Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 04:50 PM

124 posts, read 174,587 times

Advertisements

FLORIDA VOTERS please remember this when election time rolls around for Rick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 05:54 PM

1,139 posts, read 3,465,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
. Why should people be able to collect for six months when it takes on average one month to find work? That's just common sense. Unemployment is not means tested, so your logic is irrelevant. I'd never agree with tying unemployment benefits to savings, that's punishing people who actually were responsible and saved.
Again, just because it took you one month doesn't mean its the same for everyone.
Unemployment benefit is a safety net!

I would argue that since you have savings, you don't need unemployment benefit! but I agree its not fair and I was being facetious.

OK. Here is the real deal.When times were flush state of FL didn't collect enough insurance premiums from employers and now FL is resorting to reducing the benefits from having to pay out.

The state trust fund used to pay unemployment benefits went insolvent in the summer of 2009, forcing Florida to borrow $2 billion from the federal government. Under Florida law, employers were supposed to quickly cover the fund's shortfall.

Since employers aren't covering it, guess what? the benefits are being reduced rather then enforcing the law!!!

Link: Gov. Rick Scott opposes president's plan to put off states' jobless debt payments - St. Petersburg Times

Old 06-29-2011, 06:08 PM

49 posts, read 70,494 times
Our family (the adults, not my 9 yr old) voted for Rick Scott and we'd do it again in a heartbeat. Rick Scott has the right focus and values to take back Florida and make it what it used to be. My family shouldn't have to worry about being run down by a low rider going 80 MPH packed with illegal aliens when we're crossing 436 after sunday brunch. My 9 year old should not have to see smutty strip clubs from the car window when we go to Cocoa Beach.

As for unemployement, people need to suck it up. I saw a sign that RaceTrac is hiring so there is jobs, and McDonald's just created new jobs.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:20 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,689,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
/sigh.......This governer. How did this happen! Florida! We swung the wrong way! lol.

I am moderate in my politics, but I just can't understand Rick's actions. I actually used to be very conservative in unemployment benefits. I do believe they are are a dis-incentive to find work, but in times like this when Florida has such an extreme lack of jobs how can he cut those benefits?

Two of my good buddies just almost lost their apartment a couple of weeks ago. They got a loan from another friend so they are good for month. Their unemployment benefits ran out so they couldn't pay the rent. They were even living without electric the whole month. These friends of mine looked(one of them still looks) for jobs EVERY day! They were so depressed about being unemployed. One of them even has 2 children to support. These early 30 year old men were applying to Chipotle for God's sake. One of them finally found work at a cafeteria, but the other is still looking for work.

Always remember with unemployment benefits that if you don't prove to the government that your looking for work, then you don't get the pay check. Just going through that hassle alone is stressful enough for someone to not want to be on the rolls.
Just wait until Unemployment tells your buddies that there are jobs availble for minimum wage picking veggies and if they refuse their unemployment will be terminated

Old 06-29-2011, 06:25 PM

769 posts, read 2,050,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamysan View Post
Our family (the adults, not my 9 yr old) voted for Rick Scott and we'd do it again in a heartbeat. Rick Scott has the right focus and values to take back Florida and make it what it used to be. My family shouldn't have to worry about being run down by a low rider going 80 MPH packed with illegal aliens when we're crossing 436 after sunday brunch. My 9 year old should not have to see smutty strip clubs from the car window when we go to Cocoa Beach.

As for unemployement, people need to suck it up. I saw a sign that RaceTrac is hiring so there is jobs, and McDonald's just created new jobs.
Well if Dick Scott has his way your 9 year old will soon be going to school with 50 kids in a classroom, no extracurricular activities, under-qualified/under-paid, miserable teachers, etc. The schools will be dirty because he is reducing janitorial staff's hours. And the FL state universities (if your child can even get in with the crappy education he/she will have received) will be charging almost as much as private universities.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:26 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,626,667 times
Quote:

How about getting run over by a redneck in a pickup with refrigerator size tires and no car insurance instead?

And Tampa has more strip clubs than any US city, so you're 9yr old must get an eyeful here.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:29 PM

1,139 posts, read 3,465,659 times
Quote:

Am tired of people saying there are jobs. Wake up people...12% unemployment in FL = 165,000K+ people out of jobs.

Just for laughs, can you drop your resume at RaceTrac or McDonald's and see if you get hired in a month or never?
Those are at best, transitional jobs and not the ones where you can build a solid retirement foundation.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:42 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,929,840 times
Quote:

Wasn't aware Scott was doing anything about strip clubs? I agree your 9 yr old shouldn't see such things.

Not sure what you think is being done about illegal aliens either. As was pointed out somebody has to pick what veggies there are. Are you suggesting now the so-called "lazy legals" will now do this?

Also just because you see an AD doesn't mean a location is actually hiring. This is real simple math. NOT ENOUGH JOBS FOR PEOPLE. Why is this hard to understand.

Assuming you work at McDonald's this again does little good if the cost of living is so high you still cannot pay for basic expenditures. People ARE sucking it up because they have no other choice, except as I pointed out to "die".

Some interesting info in here. Not a fan of the ball charts though. It does at least mention U6 numbers though and trends. http://www.frbatlanta.org/documents/...st/fl/1106.pdf

Last edited by CDusr; 06-29-2011 at 06:55 PM..

Old 06-29-2011, 06:43 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,025,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I don't know how thoroughly they check in FL, but in CA they verify bank accounts.

I knew someone who was living off very little(it was family members who were covering their rent) and they received food stamps. They were in poor health due to complications from diabetes.

They applied for and after a year or so got Social Security Disability. It was around $700 a month, as soon as they started receiving it their food stamps were reduced by more than half.

IDK where you get information, because even an elderly person who needs to go into a nursing home is subject to a five year look back on assets if they try and get Medicaid assistance.

You can't hide anything unless you're keeping it in the mattress.
You missed my point. Depending on your bills you can have some money in the bank, a house, cars. And retirement accounts aren't touchable in Florida.

Medicaid is for the indigent, medicare is for elderly. Nursing homes are a different animal altogether.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:48 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,025,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampaite View Post
Again, just because it took you one month doesn't mean its the same for everyone.
Unemployment benefit is a safety net!
When the u/e rate is under 2%, there's absolutely ZERO reason that it should take anyone more than three months (12 weeks) to find a job. Just think about that for a minute.

Quote:
I would argue that since you have savings, you don't need unemployment benefit! but I agree its not fair and I was being facetious.
I pay taxes like anyone else, so why shouldn't I have gotten it? Or will we now make u/e means tested? If we're going to do that, we also need to look at those who have no savings because they chose to live large versus me with no wide screens, etc. who chose to save. So you'd punish me for being uh, responsible? And we wonder why this country is in shambles.

Quote:
OK. Here is the real deal.When times were flush state of FL didn't collect enough insurance premiums from employers and now FL is resorting to reducing the benefits from having to pay out.

The state trust fund used to pay unemployment benefits went insolvent in the summer of 2009, forcing Florida to borrow $2 billion from the federal government. Under Florida law, employers were supposed to quickly cover the fund's shortfall.

Since employers aren't covering it, guess what? the benefits are being reduced rather then enforcing the law!!!

Link: Gov. Rick Scott opposes president's plan to put off states' jobless debt payments - St. Petersburg Times
When they determined the amount employers had to pay in, they never expected that there would be a continued high u/e rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida