Old 07-26-2011, 12:50 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,484,522 times
I think it's all about knowing yourself. Personally, I wouldn't want to live in Florida in the summer -- too darn hot. But many do, and love it. Some people hate 85 degree weather, and love the cold, icy winters of the NE. It's a personal preference.

Old 07-26-2011, 06:15 PM

3,633 posts, read 8,514,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggy View Post
I think it's all about knowing yourself. Personally, I wouldn't want to live in Florida in the summer -- too darn hot. But many do, and love it. Some people hate 85 degree weather, and love the cold, icy winters of the NE. It's a personal preference.

Exactly, I agree, all in personal preferance.

Old 07-26-2011, 06:33 PM

6,853 posts, read 19,763,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggy View Post
Great post +1.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:06 AM

26 posts, read 45,134 times
I cannot speak about the whole state of Florida, but I have lived in Fort Myers in the southwest and now I live in Fort Lauderdale in the southeast and one thing I can say is that the people here compared to other places I have lived before (Illinois, California, and North Carolina) are rude, drive worse, and overall have a poor attitude towards others. Nobody cant deny that the weather is great and the beaches are beautiful but peoples attitude along with high cost of living and low wages makes you want to move back to other places that you know are better in those aspects.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:10 AM

1,458 posts, read 1,484,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outofhere77 View Post
I cannot speak about the whole state of Florida, but I have lived in Fort Myers in the southwest and now I live in Fort Lauderdale in the southeast and one thing I can say is that the people here compared to other places I have lived before (Illinois, California, and North Carolina) are rude, drive worse, and overall have a poor attitude towards others. Nobody cant deny that the weather is great and the beaches are beautiful but peoples attitude along with high cost of living and low wages makes you want to move back to other places that you know are better in those aspects.
That's because you get people from all over the place in Florida -- the NE, Midwest, etc. I don't tend to think it's Florida's fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or