Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2011, 03:27 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,119,427 times

Advertisements

I can only use NYC as a comparison, but I'm afraid your theory does not stick to the wall.

The FL working stiff pays federal, medicare and social security tax and a 6 pct sales tax.

The NYC working stiff pays federal, medicare and social security tax and also pays NYC tax at a rate of $1,455 plus 3.591% of an income $45-90k a year. On top of that he pays a sales tax of about 8.35 percent or is it more now? I am sure many (most) other states and cities have payroll taxes also. FL working stiff is not paying the taxes a NYC worker pays.

Gas is cheaper in FL than NYC.

A toll on a NYC bridge or tunnel is $6.50 each way providing he is driving from a borough to Manhattan. You can't go from the Bronx to Queens without paying a toll unless you swim. In FL I can drive around most of the state and never pay a toll unless I want to use the Turnpike or other limited access roads like the Selmon in Tampa, the Polk Parkway, the Orlando Beach Line or the Orlando "East/West".

The FL homestead exemption is open to all homeowners who reside in their home. You don't have to 65.

So, the argument that the FL working stiff pays more is defective on all counts.

Social Security: As far as I know all social security is paid at the same rate depending on the prior income of the retiree. There is no bonus in FL or anywhere else that I am aware of.

Education cuts: If the $ is not there to keep it afloat, what do you do?
Close the schools and let the kids figure it out on their own, or do you make the cuts now to save the future? If the system carries on after all the cuts, obviously the cuts are justified.

Tourists: The pay a hefty tax on their hotel rooms, rental cars in addition to the sales tax when they buy something. So where are they getting a break?

Next argument?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcoach View Post
Spring,

I never did say that I disliked your postings, just that I have great difficulty getting through your repetitions, generalizations, and extended verbiage.

In the Florida economy, who do you suppose pays the greatest percentage of his/her earnings to the government.... the average Florida working stiff working at/near the minimum wage, or the retired property owner garnering both a pension and/or Social Security? Granted neither will pay a state income tax, but by far, the Florida working stiff will pay the greater percentage of the weekly check for taxes. The working stiff will be paying more through the nose for transportation costs to work (gas taxes, vehicle operation costs, and tolls). The working stiff will pay more of his/her income in sales taxes for family/work clothing and household essentials. The working stiff may not make enough money to own a home, but even if he/she did, he/she would not garner the "over 65" homestead exclusion. To make things even worse for the Florida working stiff, he/she is paying into Social Security and Medicare programs via his taxes that leave his/her pockets and go directly into the pockets of the SS recipient tax free! Who is getting screwed to the wall.... it is most definitely not the Florida retiree.

No argument about school budgets being cut throughout the country. It is one thing about "cutting the fat" and "cutting to the bone". The state of Florida has pretty much cut through the bone, and no genuine solutions appear to be forthcoming.

Sad to say, but Florida seems to evolved as a state that best benefits the needs of the tax-avoiding wealthy, the short-term tourist, and the retiree with the nice pension.

Old 06-26-2011, 03:57 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,767,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Chris.... My posting was not specifically directed at you. I do understand your situation and the thing that bothers you about FL is the heat. I can understand that. Please don't take a general post personally.

As far as blah blah preach preach, not so. I am stating my opinion which is simply that a few people here, especially those who don't live here, feel a need to find fault with Florida as a whole. It's not the way they paint it.
Tell me what you found in my posting that you disagree with.

You wanted a change of scenery. I wanted a change of lifestyle.
Others come and go for other reasons, but the ridiculous bashing comments are simply false. I am not going to pick out which ones, but they are quite obvious and ridiculous.
Ok, just thought it was directed at me. I always say for me 99% weather as to why i want to go north. Otherwise I am doing good here in FL.

Old 06-26-2011, 04:07 PM

374 posts, read 945,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcoach View Post

To make things even worse for the Florida working stiff, he/she is paying into Social Security and Medicare programs via his taxes that leave his/her pockets and go directly into the pockets of the SS recipient tax free! Who is getting screwed to the wall.... it is most definitely not the Florida retiree.
I can assure you that if the SS recipient has either additional income or a working spouse, that SS income could/will be taxed again if the total income tax bracket changes. It is not all "free and clear" income when filing a tax return and will definitely affect the amount of taxes owed and/or refunded.

Old 06-26-2011, 04:09 PM

817 posts, read 2,250,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
As much as it is confusing for the Florida cheerleaders and "Everything is all rainbows and happy unicorns" talk.... It goes BOTH WAYS. Not all is perfect here as a few of you say it is.

When people ask about things, and have questions. As soon as we comment on things like weather, jobs, etc. we get bashed by a few of you in a second. Sorry but that IS the truth. And don't give me that "facts" crap, that is getting old. I could say it averages 90+ down here in Fort Myers from April through October, and you people will come back with the "average temps don't prove that that is correct". So annoying... Must be wonderful to know everything about everything.

I don't think anyone here who likes Florida is saying it's all rainbows and sunshine. In fact, if you read the retort posts, we ADMIT it's hot and humid here. We ADMIT that it's different.

I think we get frustrated by several things....

1-Exaggeration. Posts that say "it's the worst weather ever, it's 100 degrees out every day and (unbelievably) I PREFER TO LIVE IN THE COLD AND SNOW" or junk like "CRIME IS RAMPANT! I HEARD THAT SOMEONE WAS MURDERED" and hyperbole. Someone in THIS VERY THREAD claimed that you can't get fresh seafood in Florida. THAT is the nonsense we get tired of.

2-Malcontents. People who say things like "I moved to Florida in 2006 and I couldn't find a job, even though I looked. I used to easily be able to find work in (awesome city that they abandoned to move here) without a problem and I can't find work here." Well, why did you move here without a job???

3-People who want Florida to be like "back home." They'll come on here and say "the schools aren't like back in the great state of (place they abandoned to move here)"....or "I can't find a good New York style pizza place like I could in New York"...or "I miss the change of seasons, it's always the same in Florida, it NEVER changes." Gee, if it's so great back where you used to live, WHY DID YOU MOVE HERE????"

So, you see, it's not like we're saying it's perfect, but the typical complaints are BS by people who should have known better.

Old 06-26-2011, 04:28 PM

1,464 posts, read 1,841,077 times
Totally agree! People who didn't do there homework ahead of time, who moved down to avoid the snow, whe didn't bother to check into the school systems, food stores, etc, who didn't bother to rent before they bought: no need to slam the state -- it's just not for you. You made a mistake coming to Florida in the first place -- blame yourself, not the state. It's your fault.

Old 06-26-2011, 05:00 PM

Congrats

Yeah, I know, summer in FL sucks. Its the way it is. I prefer the cooler months here, but summer is summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
Ok, just thought it was directed at me. I always say for me 99% weather as to why i want to go north. Otherwise I am doing good here in FL.

Old 06-26-2011, 05:02 PM

Precisely.

Let me tell ya, the first time we walked into a Winn Dixie in Orlando which later we found to be a 3rd rate choice for us, we thought we died and went to heaven. I am comparing that to the smelly dingy and very crowded supermarkets we were used to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggy2 View Post
Totally agree! People who didn't do there homework ahead of time, who moved down to avoid the snow, whe didn't bother to check into the school systems, food stores, etc, who didn't bother to rent before they bought: no need to slam the state -- it's just not for you. You made a mistake coming to Florida in the first place -- blame yourself, not the state. It's your fault.

Old 06-26-2011, 05:05 PM

The various comments you mention are typical. How about "every restaurant in FL sucks", A classic: "my hair stopped falling out when I left", "the roads are poorly designed", "everybody feels the need to be armed, why?", "the drivers are horrible in Florida".

I'm paraphrasing but along with your list of ridiculous comments I figured I'd throw in a few gems that I've seen here.

Thanks for explaining the things that pain me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin from Tampa View Post
I don't think anyone here who likes Florida is saying it's all rainbows and sunshine. In fact, if you read the retort posts, we ADMIT it's hot and humid here. We ADMIT that it's different.

I think we get frustrated by several things....

1-Exaggeration. Posts that say "it's the worst weather ever, it's 100 degrees out every day and (unbelievably) I PREFER TO LIVE IN THE COLD AND SNOW" or junk like "CRIME IS RAMPANT! I HEARD THAT SOMEONE WAS MURDERED" and hyperbole. Someone in THIS VERY THREAD claimed that you can't get fresh seafood in Florida. THAT is the nonsense we get tired of.

2-Malcontents. People who say things like "I moved to Florida in 2006 and I couldn't find a job, even though I looked. I used to easily be able to find work in (awesome city that they abandoned to move here) without a problem and I can't find work here." Well, why did you move here without a job???

3-People who want Florida to be like "back home." They'll come on here and say "the schools aren't like back in the great state of (place they abandoned to move here)"....or "I can't find a good New York style pizza place like I could in New York"...or "I miss the change of seasons, it's always the same in Florida, it NEVER changes." Gee, if it's so great back where you used to live, WHY DID YOU MOVE HERE????"

So, you see, it's not like we're saying it's perfect, but the typical complaints are BS by people who should have known better.

Old 06-26-2011, 05:07 PM

Yes, true, but that is across the country not a FL thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Gal now View Post
I can assure you that if the SS recipient has either additional income or a working spouse, that SS income could/will be taxed again if the total income tax bracket changes. It is not all "free and clear" income when filing a tax return and will definitely affect the amount of taxes owed and/or refunded.

Old 06-26-2011, 05:28 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,363,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Andrews View Post

ipoetry It's a tremendous place to... 08-07-2008, 08:55 AM.
08-07-2008, 08:55 AM
[SIZE=5]ipoetry[/SIZE]

[SIZE=5]ipoetry[/SIZE]
befriend
1,540 posts, read 178,738 times

It's a tremendous place to live year round. It just takes some time to grow into. It's been three years for us, coming from Massachusetts, and finally this is home. We love it! If I can say this in August then imagine January and February.

It's a tremendous place to live year round. It just takes some time to grow into. It's been three years for us, coming from Massachusetts, and finally this is home. We love it! If I can say this in August then imagine January and February.
[SIZE=5]ipoetry[/SIZE]
befriend
1,540 posts, read 178,738 times

Yup, I already addressed this in an earlier post. I was doing that dance that newly transferred people do, that game they play in their heads to convince themselves that they made the right choice. Well, it was a lousy choice. Lucky for us we found a buyer who fell off the turnip truck and we got our money back as far as real estate goes.

You're wasting your time defending Florida all over the place when this is a post asking "What does Florida lack that makes everyone go home?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida