U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2011, 08:04 AM

4,225 posts, read 5,679,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
This is an oversimplification. Teacher's salary/benefits don't necessarily equate to a better educated child.
Are you saying you're going to hire the best, most experienced teachers by paying them less? The days of paying someone in "sunshine" or room and board are over, dude. Start making it hard for a teacher to make a living and all you'll get are teachers right out of school themselves, and eventually you won't even get them. Keep repeating the mantra that Florida considers teachers unworthy of a decent paycheck, and they'll avoid this state. One thing about teachers-they're generally not stupid and their training is transferable to many other occupations.

Last edited by vaughanwilliams; 07-05-2011 at 08:58 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 08:38 AM

6,853 posts, read 19,766,420 times
I just don't see how people didn't see this coming. Education is one of the largest parts of the state budget. Did people really think he wouldn't touch education and cut everything else?

Old 07-05-2011, 11:27 AM

1,458 posts, read 1,485,162 times
Let me express it this way so we won't get tangled up in word choices. Any social issues (homosexuality, religion, ethics, etc) should be taught by the parents according to their beliefs and values. It should not be couched by any type of political viewpoint that the teacher, school system, or union has. That should not be the focus of a child's school day. Learning the skills to live and work in society should be the focus --Math, Science, Literature, Art, Music, History, etc. Not a social agenda that some may not adhere to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Hmmm, not really. If you mean being gay/lesbian it's not a choice. So are you referring to the choice to not have children, the choice to not marry, the choice to not attend church...? There's lots of choices.

Old 07-05-2011, 01:26 PM

21,122 posts, read 30,217,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggy2 View Post
Let me express it this way so we won't get tangled up in word choices. Any social issues (homosexuality, religion, ethics, etc) should be taught by the parents according to their beliefs and values. It should not be couched by any type of political viewpoint that the teacher, school system, or union has. That should not be the focus of a child's school day. Learning the skills to live and work in society should be the focus --Math, Science, Literature, Art, Music, History, etc. Not a social agenda that some may not adhere to.
I agree 100%. The sticky part comes from who chooses the curriculum. Unfortunately it's usually driven by the squeakiest wheels on the PTA or those politically motivated on the school board and out of the hands of teachers. Of the group teachers I find typically operate without a hidden agenda.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:28 PM

150 posts, read 413,354 times
All I'm gonna say is this: people voted for the guy, and now they have to deal with the consequences. Why they did so is beyond me, but who am I to dictate whom they should have voted for? We're all entitled to have choices.

Either way, it still sucks that, even if you didn't vote for him, you still have to deal with him. I just hope he doesn't do anything too stupid between now and the next gubernatorial election. There are times when I think political figures should try living as ordinary civilians, if only for a day or two. I'm sure most would re-think their opinions if they did.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:50 AM

4,836 posts, read 10,159,623 times
Quote:
WHAT ELSE COULD HE DO. The state has NO MONEY!!!!!! You have to make cuts and education is a huge part of the states budget. They need to make cuts. Rather have some cuts across the board then a bankrupted state.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:35 PM

When a family is doing badly financially, they make cuts to their budgets, sometimes painful cuts. They sell their house and rent, if it costs less to do so. They use their kids' college money to pay bills. They sell family heirlooms on Ebay. They forgo vacations, cut down on food expenses, cancel the cable. All of it hurts. Why should Florida be different? That's life. It happens.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:02 PM

4,225 posts, read 5,679,257 times
Or they get a second job-what they don't do is build Taj Mahal court houses.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
Or they get a second job-what they don't do is build Taj Mahal court houses.
That too.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:16 AM

4,678 posts, read 8,495,045 times
Quote:
Apparently the Governor thinks we're all stupid
Well... More then half of Florida's voters did vote for him... So maybe for him it's a "knows" and not "thinks"..

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or