Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 06:21 PM

26,826 posts, read 43,300,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkeeganinorl View Post
I suppose we could continue paying unemployment at the current rate.. oh.. we could also add a state income tax like almost all of the rest of the US. i am sure none of you would mind forking over another 8-10% of your income every year.. Maybe you all better start realizing that someone has got to cut benefits. oh... i served 20 years in the military.. I have already lost all of my dental benefits.. 20% of my medical.. we all have to give up benefits.. or we could be in the same boat as Greece...
Here's an idea, instead of outspending the next ten country's militaries by two we outspend by just a little and use the part of that amount to take care of our own citizens, rather than take things away so we can maintain our overt military superiority without any substantial targeted threat. Weird thought I know but might be worth exploring, dontcha' think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 06:27 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,481,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker24 View Post
I don't see UF in the top 20 listing for business schools. And that's top 20 in the whole country- public and private included. Indiana's law school is also higher ranked than UF.

Your point about demand is right on. If they continue to increase rates demand for state universities will drop.
UF is a top 20 public overall and Indiana is not. One can cherry pick a few programs at any school. They are both AAU institutions however.

Forbes actually has FSU ahead of Indiana.

Old 06-30-2011, 06:34 PM

769 posts, read 2,043,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
UF is a top 20 public overall and Indiana is not. One can cherry pick a few programs at any school. They are both AAU institutions however.

Top 20 public? How many of UF's other schools are ranked in the top 20? How can they be a top 20 overall university if none of their colleges are ranked in the top 20?

Old 06-30-2011, 06:38 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,899,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Here's an idea, instead of outspending the next ten country's militaries by two we outspend by just a little and use the part of that amount to take care of our own citizens, rather than take things away so we can maintain our overt military superiority without any substantial targeted threat. Weird thought I know but might be worth exploring, dontcha' think?
And stop all unauthorized humane kinetic military action? Could be the only thing backing the dollar.

Well there is always the valuable debt.

Might also help if we could actually find the missing trillions and hey maybe if the FED stopped loaning all over the globe on taxpayer backs.

Old 06-30-2011, 06:39 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,041,268 times
Quote:
Top 20 public? How many of UF's other schools are ranked in the top 20? How can they be a top 20 overall university if none of their colleges are ranked in the top 20?
Huh?

Old 06-30-2011, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Huh?
I meant none of their majors, which are usually "colleges", such as business, law, medicine, etc.

Old 06-30-2011, 06:50 PM

Quote:
You need to just accept the reality that your statement was way off. Both UF and Indiana are in the very select group of AAU universities. If you look at various of the ranking resources UF is ahead. I'm not about to go look up rankings for individual schools.

Clearly if your claims are correct about law and business and Indiana are is still ranked in the high 30's then the quality of various other programs must be pretty poor. You can't reference rankings you like and then chose to question the same rankings because you just found out UF is viewed as a better school.

This is your second thread where you are way off on University reputations.

Old 06-30-2011, 06:55 PM

Quote:

And by the way comparing public universities to other public universities is worthless. The true comparison comes when you rank them right next to the private universities so one can decide if that public university is providing the same education. There's no doubt that UF provides a good value for what they charge, but portraying it to be a really, really good school is ridiculous. How many employers outside of FL or maybe even the southeastern US will know what UF is or even that it squeezed into some top 50 rankings?

I guess maybe it depends on your line of work and how well it ranks within that field. But when a university has a clear reputation for being a leader across multiple subject areas, more people know about it. At the end of the day- that is what matters when you are looking for that next great job (how well the employer perceives the university to be or if they even have heard of it), whether that is fair or not. When I interviewed for jobs outside of FL, the employers made it clear they did not know anything about any university in FL.

Last edited by newyorker24; 06-30-2011 at 07:04 PM..

Old 06-30-2011, 06:56 PM

Quote:
You need to just accept the reality that your statement was way off. Both UF and Indiana are in the very select group of AAU universities. If you look at various of the ranking resources UF is ahead. I'm not about to go look up rankings for individual schools.

Clearly if your claims are correct about law and business and Indiana are is still ranked in the high 30's then the quality of various other programs must be pretty poor. You can't reference rankings you like and then chose to question the same rankings because you just found out UF is viewed as a better school.
Viewed as a better school by who? One source? People in the south? And please don't cite rankings that rate universities based on perceived best value compared to their cost. That's like saying a haphazard education is okay if it was cheaper than the Ivy League education.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:11 PM

Quote:
And by the way comparing public universities to other public universities is worthless. The true comparison comes when you rank them right next to the private universities so one can decide if that public university is providing the same education. There's no doubt that UF provides a good value for what they charge, but portraying it to be a really, really good school is ridiculous. How many employers outside of FL or maybe even the southeastern US will know what UF is or even that it squeezed into some top 50 rankings?

I guess maybe it depends on your line of work and how well it ranks within that field. But when a university has a clear reputation for being a leader across multiple subject areas, more people know about it. At the end of the day- that is what matters when you are looking for that next great job (how well the employer perceives the university to be or if they even have heard of it), whether that is fair or not. When I interviewed for jobs outside of FL, the employers made it clear they did not know anything about any university in FL.
You are just making yourself look uninformed. UF is a top 50 school overall and an AAU institution. UF and Miami, by any overall ranking you find, are ahead of Indiana.

Just admit you didn't realize Miami and UF are viewed as better schools than Indiana and move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida