Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2011, 12:00 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,406,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
Nov-march is my happy time while here...
I do not have the heat intolerance you face, so January to December are the best FLA months for me. Maybe when I get a little jaded, it might shorten up a bit. We sure enjoyed the gulf sunset last night, 84 degrees with a sea breeze at dusk is like heaven.

Old 09-11-2011, 09:35 PM

272 posts, read 606,779 times
Creeping up on the best months now. Had some "cooler" nights over the last week or so. Bring on November!

Old 09-12-2011, 07:03 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,120,522 times
Looking forward to the cooler weather, but come early spring I'll be looking for the warmer weather so I can swim in the pool. Man, we really need to get a pool heater!

Old 09-12-2011, 09:12 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,302,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
Looking forward to the cooler weather, but come early spring I'll be looking for the warmer weather so I can swim in the pool. Man, we really need to get a pool heater!

You will get one in time I am sure.

Old 09-13-2011, 04:26 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,168,677 times
Quote from Sunny<<<<The southern hospitality is something we are all noticing. The people here are far much nicer then in the north. I notice even the younger people all say yes sir, yes mam etc. Something you seldom will find in Ohio is many younger kids even saying sir or mam or even going out of their way to help you. Here it seems they are all being nice and courteous.[LEFT]>>>>>>

Refresh me again.....where exactly do you live in Florida? Been here for over 30 years and "yes, ma'm, no sir" are not exactly common terms used by kids in my area. Using the word ma'am when talking with customers at work is sometimes considered a cut down by a lot of women under the age of 65 BTW. Most kids in Florida are from "Up North" or born to Northerners who have moved here who do not stress the "yes ma'm" unless they are military families.

Will agree people are friendlier here but not sure if it goes down to the younger generation being any nicer here than in any other state when they are hanging with friends.
If you are referring to kids you meet working in stores,parks, etc. , jobs often make greeting people, smiling, etc. part of the job or you can be let go. We teach the 10 foot rule the day you get the job. We even teach kids to say nice things about the baby in the stroller, your clothes, hair etc.......just part of the job sometimes.
[/LEFT]

Old 09-13-2011, 08:15 AM

84 posts, read 229,340 times
yes maam and sir are definitely still big here (i live in the panhandle). there are plenty of pockets of southern manners in fl. usually in the more rural areas or panhandle. even some down central and south, too.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:20 AM

84 posts, read 229,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days-in-Florida View Post

Swimming at midnight is also a blast. Getting to pick an ocean/beach to go to is also nice. We have covered many beaches in a month and a half and still have tons more to hit.

Heading down to Ft Myers, Naples, Venice soon. Hoping to get time to get up to the pandhandle beaches on the long weekend the kids get off for school for the holiday.
you should come up to Panama city. it's so nice once it cools down and the tourists are gone. also, mexico beach and port st joe. i hear st george island is nice too.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:54 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,987,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcbgirl99 View Post
yes maam and sir are definitely still big here (i live in the panhandle). there are plenty of pockets of southern manners in fl. usually in the more rural areas or panhandle. even some down central and south, too.
Very small pockets in Central Florida.

Old 09-13-2011, 01:40 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,626,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
Quote from Sunny<<<<The southern hospitality is something we are all noticing. The people here are far much nicer then in the north. I notice even the younger people all say yes sir, yes mam etc. Something you seldom will find in Ohio is many younger kids even saying sir or mam or even going out of their way to help you. Here it seems they are all being nice and courteous.[LEFT]>>>>>>

Refresh me again.....where exactly do you live in Florida? Been here for over 30 years and "yes, ma'm, no sir" are not exactly common terms used by kids in my area. Using the word ma'am when talking with customers at work is sometimes considered a cut down by a lot of women under the age of 65 BTW. Most kids in Florida are from "Up North" or born to Northerners who have moved here who do not stress the "yes ma'm" unless they are military families.

Will agree people are friendlier here but not sure if it goes down to the younger generation being any nicer here than in any other state when they are hanging with friends.
If you are referring to kids you meet working in stores,parks, etc. , jobs often make greeting people, smiling, etc. part of the job or you can be let go. We teach the 10 foot rule the day you get the job. We even teach kids to say nice things about the baby in the stroller, your clothes, hair etc.......just part of the job sometimes.
[/LEFT]
SD90 says they're in the Orlando area, now anyone familiar with Orlando(voted America's angriest city a few years back) is hardly full of southern hospitality.

Yes you get polite and friendly at Disney, they like keeping their jobs.

But to say people here are more polite, give it a rest.

I have lived mostly out in the western United States, and I see rude behavior on the roads and in the stores on a daily basis. The teens are very "ghetto acting"(and I mean ALL races). And for the most part they're transplants from up north.

SD90 also said they were here a month (July) and didn't see one bug....PLEASE....I can't walk from my house to the mailbox and not come across a bug...this is FL in the summer.

Let's remember this is the Internet.

Old 09-13-2011, 04:09 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,194,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
SD90 says they're in the Orlando area, now anyone familiar with Orlando(voted America's angriest city a few years back) is hardly full of southern hospitality.

Yes you get polite and friendly at Disney, they like keeping their jobs.

But to say people here are more polite, give it a rest.

I have lived mostly out in the western United States, and I see rude behavior on the roads and in the stores on a daily basis. The teens are very "ghetto acting"(and I mean ALL races). And for the most part they're transplants from up north.

SD90 also said they were here a month (July) and didn't see one bug....PLEASE....I can't walk from my house to the mailbox and not come across a bug...this is FL in the summer.

Let's remember this is the Internet.
I'm in my 50s and I never get "sir" out of the younger generation. It's either 'boss', 'bro', 'bud' or a cold stare ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida