U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 07:45 PM

6 posts, read 6,120 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. First off let me apologize for this new thread; however, there were so many responses to similar questions that were all over the place. It was hard to follow. I am a single mother in my mid 20's. I have lived in Indiana the majority of my life- my mother often moved back and forth between Florida and Indiana with us; however, I do not remember Florida well. I have a lot of family in the Tampa/Orlando area, but they have stayed in the smaller towns and rural areas. I am leaving Indiana because I hate the cold weather. Anything below 50 is pretty much miserable to me. I know Florida weather can get extremely hot, but so can Indiana weather and I'd rather sweat than freeze. I have visited a few times, but didn't really look into it as though I was moving. Things that are important to me are good schools, nice area to raise kids, lots to do for families, near by beaches (preferrably with less salt water and more clear water like I enjoyed in Cancun if possible), diversity, and of course like everyone else wants- jobs and rental housing. I am not in a position to buy and I am actually fresh out of college looking for social service/work careers. I have considered areas such as Tampa and Orlando because of family. I've been to Naples and wasn't impressed. But Miami sounds fun. I am young so I'd like to have a night life sometimes, yet be able to raise my daughters in a great environment. Any suggestions on which areas to go to or any places that I can find advice would be appreciated. Essp on schools!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 12:19 PM

6,853 posts, read 19,812,089 times
If you are a single mom, I would suggest staying near family, you will want their help. So stick to Orlando and Tampa. I would suggest start with looking at Tampa as it seems to have more what you are looking for and will not be as hot as Orlando.

Old 06-30-2011, 06:13 AM

21,198 posts, read 30,396,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
If you are a single mom, I would suggest staying near family, you will want their help. So stick to Orlando and Tampa. I would suggest start with looking at Tampa as it seems to have more what you are looking for and will not be as hot as Orlando.
I agree. Northern Pinellas County has the best schools in the Tampa Bay area and enough going in neighboring Clearwater to keep things interesting for you. Check out the neighborhoods in NE Clearwater (Countryside area) and the bordering towns of Safety Harbor, Oldsmar and Palm Harbor.

Old 07-02-2011, 08:41 PM

3 posts, read 6,280 times
Default Great Job Boards

Here are some great jobs boards I've found. I hope they help you too.

Kentucky Jobs
State Work
Florida Business Jobs
Immediate Hire Employment Search
Diversity Jobs List
Government Work
California Work
Female Diversity Jobs List

Old 07-03-2011, 02:00 AM

4,678 posts, read 8,517,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Kempler View Post
so... like 2-3 of those links are actually for Florida ?

Old 07-08-2011, 05:34 AM

509 posts, read 1,482,064 times
I hope you know that it gets alot colder than 50 degrees in Florida during the winter. You might want to track our winter temps before moving here. You may be disappointed.

Old 07-09-2011, 09:06 PM

45 posts, read 52,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillnw View Post
I am not in a position to buy and I am actually fresh out of college looking for social service/work careers.
Florida has lots of Republicans who hate those kind of programs and will cut funding (and jobs) every chance they get.

Old 07-09-2011, 09:35 PM

22,554 posts, read 47,363,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillnw View Post
near by beaches (preferrably with less salt water and more clear water like I enjoyed in Cancun if possible)
This probably makes sense to everyone else but I don't get it.

Old 07-11-2011, 02:23 AM

4,678 posts, read 8,517,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
This probably makes sense to everyone else but I don't get it.
Maybe she thinks clear water is fresh water and brown water is salt ?

Old 07-15-2011, 05:10 AM

6 posts, read 6,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
Maybe she thinks clear water is fresh water and brown water is salt ?
No I do not think clear is fresh and brown is salt. I'm simply listing some preferences I have. Since I'm reaching out to others who are currently in Florida and have been in different areas of the state, I can get more information to get me closest to my preferences... these are not needs. Most of the water in the Gulf coast that I have seen is very pretty clear/blue water beaches.... The beaches I've been to near Venice and Daytona were just nasty brown dirty water. Considering I have a fear of what lives in water, I don't like taking my kids into water I can't see through and I would hate taking them to the beach and not getting in. That's all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or