U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 05:30 AM

769 posts, read 1,063,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Then they must have had credits from another job that paid a lot more prior to collecting. Even if they had worked that minimum wage job for eight years, they wouldn't qualify for the full benefit.
No, but if they worked an $8 an hour job for 3 quarters and a $13-14 an hour job for one quarter they would qualify. That's the stupid part. IMO it should be based on your income at the time you lost your job, not 8 months ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 05:43 AM

22,128 posts, read 28,874,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker24 View Post
No, but if they worked an $8 an hour job for 3 quarters and a $13-14 an hour job for one quarter they would qualify. That's the stupid part. IMO it should be based on your income at the time you lost your job, not 8 months ago.
They'd need more than one quarter of the higher paying job. If they had four quarters of the higher paying job and then one or two quarters of the minimum wage job, they'd get a higher benefit, but I still don't think they'd quite max out.

Old 06-29-2011, 05:46 AM

696 posts, read 1,045,944 times
Quote:

I moved to Florida in July of 2005 (u/e rate was around or under 2%), and was working a temp job that paid $14 an hour to basically perform data entry within two weeks, and within six weeks had a full time permanent job with a good salary and benefits. My son found work within a month, he had several offers that he turned down as he had a specific type of work he wanted to do that he was willing to wait for.

I'm not advocating reducing benefits when the u/e rate remains high, but the length of time in which you can claim benefits should be tied to the unemployment rate. There's no reason for our tax dollars to pay a slacker to stay home and play video games for six months when u/e is low and there are plenty of jobs to be had in all fields.
Again, were you ever unemployed? If so, for how long and did you dip into your savings?

Its fine and dandy when Unemployment is low and you were able to find a job of your choice but NO ONE seems to be talking how long it took them to find a job when things were bad.

Tying unemployment benefits to employment rate is meaningless. Its like saying lets tie that to your 401K balance.

If 401K balance is < 100K, you get 20 number of weeks.

If 401K balance is > 100K, you get 10 number of weeks.

AND I can find folks who will argue that this idea is good

Old 06-29-2011, 05:55 AM

Quote:
They'd need more than one quarter of the higher paying job. If they had four quarters of the higher paying job and then one or two quarters of the minimum wage job, they'd get a higher benefit, but I still don't think they'd quite max out.
"Your benefits are calculated by taking the highest amount of money earned during any quarter in the base period and dividing it by 26, subject to the minimum and maximum limits of $32 and $275."

Old 06-29-2011, 05:56 AM

696 posts, read 1,045,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
IIRC the maximum unemployment benefit in FL is $275. (we've discussed this on CD before) I don't know how anyone expects a family to live on that. Yet some are acting as if people actually want to remain unemployed and live on less than $1,200 a month.
I agree. $275 is the maximum and it doesn't even pay my monthly living expenses( rent+ utilities) so I don't see how or why anyone can live and yet take 6 months off and play video games

Infact, the maximum amount $275 has NOT changed in 10 years!!! Can Rick Scott work on keeping that up with inflation to ask for the least

Link: Could you live on $275 a week? That's Florida's maximum unemployment benefit - South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

In Massachusetts, unemployed workers collect up to $600 a week. In Georgia, they take home up to $440 a week.

Old 06-29-2011, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampaite View Post
Again, were you ever unemployed? If so, for how long and did you dip into your savings?

Its fine and dandy when Unemployment is low and you were able to find a job of your choice but NO ONE seems to be talking how long it took them to find a job when things were bad.

Tying unemployment benefits to employment rate is meaningless. Its like saying lets tie that to your 401K balance.

No, the benefits should be tied to how hot it is outside on the day you become unemployed .

Old 06-29-2011, 06:18 AM

5,507 posts, read 5,123,935 times
What Scott will accomplish is turning FL blue in the presidential election and the next governors race.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:25 AM

Quote:

Yes, I lost my job due to relocation of the company in January of 2009. I dipped into my savings a bit, but mostly because I took a planned vacation while I was unemployed. (No, I didn't collect unemployment that week.)

I knew in mid-December that I wouldn't have a job come sometime shortly after the beginning of the year, and began looking immediately. I found a new position the last week of February, same field, slightly more money. So it took me about 10 weeks to find a job at the peak of the unemployment crisis. I could make the argument that because that time frame spanned the holidays when many offices weren't exactly looking at resumes that it was closer to eight weeks.

Quote:

Typing unemployment benefits to the unemployment rate makes good sense. The lower the unemployment rate, the easier it is to get a job. Why should people be able to collect for six months when it takes on average one month to find work? That's just common sense. Unemployment is not means tested, so your logic is irrelevant. I'd never agree with tying unemployment benefits to savings, that's punishing people who actually were responsible and saved.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:29 AM

Quote:
I agree. $275 is the maximum and it doesn't even pay my monthly living expenses( rent+ utilities) so I don't see how or why anyone can live and yet take 6 months off and play video games

Infact, the maximum amount $275 has NOT changed in 10 years!!! Can Rick Scott work on keeping that up with inflation to ask for the least

Link: Could you live on $275 a week? That's Florida's maximum unemployment benefit - South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

In Massachusetts, unemployed workers collect up to $600 a week. In Georgia, they take home up to $440 a week.
Because not everyone who is unemployed lives alone and supports themself. Many live with family, have a working spouse, etc. I know a number of people who did just that, got laid off and spent five months fishing. As their benefits were about to expire, they began to seek work. Trust me, I paid the u/e charges to the State for my company after we laid off some people.

By the way, if you want MA benefits, plan on paying MA taxes for them. It ain't pretty.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker24 View Post
"Your benefits are calculated by taking the highest amount of money earned during any quarter in the base period and dividing it by 26, subject to the minimum and maximum limits of $32 and $275."
So a person making minimum wage would get $145 in u/e benefits unless they had a higher paying job in a previous quarter within the base period.

As I said:

Quote:
Then they must have had credits from another job that paid a lot more prior to collecting. Even if they had worked that minimum wage job for eight years, they wouldn't qualify for the full benefit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida