Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 06:18 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
Greed my friend, they all got greedy. Now they are bottom feeding. Buying low, waiting to resell high...
Ain't that the truth. You can see it in the posts. They think the second irrational exuberance is coming, a one-off if I ever seen one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Gal now View Post
All that...and you stopped trying to order a "buhgah" at McDonald's...

A bugah and a cahffee.

I'm still over here laughing about the condo dog poop statement. That has to be the best line in CD history. I just read a post in the Fort Myers forum by a woman that thinks the dog poop DNA testing is a GREAT idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
MA is a funny state, everyone past Worcester has the accent, we from Western MA out in the sticks have NO accent at all... When i came to FL, people said I had an accent, I think not...
That's Woostah County, bubba.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 12:57 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,887,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Ain't that the truth. You can see it in the posts. They think the second irrational exuberance is coming, a one-off if I ever seen one.
LMAO, I read some real estate jerks column somewhere on the internet and he predicted Floridas real estate wouldn't get back to pre-2006 prices for another 25 years...

I guess those greedy bastards have a long wait ahead of them..

Old 06-30-2011, 05:33 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,517,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
A lot of it is due to transplants coming down and pricing out natives while trying to bring their old ways of life with them. This seems to be especially prevalent among New Yorkers, who seem to waste no time telling you that "(Florida city) is nothing like New York because...." and variants like that.

It's getting harder to find people who think the South will rise again, but they're out there and I don't think they're taken seriously as a whole.
Pretty much. Times change though. If they are getting priced out make more money or move somewhere else.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:07 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,739,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
It's not so much 'yankee' but ex New York City rersidents. They bring their beliefs, lack of following rules, lack of morals and disgusting habits with them and try to force their garbage on the rest of us. .
Are you serious or are you joking?

Old 06-30-2011, 12:17 PM

So, how about Canadians? Are they Yankees? Just curious, since I know that Canadians have a real impact on the Florida economy, and in some quarters, at least in the past, the French-speaking ones have been derided.

We're new snowbirds, and I'm hoping to always keep in mind that sign, "We don't give a damn how you do it up north". I love Florida, have been to various parts many times, and I believe I'm respectful of the myriad of cultures that exist, and how different they might be from mine back home.

I also don't think I'm a greedy vulture. We bought a condo at an attractive price. Yes, our presence is helping the economy, but we feel very grateful that we have found such a pleasant place to spend the winter. Oh, and I think it's great that there's some New Yorkers who live there!

Old 06-30-2011, 01:00 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwanderer View Post
So, how about Canadians? Are they Yankees? Just curious, since I know that Canadians have a real impact on the Florida economy, and in some quarters, at least in the past, the French-speaking ones have been derided.

We're new snowbirds, and I'm hoping to always keep in mind that sign, "We don't give a damn how you do it up north". I love Florida, have been to various parts many times, and I believe I'm respectful of the myriad of cultures that exist, and how different they might be from mine back home.

I also don't think I'm a greedy vulture. We bought a condo at an attractive price. Yes, our presence is helping the economy, but we feel very grateful that we have found such a pleasant place to spend the winter. Oh, and I think it's great that there's some New Yorkers who live there!
I hope you tip when you go out to eat, I have waited on I dont know how many Canadians that dont.

Old 06-30-2011, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I hope you tip when you go out to eat, I have waited on I dont know how many Canadians that dont.
That must be the "other" Canadians It's normal here in Toronto to tip 15-20%, depending on service.

Old 06-30-2011, 01:04 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:
That must be the "other" Canadians It's normal here in Toronto to tip 15-20%, depending on service.
Glad to hear that, its a common complaint in the restaurant world here.

Old 06-30-2011, 10:00 PM

388 posts, read 1,125,297 times
Quote:
So, how about Canadians?

I'm sure that most folks from Canada are great, but the few that I have been around spent their time telling me that Canada was far better in almost every aspect than the USA. When I asked them why they were down in Florida they said because the weather was better.

Needless to say, although I am sure that most folks from Canada are good people, I have yet to meet a good one.

I do like the Trailer Park Boys though.

As far as Yankees go, my wife was born and raised in Indian Rocks Beach and I tell her she is a Yankee.

I happen to like Yankees.

I used to love meeting girls from NJ when I would go to the beach. My accent would make their panties drop, and that's alright with me.

Old 07-01-2011, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ga Jerk View Post
Needless to say, although I am sure that most folks from Canada are good people, I have yet to meet a good one.

I do like the Trailer Park Boys though.
Well I learned long ago when I started travelling that it's best not to talk about politics and religion, and that nationalism should be left at home. So I try to abide by that when I'm in Florida or elsewhere.

Of course, if someone insists on asking me about universal healthcare, I will tell them what I know.

And yes, perhaps everybody would think better of Canadians if they thought about the Trailer Park Boys as being typical. Or the McKenzie Brothers. Or Sargent Preston. Or Dudley Dooright. Just not Celine Dionne, please!

I do hope you meet a good one some day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida