U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 09:38 AM

38 posts, read 71,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polaroid View Post
There are no original people in Florida. They moved there or their relatives moved there from the north.

When I read this the "original people" came to my mind . . . Native Americans . . . and the Trail of Tears. Yes, the original people "moved" alright . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeGirl78 View Post
I can remember in the 80's a very popular bumper sticker in Florida.... "Welcome to Florida!! Now go HOME!"
I love it . . . , roflmbbo!

Signed,

Just anotha Yankee

Old 09-14-2011, 09:44 AM

23,440 posts, read 31,748,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinlocks View Post

When I read this the "original people" came to my mind . . . Native Americans . . . and the Trail of Tears. Yes, the original people "moved" alright . . .
The Trail of Tears was the Cherokee people, not the Seminoles.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
The Trail of Tears was the Cherokee people, not the Seminoles.
The concept, the deal with "original peoples" . . . I repeat, reminds me of TOT, and the plight of original peoples nonetheless. Northerners (like myself), Southerners, Spaniards, whatever, none of them/us were the "original peoples". The OP simply reminded me of that fact; and how the "original people" ahem, left, this place that's all. Just keeping it real with myself.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:54 AM

2 posts, read 3,061 times
Default Welcome to Oregon -Now go home!

I remember seeing that bumper sticker when i was in Oregon. You have to realize, of course; most people in Oregon are from California. The locals in the Tri-City area were quite hostile; upon seeing my car's California plates, they would hit me with their high beams, on and off, on and off. Even their Highway Patrol had a crappy attitude; they cited me for going ONE MILE over the 55 mph speed limit on the freeway! That's what happens when there isn't enough work for folks; they get hostile and aggressive to any perceived threat, even if it doesn't exist. All Californians aren't bad people, just as all Mexicans aren't bad people. There are druggies and terrorists in all cultures, except for a few isolated cultures. If you tell me to go back where i came from, i would be happy to do so: I'm from Honolulu, Hawaii!

Old 09-14-2011, 12:09 PM

22,554 posts, read 47,371,866 times
Yes, the actual Trail of Tears often refers to the Cherokees forced walk from southeastern Tennessee/Northern Georgia to Oklahoma. But it also mean the forcing of several tribes in the southeastern US to that territory. The Seminoles were one of those tribes although they did not leave without a fight and some managed to remain as did some of the Cherokee that hid in the mountains.

Trail of Tears - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And yes, they are the original locals.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,469 times
The real problem is: Too many Yankees with to much attitude. My family has been in the south on all sides my dads family for almost 400 years and my mom is Native "American". I have been here all of my 70 years. What we hear a lot of is: I think I am a southerner now that I have lived here for 10 years or 50 years. I was born here, so that makes me a southerner! Well not really. As for as true southerners are concerned, you are only a true southerner if your family history was here before 1860. Back in the days before migration here was increased a hundred fold, there wasn't a lot of concern. As the migration increased to an unsustainable level folks began to get a little
perturbed. I hear lots of the northern folks say that we should be happy that they all came here and help us pay for more schools, more roads, more this and more that---you get the point. I have been through many droughts in my time and before the big northern migration I can't remember having water bans. Now with the massive population increase. We have a had our resources have reached the breaking point. Not short I know, but this is only a few of the reasons southerners would be happy if you had just paid us a visit, spent your money then go home. You asked!

Old 01-25-2012, 09:58 PM

258 posts, read 530,263 times
We like NE Money .... As long as you got money, WELCOME TO FLORIDA.

Black, red, white and yellow ... we don't care what color, as long as you got GREEN to spend !!!

Come on down Yankees !!!!

Old 02-02-2012, 03:47 AM

210 posts, read 569,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Joe View Post
The real problem is: Too many Yankees with to much attitude. My family has been in the south on all sides my dads family for almost 400 years and my mom is Native "American". I have been here all of my 70 years. What we hear a lot of is: I think I am a southerner now that I have lived here for 10 years or 50 years. I was born here, so that makes me a southerner! Well not really. As for as true southerners are concerned, you are only a true southerner if your family history was here before 1860. Back in the days before migration here was increased a hundred fold, there wasn't a lot of concern. As the migration increased to an unsustainable level folks began to get a little
perturbed. I hear lots of the northern folks say that we should be happy that they all came here and help us pay for more schools, more roads, more this and more that---you get the point. I have been through many droughts in my time and before the big northern migration I can't remember having water bans. Now with the massive population increase. We have a had our resources have reached the breaking point. Not short I know, but this is only a few of the reasons southerners would be happy if you had just paid us a visit, spent your money then go home. You asked!
I'm gonna move to NY and drive 15 under the speed limit, honk my horn, flip people off, act completely self absorbed or maybe i'll just try to re-define the history of NY or some other NOrthern State so it fits in my comfort zone..disregarding all facts and history...yeah i could try to turn NY into a little country town in rural Florida....come on yall lets go! Truthfully though I don't mind the people from up North who just come down to visit its the ones that come down here to die...they want to take our states culture and heritage to the grave with them.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:24 AM

161 posts, read 347,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeFloridan View Post
I'm gonna move to NY and drive 15 under the speed limit, honk my horn, flip people off, act completely self absorbed or maybe i'll just try to re-define the history of NY or some other NOrthern State so it fits in my comfort zone..disregarding all facts and history...yeah i could try to turn NY into a little country town in rural Florida....come on yall lets go! Truthfully though I don't mind the people from up North who just come down to visit its the ones that come down here to die...they want to take our states culture and heritage to the grave with them.
Don't forget to never ever ever use a turn signal! Don't cars come with owners manual that explain what those stick like thingys are sticking out from the steering column and how use of them will help prevent people running them over!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or