U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2011, 08:02 AM

3,378 posts, read 7,869,549 times

Advertisements

I'll answer the question. But please note... I do not want to go home... these are things I miss from home.

I miss the mild summers
I miss the mountains and beauty of Alaska
I miss camping
I miss fishing for Salmon and Halibut and having a freezer full of both
I miss our friends and family
I miss the 1956 Bel-Air we left up there
I miss my gigantic yard
I miss driving on the on some of the most scenic roads in the world when going on a road trip.

I have a larger list of things I love about Florida... but will not post those here.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:06 AM

12,135 posts, read 13,207,142 times
How true. Unrealistic expectations. Seems they assume that their existence here will be so much better than where they were, weighed the decision carefully, but never state their reasons for coming here in the first place.
There had to be reasons they left their personal paradise to relocate but all that reverses when they figure out life is life no matter where you live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
People come down here with unrealistic expectations and/or no financial stability. They do little to no research and, when they fail, they blame it on the entire state and go back to wherever they came from.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:12 AM

Didn't these people know that the South is generally hotter and more humid than the north? Rude people live everywhere. That's humans for ya. High cost of living? Compared to where? Didn't they know what the COL was before they decided to relocate or did they expect everything to be so cheap and economical that they could live like kings here? Child molesters, et al is everywhere. FL just has a better reporting system for it. Hurricanes have been an issue in FL since the beginning of time. Didn't anyone who left here to go "home" know that? Same with senior citizens. I guess they don't remember Red Buttons stating on TV "Come on down!".

Not only is FL a great place to visit and retire, its a great place to live providing you understand simple facts of life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I think it's several factors that Florida has that people generally don't want to deal with that are pretty rational if you think about it. Awful humidity, rude people, high cost of living, child molesters/pedophiles on every block, crime, hurricanes, & too many senior citizens. If I wasn't from Florida, Florida would never attract me as a state to settle down in. Especially if I had a family. But because I was born and raised there, I know that even those factors alone, aren't representative of what Florida is. At ALL. Florida is a great state with alot of great people (despite the rudeness) and has loads of fun things to do. I happen to like hurricanes and senior citizens. And I love beaches. They are highly therapeutic to me and I love being near them. It takes away the stresses of life. And that alone is enough to keep me around. And Florida has the BEST beaches in the country. Not only that but Florida has the some of the best FOOD in the country. You got high populations of Caribbean, European, & Latin-American people that bring their food with them and you got some of the best food in the world. Factor that in with the Asian and Middle-Eastern people that we also have (but in smaller numbers) and you've got a diverse state with countless food choices. And let's not mention our various theme parks to enjoy! What more do you need? Personally, I wouldn't raise my child there but it's a great place to vacation and retire!

Old 06-17-2011, 08:14 AM

2 posts, read 2,604 times
I am from Florida. I was born and raised in Central Florida. I raised one son to the age of 18 in Florida and I now reside in Maryland. I am raising 2 young sons here. I left Florida because I hoped that the opportunities in a big city would be better and they are. I left because I couldn't stand the constant heat and humidity. I still get it here but only a few days at a time. Here I have Mountains, the bay, oceans, ski resorts, water parks, waterfalls, rock-climbing and hiking, all in the same state. I love Maryland for the state that it is yet I have certainly found myself missing the southern hospitality which seems to surprise the reserved people of the Northeast. people here are cautious and guarded. people back home are outgoing and friendly. I can only speak for myself. I don't know why people go back home but I know why I will never move back to Florida. Drugs are extremely prevalent in Central Florida but if you go to the coast maybe not so much, I don't know. If I go to Baltimore City, drugs are crazy...if I stay here in the country...they are not seen. I love Florida because my roots are there. I love Maryland because my childrens roots are here.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:16 AM

If you had it so good and have these amazing love for cheap lobster, a great life there with your green grass, landscaping, seafood, dress style, media, etc why on earth did you decide to leave it all behind in the first place?

Glad to know you are happy being back where you started but there had to be compelling reasons for you to leave it all for Florida.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
Oh let's see here... the beautiful season of spring, first with showy yellow daffys and forsythia, followed by the wondrous purple lilacs and rhodies, iris and hostas, soft green grass that you can walk barefoot on instead of the razor blade crabgrass that grows sideways. Real neighborhoods, not gated enclaves that are usually flanked with shantys on the other wide of the wall, fresh lobster rolls, cod, and giant scallops from Georges Bank, wearing jeans and a hoodie instead of the pinky-greeny Lily Pulitzer look, restaurants that cater to people's needs, as in grassfed beef and free range chickens, craft beer on draft, not wondering who's packing a concealed weapon, real newspapers that report real news instead of the local Florida papers that are obsessed with city workers' salaries, and no native Floridians who spout jesus at you while they're cutting your hair... Just off the top of my head.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:33 AM

3,079 posts, read 3,709,266 times
I'm still relatively new to this forum but I detect a certain 'grass is greener' thinking in many of the posts regardless of what state it is. People want to move to FL because of the sunshine. People want to move to VT because of the scenery. People want to move to NH because of the lack of government intrusion. etc Those are the good things that strike you and are in contrast to wherever you are.

Once you move you have a six month - one year honeymoon and then you start to be aware of the things that are worse than whatever you left behind. People find out that it is hotter than blazes in FL in the summer. They find out they can't make a decent living in VT to pay for their quality of life. Or they find out along with the low taxes and minimal govt in NH there are also no services and they nickel and dime you on everything else they can.

And almost all the state forums now say to bring your job with you because there are none to be found these days.

It's like a marriage, you have to go into it with your eyes open. Somebody posted in one of the forums in the New England states about wanting to move there from Long Island but wanting to avoid wildlife and wanting to be able to walk on sidewalks to downtown. Yeah kind of like saying I want to move to NYC but I don't care for traffic and crowds. There will be things you enjoy and things that get on your nerves. Sometimes it is easier to take the things that get on your nerves if you are from the area and grew up with them so you are just used to them.

If things go well hubby and I will be somewhere near Panama City in a couple of years. It's the weather that is driving us - I've seen more snow than most Americans see in three lifetimes. And living in a place that is basically one huge outdoor freezer several months of the year. We know FL is hot and humid - we can both take hot weather better than most. We'll be bringing our businesses with us. We've lived a lot of places in the US and the world and I've found that as long as you keep your lawn mowed, smile and wave to your neighbors, and stay out of local politics until you've lived there for a few years, you don't have any problems. Another thing I've learned is you can't cherry pick - there is no one place that will have everything you want in terms of cliamte, economy, recreation, amenities etc. So you pays your money and you makes your choice according to your priorities. Pick what is important to you and yes maybe you will miss the cheeseteak from Philly or the NYC pizza but a glass of wine and the sunset are more than a fair trade.

eta: oh and if my hairdresser wants to spout Jesus while she's cutting my hair. I'll listen politely, she just won't convert me.

Last edited by FrugalYankee; 06-17-2011 at 09:00 AM..

Old 06-17-2011, 09:19 AM

3,633 posts, read 8,513,677 times
There is more drama on here than any daytime show, reality show, or anywhere else for that fact.....LOL!!!!!!!! This is why I love CD, just the constant drama!!!! Awesome!

Old 06-17-2011, 09:28 AM

2,200 posts, read 3,783,477 times
Florida has no substance or character... it's all a fake, plastic, hollow "wonderland". It's too hot, too humid, there are hurricanes, crime is ridiculous, urban and suburban planning is terrible, everyone has to drive everywhere to do anything, the quality of everything is lower (groceries, mall shopping, etc.), the overall cost of living is too high (including ridiculous homeowner's insurance rates), and the people, on average, have quite the fake, snobbish attitude.

...which is why I don't live there anymore and never plan to move back.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:40 AM

190 posts, read 208,248 times
I'm confused by the cost of living comments--what is it being compared to? I know that my COL went down at least 20% compared to where I was in PA when I moved [back] to FL. Home prices and rent was about 50% lower as well.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:22 AM

15,117 posts, read 31,011,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
Florida has no substance or character... it's all a fake, plastic, hollow "wonderland". It's too hot, too humid, there are hurricanes, crime is ridiculous, urban and suburban planning is terrible, everyone has to drive everywhere to do anything, the quality of everything is lower (groceries, mall shopping, etc.), the overall cost of living is too high (including ridiculous homeowner's insurance rates), and the people, on average, have quite the fake, snobbish attitude.

...which is why I don't live there anymore and never plan to move back.
Is this a joke? Some of the ridiculous comments here just never cease to amaze me......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or