U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 09:26 AM

1,468 posts, read 4,164,569 times

Advertisements

Condo Natiz's at work

DNA: To determine if Jupiter residents are picking up dog droppings - South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

I should add, HOA are not much better. I can't believe anyone would want to live like that, You come home to find a note in your box you have 30 days to get your mail box fixed it is leaning a little. I didn't make this one up my friend got such a note. And when I went to fix it for her someone saw me and a guard came over and stopped me. Turns out she had to hire a contractor approved by the HOA to fix it at her cost. This whole place was nothing more then a racket, reminds me something someone like Dutch Shultz would do shaking people down.

Last edited by mango23; 06-29-2011 at 10:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 10:25 AM

55 posts, read 90,570 times
I applaud this even though it takes things one step closer to a police state. Disclaimer : not a pet owner so yes im inconsiderate scum on this issue but if you're gonna have pets, its like having a kid. Discipline them and keep them under control. I'd say the same thing if kids were pissing and ****ting everywhere too and driving up HOA costs.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:30 AM

13,819 posts, read 18,771,405 times
Yep HOas are nothing more than legal nazis who can tell you what and when to do with your property . Therefore I will never live in an HOA community . You always have the head nazi there telling you your grass is over by an half inch and that is total bs . Nope will never live in HOA (nazi filled ) community .

Old 06-29-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fathamburger View Post
I applaud this even though it takes things one step closer to a police state. Disclaimer : not a pet owner so yes im inconsiderate scum on this issue but if you're gonna have pets, its like having a kid. Discipline them and keep them under control. I'd say the same thing if kids were pissing and ****ting everywhere too and driving up HOA costs.
Suppose someone takes some poo from your yard and deposits it in a common area to cause you trouble? If you chose to dispute it you could run the condos legal bills off the charts. They would need witnesses willing to testify. Not to mention if it is ruled "frivolous" or if they can't even prove it they will be paying your legal costs as well. It is in effect, unenforceable and opens them to a lot of legal liability and cost.

Old 06-29-2011, 11:57 AM

374 posts, read 808,168 times
Aside from my personal disdain for the thought of living anyplace where there are "rules" dictated by a "board outlining how I live in my own home, I cannot imagine wanting to live somewhere with close neighbors who have the time and INTEREST to do DNA tests on dog poop and then victoriously prosecute the offending pooper's owner

Old 06-29-2011, 12:17 PM

22,554 posts, read 47,328,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Gal now View Post
Aside from my personal disdain for the thought of living anyplace where there are "rules" dictated by a "board outlining how I live in my own home, I cannot imagine wanting to live somewhere with close neighbors who have the time and INTEREST to do DNA tests on dog poop and then victoriously prosecute the offending pooper's owner
Did you see that they are sending the poop to Knoxville?

Old 06-29-2011, 12:25 PM

34,355 posts, read 41,427,648 times
HOA's? usually it only happens once to those not in the know,
Can i paint my house this color?
My roof needs to be fixed can i use this product?
I'd like to plant a garden,may i?
What do you mean i cant park my car in my driveway.
You mean i have to cut my lawn twice a week?
But i cant afford all new windows on my house right now.
$300 fine for hanging out 2 towels after our return from the beach.
But i really want an RV/boat/Motorcycle
But i just paid $500 for that tree what do you mean it doesnt conform.
Etc.Etc.Etc. no thanks..

Last edited by jambo101; 06-29-2011 at 01:26 PM..

Old 06-29-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Gal now View Post
Welcome to the wonderful world of condo living. I have friends I visit and it is like you entered another country. I once backed my car in and found a note on the windshield not to back in as the exhaust burns the grass. That was bad enough but because you have to put a thing on the dash with who you are visiting, they got a warning as well. I am not an idiot. I understand we need rules, I don't want someone to move next door to my with 30 dogs in the house. The problem is the people who get control of those places; usually some old miserable people who never had any authority in their lives and it goes to their heads. And God forbid you make enemies, you will have to move, that is all there is to it. Watch any episode of Seinfield with the parents at Boca Vista, that is no exaggeration.

Old 06-29-2011, 04:39 PM

374 posts, read 808,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
Welcome to the wonderful world of condo living. I have friends I visit and it is like you entered another country. I once backed my car in and found a note on the windshield not to back in as the exhaust burns the grass. That was bad enough but because you have to put a thing on the dash with who you are visiting, they got a warning as well. I am not an idiot. I understand we need rules, I don't want someone to move next door to my with 30 dogs in the house. The problem is the people who get control of those places; usually some old miserable people who never had any authority in their lives and it goes to their heads. And God forbid you make enemies, you will have to move, that is all there is to it. Watch any episode of Seinfield with the parents at Boca Vista, that is no exaggeration.
Nooooo thanks

I live on 2.35 acres in rural E TN and no one cares about exhaust fumes on grass. When we first moved here I wanted peacocks and/or guineas, but out of consideration for my neighbors, I didn't get them. My neighbor said if I wanted peacocks...just get them...no problem I'll explain the peacock issue if anyone is interested, just ask...

I have two goats and four dogs, they have about 1/2 acre fenced to run, and the world is their bathroom. I can paint my house and/or shutters ANY color I want, my grass can grow waist high, I can park anything that'll fit in my yard, the only qualification for my mailbox is that the carrier can put mail in it and no one cares if it EVER gets replaced or who replaces it, and my hub AND my neighbor can shoot a gun (pesky skunks) and no one cares - and we're in the city limits. I don't care if a neighborhood dog poops in my yard and it didn't bother me when a horse got loose and galloped through a few times, leaving giant hoof indentions in my yard...and horse poop. I think I'm probably not condo material. Although I am a pretty good neighbor

I also don't necessarily want to live next door to "the Clampett's." But in FL it was fairly easy to make a projection of how the neighborhood will lean - and that was generally based on how much you paid for the property. There's always oddball exceptions, but a neighborhood drive-through and asking neighbors is a pretty good indication of how property is and will be maintained without a HOA. And if your neighbor gets a boat/RV - and wants to park it in the driveway - SO WHAT? It's not like putting it on a foundation and renting it out... And it's pretty much the same way in TN. Never had a problem there, and never had one here.

Now, in FL if you bought in the country, it could be riskier and you might end up next to the Clampett's cousins, but if you bought enough property it probably won't be as big an issue. Florida has so many restrictions, permits, etc that you nearly have to get a permit to sneeze. All that has a place - within reason. But a HOA to tell me how high my grass is, what color I can paint my house, or DNA test my dogs' poop - NOT FOR ME

Hey Hik - when does that FL dog poop get here? Surely we can get together and think of some hillbilly craft to make out of it and then sell it to the FL tourists when they come up here to visit the mountains...

Old 06-29-2011, 06:11 PM

55 posts, read 90,570 times
ok I stand corrected, espec if Florida HOA's are that bad
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or