Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2011, 04:47 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,123,127 times

Advertisements

Where does this FL doesnt impound cars myth come from anyway and how many times will we be subjected to the uninsured motorist mantra?

FL DOES impound cars, it's in the statute as it is in just about every state covered under the motor vehicle laws for "financial responsibility"

The incentive, for anyone to purchase insurance on anything anywhere, is simple, It prevents financial ruin. If someone causes or is in an accident with out insurance then they will be personally responsible for the damages and medical bills.

I dont even see why anyone thinks FL car insurance rates are so high in the first place.
That's another myth.

Old 08-26-2011, 05:33 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,770,229 times
Where Auto Insurance Is Most Expensive - NYTimes.com

That is where I tell my friends who say if I think it is expensive in FL, wait until I move to MA, it will be worse... I think not.

What the heck is wrong with Louisiana?????? FL is in the middle.

Old 08-26-2011, 06:00 AM

10,230 posts, read 6,314,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Well you see you have to pay for all those in FL who choose to drive around without car insurance.

When you live in the 4th most populated state and yet come in as one of the Top Five states with uninsured drivers the rest of us have to pay for it.

FL unlike other states doesn't impound cars when the driver is caught driving with no insurance, so there is no incentive for them to purchase insurance.

It is amazing how it works in other states when their car is impounded how they manage to come up with money for car insurance.
I had GEICO for 20 years up North. No accidents, yet they wanted to increase my insurance by almost $1,000 here. I badgered them why until they told me. Besides, the reasons you stated, they also said it was because there is no state required car inspections. People are driving unsafe cars and causing accidents.

Old 08-26-2011, 02:15 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I had GEICO for 20 years up North. No accidents, yet they wanted to increase my insurance by almost $1,000 here. I badgered them why until they told me. Besides, the reasons you stated, they also said it was because there is no state required car inspections. People are driving unsafe cars and causing accidents.
That's the reason. FL doesn't impound cars for driving with no insurance and you're right about the car inspections.

Having tires with treads on them and brakes that work are important.

Never lived in a state that didn't require a state inspection other than FL.

Having state inspections again would get unsafe vehicles off the roads as well as create jobs.

Old 08-26-2011, 02:28 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,302,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Having state inspections again would get unsafe vehicles off the roads as well as create jobs.
I'm not sure, but I think inspections were on a county-by-county basis and not every county did them. Hillsborough did it up until sometime in the late 90s. Odd thing to eliminate, but go figure.

Old 08-26-2011, 04:09 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,123,127 times
13 states do not have vehicle inspection laws. Anyone who drives with bad brakes, no lights,
bald tires, is a complete idiot to begin with.

Old 08-26-2011, 04:14 PM

3 posts, read 6,061 times
I've lived in TX since 1979 and think its a great state... SA n Lago Vista which is a suburb of Austin. I think there are rundown areas in any city and also drugs so we have to research our neighborhood to be. My husband, I n 3 girls are considering a move to FL. I have visited FL a few times n enjoyed it. I have been researching Coral Springs.
Looks like a good place to raise a family, get a very nice house for the $$$ and very good schools. My husband is a boat technician so a job shouldn't be too difficult. Any input?

Old 08-26-2011, 05:39 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,770,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
13 states do not have vehicle inspection laws. Anyone who drives with bad brakes, no lights,
Well, the idiots among us do..... I had a moron slide into the back of my tacoma, she had about NO tread on her tires.

Old 08-26-2011, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Then FL is loaded with idiots because it is quite common in addition to having no car insurance.

Funny they all have money for cigarettes though.

Old 08-26-2011, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
Well, the idiots among us do..... I had a moron slide into the back of my tacoma, she had about NO tread on her tires.

But I bet she had a cell phone.

It is unfortunate but many people unless they have to pass a car inspection in order to get a registration renewed don't care or think about tires and brakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida