Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 03:43 PM

711 posts, read 1,855,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
Using your logic-you're spending time in grade, ergo you're not advancing, ergo, it's time for you to go (that's also military,btw).
I'm not saying to fire teachers just because they aren't advancing (though union contracts make advancement pretty much automatic), but because we have far too many of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 03:46 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,943,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randian View Post
Paying teachers more did not measurably improve student performance. Giving teachers less to do (smaller classes) did not improve student performance. Ergo, teachers are overpaid, and there are too many of them. So no, I have no problem paying them less and firing more. It's not as if we'll be in short supply of teachers.

As for my job, not I don't demand pay raises just for spending time in grade (that's a military term btw).
This is disgusting. You owe your own education to teachers and you have the nerve to use the very skills of reading and writing they taught you to diminish them on this board. Sad day for America...

Last edited by OrlFlaUsa; 06-27-2011 at 03:46 PM.. Reason: fix

Old 06-27-2011, 03:52 PM

73 posts, read 113,744 times
Scott wants to keep the future generations of Florida stupid so he, and scumbags like him, can keep getting voted into office.

Old 06-27-2011, 04:33 PM

711 posts, read 1,855,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
You owe your own education to teachers
I wasn't aware that made them beyond reproach.

Old 06-27-2011, 04:45 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,219,447 times
Quote:
I'm not saying to fire teachers just because they aren't advancing (though union contracts make advancement pretty much automatic), but because we have far too many of them.
I can honestly say that I've never heard anyone who legitimately knows anything about education say that.

Old 06-27-2011, 04:54 PM

1,464 posts, read 1,841,077 times
Come on, our educational system around the country has suffered over the past 3 decades, prim arily due to the union influence. Basically tenuring incompetent teachers (yes, there are some out there- believe it or not) just because of time rendered is stupid. Why not give merit raises like the rest of America? I'm tired of giving my tax money to burnt out teachers who are phoning it in until they can get their pension. Our school system could have used this system.

Old 06-27-2011, 04:56 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,929,147 times
No fan of Scott. But teachers have been doing alright compared to most other job areas. Depends on when you got in. In fact, all govt has been outpacing private sector for past 10 yrs. This is a major problem. I have no problem w/ people having a good quality of life, but when the private sector is shriveling and the public/govt is growing you have a big problem.

Smaller class sizes and more one on one teaching has been shown to produce better results though. I can agree that throwing money at a problem doesn't necessarily solve anything.

Personally, I would like to see more educational options more readily available to all. Not just public schooling.

All of that said I would much rather see all this money we are spending on endless military invasions, wars, debt etc... channeled into better quality of life services such as education, training, health care and jobs.

The number one issue any of these states needs to be focusing on in my opinion is US JOB CREATION environment. Ask anybody on the street and I would bet odds are in your favor they would say the same. Instead the opposite is still happening. You have to stop and ask why that is?

Old 06-27-2011, 04:58 PM

72 posts, read 105,170 times
Because those of you who voted for that crook ARE stupid!

Old 06-27-2011, 07:33 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,943,179 times
Quote:
I wasn't aware that made them beyond reproach.
Never said they were beyond reproach. However, you said they were overpaid and that you have no problem paying them less, which is disgusting. New teachers barley make enough to have a small mortgage/rent payment, car, few bills including student loans, and enough to save a few hundred per month. Yeah, talk about overpaid.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:34 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,300,667 times
Do any of you teacher-bashers realize that Florida teachers' unions are little more than token organizations? This is the result of a botched teacher strike back in 1968.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: