Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 06:27 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,650,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
Good analogy but it doesn't work for everyone who posts negatively about Florida. We lived in four states (work and then retirement) and they all had their good points and not so good points. Florida, however, insulted our senses on every level. This post asks, "What does Florida lack that makes everyone want to go home?" If you don't want to hear the answers then don't ask the question.
If money was no object I rather live in San Diego...I never said it was the Best place to live. My parents did it right though they had a home in Sag Harbor LI and a home here in Florida so they got the best of both worlds!!

Old 06-16-2011, 06:32 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,195,672 times
The answer to me is very simple - family and old friends. People miss hanging out with people they have known for all of their lives. When I go home to upstate NY, it's like I never left with folks I grew up with. Some will counter and say "make new friends" and I have, but it's never the same.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:49 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,639,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
This post asks, "What does Florida lack that makes everyone want to go home?" If you don't want to hear the answers then don't ask the question.
Except for the fact that you are not just posting your opinion, you are posting complete untruths.

Lets hear again how there is no fresh seafood in Florida. How all the restaurants in Mass are great and every one in Florida sucks.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:38 PM

126 posts, read 711,308 times
My Mom's from Mass and she'd rather live in Florida any day of the week! And not just because of the weather. She's not a beach person either. Her family is almost equally divided between Mass and Florida, so she'll never feel homesick either. I guess she's just lucky. This question got very few straight and honest answers. Mostly snobbish and hateful remarks. I'm glad to live where I do. I feel truly blessed My Mom even agrees that people up north are much more snobbish than down here. She never has people problems down here, so I've got to say, if you can't make friends down here, it's YOU, not everyone else

Old 06-16-2011, 08:47 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,246,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
It's called assimilating into a culture versus transplanting everything from someplace else. If you're so loyal to the hometown culture, what are you doing here?
I'm not down there.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:45 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,929,594 times
Just in case there's any confusion, let's review the original question.

I'll cut and paste it below in green.

What does Florida lack that makes everyone want to go "home"?

Isn't this asking people to list the things they or others they know don't like about Florida? It's almost as if people who are answering honestly have been set up for an argument.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:17 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,639,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Just in case there's any confusion, let's review the original question.

I'll cut and paste it below in green.

What does Florida lack that makes everyone want to go "home"?

Isn't this asking people to list the things they or others they know don't like about Florida? It's almost as if people who are answering honestly have been set up for an argument.
Or it could be that some answer with blanket statements and don't just say what they don't like.
Anyone that complains that Florida doesn't have good seafood is just trolling. No, not every Florida seafood restaurant is going to be good just as every seafood restaurant in Mass. is not going to be good. But there are some that look for any chance to bash the state and there are those others that will answer them.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:17 AM

810 posts, read 1,578,712 times
lack of fresh produce and seafood ~~~BIG LOL~~ LMAO

Thanks for the laugh, I'm also crying buahahaha

Old 06-17-2011, 07:55 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,124,405 times
The whole subject boils down to one thing. Personal preference. However, I do not understand what was on the minds of these people when they were leaving their original place of residence. Didn't they think that they'd be leaving the usual and venturing into the new and unknown? Didn't they realize that "Bob and Harry's Seafood Emporium" wouldn't be here in FL? Did they realize that their good friends who they willingly left behind wouldn't be coming over for a Saturday BBQ? What on earth where they thinking??

I've seen many people here complain about the weather. Did Florida undergo some amazing climate change that was not here before they came? Did the grass change? Did the culture of Florida change? What drove them to relocate in the first place? Some will say "job". B.S. No job that I know of requires you to uproot and move if you don't want to, except of course the military.

These same people who come to the FL forums to bash are the same ones who obviously had compelling reasons to leave where they were but apparently found out the grass was greener where they were. Nothing wrong with that, but to make ridiculous statements here to comfort themselves
in some way is insane.

So, what was the reasoning for leaving the comforts of "home" to come here in the first place?
Nobody ever mentions that. They only state how great it is to be "back home" in the place that they apparently decided wasn't for them at one point in time to cause the relocation in the first place. Then, to top it off, they were here for YEARS before changing their minds and going "back home". Didn't they realize in the first year or two that they didn't like the whatever they complain about and go home at that point? What caused them to suffer year after year in a place that they hated so much?

Then, the next question is why do these people who left continue to come to a Florida forum to state how happy they are to be back "home"? Who cares. You left. Hopefully they are happy being back in their comfort zone, but I get a nagging feeling that they come back to the Florida boards because they miss something and feel the need to bash FL to make themselves feel better
about their decision to go back.

Florida is missing nothing. It is a state, a geographical location. It is in the most southern region of the United States. Wouldn't you think that the weather is different, the people are going to be just like you, transplants from elsewhere? Wouldn't you think that you may find things are different here overall? Apparently some of them did not. Did they expect to find exactly what they left and if so, why did they want to leave "home" if they wanted what they had "home"?

Much is different here than other places, but much is the same. You wake up in the morning, go to work, come home, have dinner, watch TV, do whatever you did "back home". On the off times you can do a whole lot of different things that you couldn't do "back home".

It just boggles my mind that those who decided to "go home" continue to return to a forum of a place they hated to state how great it is to be "back home"
because that isn't the purpose of this forum. You tried it, you didn't like it, so instead of bashing the place of your distaste, stay on your local forum and tell everyone who is thinking of leaving not to do so and tell them of your experiences. Those who are quite content to be here really don't care that you are happy to be "back home".

Old 06-17-2011, 07:58 AM

623 posts, read 965,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
Except for the fact that you are not just posting your opinion, you are posting complete untruths.

Lets hear again how there is no fresh seafood in Florida. How all the restaurants in Mass are great and every one in Florida sucks.
Amen to that. We intent to move to Vero Beach Florida no matter what the Anti-Florida bashes say out here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida