Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 10:34 PM

126 posts, read 711,136 times

Advertisements

So many people on this forum say "I can't wait to go back to NY/NJ/PA/MI/NH/OH to enjoy all the great things they have to offer". What exactly do these places or any others offer that Florida does not? It confuses me. Many people act like these places are safer or cleaner or less of a hell than Florida, some are, but most cities in the NE are hellholes compared to Florida's cities. A girl I knew once told me that NJ's cities are "less ghetto" than Florida's. I almost died laughing! Makes me wonder what rose colored glasses these people are looking through. Your opinions please!

Last edited by td1026; 06-16-2011 at 12:03 AM..

Old 06-15-2011, 10:39 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,300,667 times
People come down here with unrealistic expectations and/or no financial stability. They do little to no research and, when they fail, they blame it on the entire state and go back to wherever they came from.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:44 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,301,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
People come down here with unrealistic expectations and/or no financial stability. They do little to no research and, when they fail, they blame it on the entire state and go back to wherever they came from.

Well said.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post

Very well said! I can see how this would make one bitter.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:02 PM

7,723 posts, read 12,614,165 times
I think it's several factors that Florida has that people generally don't want to deal with that are pretty rational if you think about it. Awful humidity, rude people, high cost of living, child molesters/pedophiles on every block, crime, hurricanes, & too many senior citizens. If I wasn't from Florida, Florida would never attract me as a state to settle down in. Especially if I had a family. But because I was born and raised there, I know that even those factors alone, aren't representative of what Florida is. At ALL. Florida is a great state with alot of great people (despite the rudeness) and has loads of fun things to do. I happen to like hurricanes and senior citizens. And I love beaches. They are highly therapeutic to me and I love being near them. It takes away the stresses of life. And that alone is enough to keep me around. And Florida has the BEST beaches in the country. Not only that but Florida has the some of the best FOOD in the country. You got high populations of Caribbean, European, & Latin-American people that bring their food with them and you got some of the best food in the world. Factor that in with the Asian and Middle-Eastern people that we also have (but in smaller numbers) and you've got a diverse state with countless food choices. And let's not mention our various theme parks to enjoy! What more do you need? Personally, I wouldn't raise my child there but it's a great place to vacation and retire!

Last edited by allenk893; 06-15-2011 at 11:12 PM..

Old 06-15-2011, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I think it's several factors that Florida has that people generally don't want to deal with that are pretty rational if you think about it. Awful humidity, rude people, high cost of living, child molesters/pedophiles on every block, crime, hurricanes, & too many senior citizens. If I wasn't from Florida, Florida would never attract me as a state to settle down in. Especially if I had a family. But because I was born and raised there, I know that even those factors alone, aren't representative of what Florida is. At ALL. Florida is a great state with alot of great people despite the rudeness. I happen to like hurricanes and senior citizens. And I love beaches. They are highly therapeutic to me and I love being near them. It takes away the stresses of life. And that alone is enough to keep me around. And Florida has the BEST beaches in the country. Not only that but Florida has the some of the best FOOD in the country. You got high populations of Caribbean, European, & Latin-American people that bring their food with them and you got some of the best food in the world. Factor that in with the Asian and Middle-Eastern people that we also have (but in smaller numbers) and you've got a diverse state with diverse food choices. What more do you need?
The only points I can agree on are Florida's beaches being the best, the diverse dining options, and that a lot of people cannot bear Florida's humidity, other than that, I entirely disagree. I've found rude people everywhere! Some of the rudest people I've ever encountered were in Arizona and Texas, where I have also lived, not Florida. Another thing I do not understand is why a sizable portion of senior citizens is a problem?! The United States seems to be the only country in the world that does not value its elderly. Very, very sad. We should be ashamed.

And if you think Florida has the most sex offenders/pedophiles, check out this link: http://www.missingkids.com/en_US/doc...fender-map.pdf

You might be surprised to see California, Oregon, Wisconsin, and Vermont rank far ahead of Florida, and to a lesser extent, Washington and Minnesota also rank higher.

There, I'm done defending my home against your idiotic claims. I've heard these same points uttered too many times to be content with reading them over and over

Old 06-15-2011, 11:25 PM

7,723 posts, read 12,614,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by td1026 View Post
The only points I can agree on are Florida's beaches being the best, the diverse dining options, and that a lot of people cannot bear Florida's humidity, other than that, I entirely disagree. I've found rude people everywhere! Some of the rudest people I've ever encountered were in Arizona and Texas, where I have also lived, not Florida. Another thing I do not understand is why a sizable portion of senior citizens is a problem?! The United States seems to be the only country in the world that does not value its elderly. Very, very sad. We should be ashamed.
I said I LIKED senior citizens in my posts. I just happen to know that alot of people don't. Nothing wrong with facing reality.

Quote:
And if you think Florida has the most sex offenders/pedophiles, check out this link: http://www.missingkids.com/en_US/doc...fender-map.pdf

You might be surprised to see California, Oregon, Wisconsin, and Vermont rank far ahead of Florida, and to a lesser extent, Washington and Minnesota also rank higher.
Not gonna lie. I'm utterly surprised. I always thought Florida had the highest. Thank you for that interesting and revealing tidbit. Now I can use that against those damn Californians.

Quote:
There, I'm done defending my home against your idiotic claims. I've heard these same points uttered too many times to be content with reading them over and over
Wow. No need to get defensive. Florida happens to be MY home as well and I have never ever forgot it. I just know that as a person that has lived abroad in various states and even another country, Florida isn't all that. I believe that the cons outweigh the pros for me. Maybe someday things will change for the better. I don't know. I will always love Florida but I wouldn't raise children there at all.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:36 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,300,667 times
Quote:
I don't know. I will always love Florida but I wouldn't raise children there at all.
I often dismiss entire states as well, too.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:10 AM

Quote:

Wow. No need to get defensive. Florida happens to be MY home as well and I have never ever forgot it. I just know that as a person that has lived abroad in various states and even another country, Florida isn't all that. I believe that the cons outweigh the pros for me. Maybe someday things will change for the better. I don't know. I will always love Florida but I wouldn't raise children there at all.
Of course I'm going to defend the truth. I'm sorry you feel that away about Florida. I wish more Floridians had the hometown pride that Texans do. I also have lived in other states as well. I'm guessing by S.A, you mean San Antonio, and if that's where you would rather raise a family, boy, I feel bad. I never met as many kids on drugs as I did in San Antonio! There were at least 5-10 guys who sold drugs in my graduating class, not to mention the kids above and below me. And I went to school in the suburb of Spring Branch, a place most would consider a nice little town. Now Texas, that's a place I would never raise a family, ever, unless of course I wanted my kids to try marijuana, cocaine, magic mushrooms, xanax & painkillers all before 17. Not to mention the drinking

Old 06-16-2011, 12:59 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
Default Every situation is different

I agree. I think it depends on one's expectations. If you think the sunshine will cure all your problems, then you'll probably be very disappointed. Misery follows you wherever you go. Also, someone's attitude might depend on where he came from in the first place, that is, if he lived in a run down area with nasty people & high crime, he might think this is Paradise. I mean, if you've lived on canned food all your life and suddenly you're served a home cooked meal for the first time, you're going to think you've died and gone to Heaven. Bad analogy, but it's 3 in the morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida