Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2011, 03:09 PM

677 posts, read 934,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
This might be one reason people leave Florida. Figures from the Dept of Labor.

Unemployment Rates for States

Florida is #48 out of 51 (50 states and Wash DC)
And here's another reason they will be leaving: Sinkhole insurance rates that if approved by the FL board of insurance will go from 400 - 2000%!! And that's on top of your regular homeowners insurance policy. Anyone who's got a mortgage will be forced to pay it by their lender. I'm sure Spring Hillan can tell you all about it since their county Hernando is subject to the highest increase, over 2000%. Whether sinkholes are common or infrequent in certain areas of FL, just the idea of my house falling into one & me along with it is enough to terrify me. Palmetto bugs, gators, insects that live all year round, mold, hot steamy humid weather that make my joints act up, well thanks, but no thanks. It's a nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there.

Some Citizens sinkhole rates could rise thousands of dollars - St. Petersburg

Old 08-18-2011, 03:28 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,247,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SassySpice View Post
And here's another reason they will be leaving: Sinkhole insurance rates that if approved by the FL board of insurance will go from 400 - 2000%!! And that's on top of your regular homeowners insurance policy. Anyone who's got a mortgage will be forced to pay it by their lender. I'm sure Spring Hillan can tell you all about it since their county Hernando is subject to the highest increase, over 2000%. Whether sinkholes are common or infrequent in certain areas of FL, just the idea of my house falling into one & me along with it is enough to terrify me. Palmetto bugs, gators, insects that live all year round, mold, hot steamy humid weather that make my joints act up, well thanks, but no thanks. It's a nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there.

Some Citizens sinkhole rates could rise thousands of dollars - St. Petersburg
Living in paradise isn't cheap.

Old 08-18-2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
If you read my original post, it said clearly that perspectives change.

Simply pointing out that the grass may or may not be greener on the other side.
How right you are, perspectives do change & when they do people should feel free to post them, whether or not you feel their gripes are legit or not, whether you understand their logic or not, whether they're telling the truth or not, cause what ever they say they're entitled to their opinion. Because of your love of Florida & the personal pride you take in your state you become offended if the poster is not giving a complimentary view, you then take a defensive stance, you & that other character on here, you come across as if it's a personal attack when people air their grievances. They have a right to say WHAT EVER they want without having to defend their position. And no, before you ask I am not a Floridian, I live in Delaware & am visiting this forum out of curiosity & also just because I can. And btw, we have beautiful beaches here as well. If anyone so desires to list a mile long list of grievances in regards to Delaware be my guest. I will not defend my state, I may voice my opinion, then again I may not since no matter how they feel I am happy here. We all aren't cut from the same mold so what's a turn on for me may be a turn off for them, but what I will do is read their opinions............and respect it.

Old 08-18-2011, 03:48 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,771,754 times
Quote:
How right you are, perspectives do change & when they do people should feel free to post them, whether or not you feel their gripes are legit or not, whether you understand their logic or not, whether they're telling the truth or not, cause what ever they say they're entitled to their opinion. Because of your love of Florida & the personal pride you take in your state you become offended if the poster is not giving a complimentary view, you then take a defensive stance, you & that other character on here, you come across as if it's a personal attack when people air their grievances. They have a right to say WHAT EVER they want without having to defend their position. And no, before you ask I am not a Floridian, I live in Delaware & am visiting this forum out of curiosity & also just because I can. And btw, we have beautiful beaches here as well. If anyone so desires to list a mile long list of grievances in regards to Delaware be my guest. I will not defend my state, I may voice my opinion, then again I may not since no matter how they feel I am happy here. We all aren't cut from the same mold so what's a turn on for me may be a turn off for them, but what I will do is read their opinions............and respect it.
Awesome post!!!!!! Very well said.

Old 08-18-2011, 03:58 PM

814 posts, read 2,043,645 times
IMHO Delaware beaches are all right if you only want to swim 3 maybe 4 months of the year due to water temps. I go to rehoboth and O C in the summertime and the water clarity does not compare to FL. its nice when you can walk out in the water past your waist and still see you feet in the clear blue water off the coast of Florida! from my personal perspective the snorkeling and scuba diving is way better in Florida!

Old 08-18-2011, 04:52 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,771,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigh110 View Post
IMHO Delaware beaches are all right if you only want to swim 3 maybe 4 months of the year due to water temps. I go to rehoboth and O C in the summertime and the water clarity does not compare to FL. its nice when you can walk out in the water past your waist and still see you feet in the clear blue water off the coast of Florida! from my personal perspective the snorkeling and scuba diving is way better in Florida!
Except Fort Myers beach.... Brown and not so clear.

Old 08-18-2011, 05:07 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
So, let me get this straight. Your thinking is telling me that City-Data is no more than a wall to write your message on not expecting a reply? It's just a place to vent your opinion and nobody is allowed or expected to rebutt that opinion? I always thought it was a place for open exchange of information directed at those who desire information about a particular place. However, apparently only negative thoughts are allowed. I find that strange.

For people who come here to get factual information, they instead read endless threads of crime, bad schools, bad roads, rude people, lousy weather, crummy employment opportunities, bad traffic, bad everything. So, if it is so bad for a person, instead of wallowing in despair for years, fix the problem. They all got here, they should be smart enough to figure a way back.

Negativity towards FL, or any place, is fine with me, its the utter
bulldoody that gets posted that offends my senses. I stopped rebutting
because what some perceive as an eternal hell is not the picture I see
of Florida and I've been a resident for 23 or so years.

If one has a total disregard for a place they chose to live in, by all means,
do what you have to do to make yourself happy. But to constantly
post endless strings of nonsense and complaints about the weather is, in
my opinion, extremely non-productive and probably unhealthy. Anyone who lives their life with a huge chip on their shoulders should take the necessary steps to lighten their load and move on with their lives.

There is no excuse for non-action in a life altering situation such as being
unbelievably unhappy due to the individuals place of residence.

However, for those who see Florida in a different light who post a differing opinion are not entitled to their opinion. Only the negative opinion is to be accepted as the facts.

At this juncture, I have decided to simply let the bulldoody fly. If
readers aren't bright enough to see what certain posters constantly and endlessly spout as nonsense, then let it be so, it just doesn't support the purpose of this venue.

if you can read opinions and accept them, you should be able to accept all opinions.

Quote:

Old 08-18-2011, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigh110 View Post

Well being from the northeast we live in seaonal time warps, LOL! We look forward to the summer for laying on the beach & getting into the ocean though it may not be crystal clear at least it is clean. And yeah, 3 months is about it, but it's enough since the same ole same ole can get old, then you wouldn't look forward to it anymore. Then we move onto fall & we look forward to cool crisp days & autumn leaves, sleeping w/o the AC with windows open & fresh air, wearing light weight jackets. Then old man winter rolls around but he has a place in our lives as well, & believe it or not he is welcomed too, since he kills all the airborne germs & the insects die, & off course we look forward to having a white Christmas whether we get 1 or not. Ice & snow? The norm is to look out for Jan & Feb, the diehard months where anything goes, we might get a blizzard or 2, not more than that other than some snow that doesn't amount to more than 4-5". Then we look forward to spring, ahh the smell of green grass, flowers in bloom & healthy trees. We love all 4 of our seasons, personally I wouldn't change it for anything. This past July it was as hot as hell, we had a couple of days that were 102*, we're not use to excessive heat & humidity so we suffered much, & was most greatful when those God awlful temps cooled down. That's how I personally know FL is not the place for me as well as most people who've lived up north all their lives. Excessive heat is oppressive & I would never want to call that the norm. You can keep it.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:48 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,247,070 times
Quote:
Well being from the northeast we live in seaonal time warps, LOL! We look forward to the summer for laying on the beach & getting into the ocean though it may not be crystal clear at least it is clean. And yeah, 3 months is about it, but it's enough since the same ole same ole can get old, then you wouldn't look forward to it anymore. Then we move onto fall & we look forward to cool crisp days & autumn leaves, sleeping w/o the AC with windows open & fresh air, wearing light weight jackets. Then old man winter rolls around but he has a place in our lives as well, & believe it or not he is welcomed too, since he kills all the airborne germs & the insects die, & off course we look forward to having a white Christmas whether we get 1 or not. Ice & snow? The norm is to look out for Jan & Feb, the diehard months where anything goes, we might get a blizzard or 2, not more than that other than some snow that doesn't amount to more than 4-5". Then we look forward to spring, ahh the smell of green grass, flowers in bloom & healthy trees. We love all 4 of our seasons, personally I wouldn't change it for anything. This past July it was as hot as hell, we had a couple of days that were 102*, we're not use to excessive heat & humidity so we suffered much, & was most greatful when those God awlful temps cooled down. That's how I personally know FL is not the place for me as well as most people who've lived up north all their lives. Excessive heat is oppressive & I would never want to call that the norm. You can keep it.
You hit the nail on the head with that. We did keep an acre in a little unspoiled place down there to put the toyhauler on for 2 weeks in Nov. and 2 weeks in March.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
So, let me get this straight. Your thinking is telling me that City-Data is no more than a wall to write your message on not expecting a reply? It's just a place to vent your opinion and nobody is allowed or expected to rebutt that opinion? I always thought it was a place for open exchange of information directed at those who desire information about a particular place. However, apparently only negative thoughts are allowed. I find that strange.

For people who come here to get factual information, they instead read endless threads of crime, bad schools, bad roads, rude people, lousy weather, crummy employment opportunities, bad traffic, bad everything. So, if it is so bad for a person, instead of wallowing in despair for years, fix the problem. They all got here, they should be smart enough to figure a way back.

Negativity towards FL, or any place, is fine with me, its the utter
bulldoody that gets posted that offends my senses. I stopped rebutting
because what some perceive as an eternal hell is not the picture I see
of Florida and I've been a resident for 23 or so years.

If one has a total disregard for a place they chose to live in, by all means,
do what you have to do to make yourself happy. But to constantly
post endless strings of nonsense and complaints about the weather is, in
my opinion, extremely non-productive and probably unhealthy. Anyone who lives their life with a huge chip on their shoulders should take the necessary steps to lighten their load and move on with their lives.

There is no excuse for non-action in a life altering situation such as being
unbelievably unhappy due to the individuals place of residence.

However, for those who see Florida in a different light who post a differing opinion are not entitled to their opinion. Only the negative opinion is to be accepted as the facts.

At this juncture, I have decided to simply let the bulldoody fly. If
readers aren't bright enough to see what certain posters constantly and endlessly spout as nonsense, then let it be so, it just doesn't support the purpose of this venue.

if you can read opinions and accept them, you should be able to accept all opinions.
Let you get it straight? Naw babe, you got it twisted. Opinions are just like a..holes, everybody's got one. I read just as many cheerleaders as I did naysayers, as best as I can recollect no one attacked the cheerleaders, so that's a false claim that only the negative opinions are welcomed, but give the readers some credit for having basic intelligence, realizing there will always be the pros & cons when it comes to opinions. And yes, people do ask for information & who could give better advice than the residents of the state, then allow people to draw their own conclusions. No one who has a ounce of sense will take any particular posters' opinion as iron clad, who would move to a state based on other people's opinions alone? However they will take into account the advice that's been given to them & be on the lookout so to speak. Messageboards are a great place to vent if you feel the need, no harm in it, let it all out if necessary, but when you get a opposing response it does not warrant guerilla warfare. Now you in particular, it is evident you take great pride in your state & your town & there's nothing wrong with that as a matter of fact I think everyone should, you voiced some sound & steadfast logic, but you need to take into account that everyone just doesn't share your views & their opinions are equally as valid as yours.

And while it's easy to come to the conclusion that if you're not happy with your environment you should just move on, well it's not quite that simple or easy is it? The housing market, your job, up rooting your children from school, all of which is complicated & very costly. You have to understand people are going to say whatever they wish to say, while many will fend off your attacks I'm sure there are others who are intimidated to say anything. This is just a messageboard, so don't take it so personal. This was a long, long thread & I enjoyed all who participated, the cheerleaders as well as the naysayers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida