Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 07:51 AM

388 posts, read 1,125,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwanderer View Post
Just not Celine Dionne, please!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 09:05 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
I don't think it's fair to hold Celine Dionne against anyone.

Besides, Shania Twain and Alanis Morrisette cancel her out.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:39 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,740,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post

Besides, Shania Twain and Alanis Morrisette cancel her out.
Yeh well, glad you like them! I don't particularly. How about Neil Young or Dan Ackroyd?

Old 07-01-2011, 11:33 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Quote:
Yeh well, glad you like them! I don't particularly. How about Neil Young or Dan Ackroyd?
I like them, too.

Of course I have a lot of family there and they are pretty great, also.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:05 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,771,754 times
I have family in canada, and the company I work for is canadian, they pay well, and are great people...

Old 07-01-2011, 12:12 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
Ive lived a few years in the Florida Panhandle now, and im hearing more and more of this 'Civil War' overtone ; its almost as if the Civil War was still in effect ! Is it just a case of many Southerners resenting Northerners 'infiltrating' their homeland ... or is there jealousy of some sort ?? Im not trying to promote dissension by posting this topic, but Im just a little sad that this kind of thing seems widespread --- dont such people know that we are the UNITED States now ??? WHen i lived up north, I really found Southern folks very nice and loved thier accents .
That's why I kept going when I drove to FL! Destin is really pretty, however, and I'm sure it has changed quite a bit since then. Navarre Beach was practically deserted when I was in that area, and now I see pictures with highrises and lots of expensive condos. I also stayed for a month in Gulf Shores AL which is just on the other side of the FL border. Even back in the early 90s, someone on the beach asked me why a Yankee like me wasn't vacationing in Miami. I've told this story before, but it sounds like that line from "Terms of Endearment." I told her I lived in NH and she said, "Well, I guess that's better than being from New York."

By the way, my friend from Georgia didn't feel that the Northerners were so polite and welcoming when she was there. She said, "As soon as I open my mouth, I get strange looks as if I'm from Mars." Places like New York and MA aren't as liberal as people claim. There are "pockets" where there are a lot of colleges, and college towns are usually more liberal and culturally diversified, but once you get away from the big cities, you run into the same type of small town attitudes you see down here.

Politically the South was always Democrat, but it's become very, very conservative over the past several years. As others have mentioned, right now there are many concerns about the economy, jobs, housing and political unrest has sparked hostility and resentment.

Last edited by justNancy; 07-01-2011 at 12:21 PM..

Old 07-01-2011, 12:34 PM

371 posts, read 816,156 times
Funny thing is, you don't see the same attitude in California, for whatever reason. I'm born and raised in Orange County, where there is a relatively small population of people who were born and raised in this area (in my office, there are more people born and raised in New Jersey, then in OC). But, no one seems to really care about all of the "transplants." I never hear anyone complain about newcombers. I grew up in Newport Beach, where only a very small portion of the residents grew up in the area, and where we have a substantial number of people who grew up out of state. We never complain about transplants, no one really seemed to care. I wonder why transplants don't bother me, but they bother people in Florida.

I went to graduate school in the San Francisco bay area, and my brother has lived there for years, and you never hear anyone complain about newcombers. San Francisco has the lowest proportion (by far) of residents who are 18 years and younger of any big city in the country. This means that basically no one grows up in San Francisco, and virtually the entire population moved from elsewhere. Yet, no one cares about where you came from, and no one complains about newcombers and transplants.

I wonder why it is so different.

Old 07-01-2011, 03:33 PM

1,710 posts, read 3,139,059 times
Quote:
And Rush and Triumph.

Old 07-01-2011, 05:28 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,247,070 times
It must have something to do with the war. Their still practicing it a few times a year down there to figure out what went wrong.

Old 07-01-2011, 06:06 PM

374 posts, read 945,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
It must have something to do with the war. Their still practicing it a few times a year down there to figure out what went wrong.
Ya know, I kinda have to agree with you on this one. If you LOSE the war, why do you want to re-enact it over and over again Kind of like rubbing salt in your own wounds...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida