Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 08:28 PM

17,280 posts, read 21,998,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAm_FloridaBorn View Post
So whats your solution Mr No Rail?

Look at at Tri-Rail and Amtrak.........Classic Failures! Sun-Rail will make the tri-fecta of bad railroads!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 09:04 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,200,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Look at at Tri-Rail and Amtrak.........Classic Failures! Sun-Rail will make the tri-fecta of bad railroads!

Tri-Rail was poorly planned not even planned to be a rail, plus it doesnt reach any classic destinations.

Amtrak is not controlled or planned local by any means.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:52 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,334,729 times
I think one of the keys to success is to temper expectations, properly market the system, and most importantly...develop the system correctly. This is not NYC or Boston, nor may it ever be, we shouldn't expect one rail line to convert our car-centric region over night. But we can not keep on our current track and continue building without a comprehensive transportation system including roads, rails, buses, bike trails and more pedestrian friendly environment. Rather than trying to mimic cities that have traditionally grown with, and around rail, we need to look at similarly situated cities that have been down this road (or rail) before us and succeeded. Places like Denver, Charlotte, Portland, Seattle, Atlanta, Minneapolis and Houston are models to look at. What work for them?..What hasn't? I'm sure we'll figure it out...this is a good first step and I for one am excited.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:17 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Actually Amtrak Ridership keeps growing.....so its not a failure anymore.... Tri-Rail does get a decent amount of ridership for where it goes..

Old 02-09-2012, 01:51 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,194,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Track to nowhere lol, you are truly clueless about the Orlando area. And you know what, why move to Europe of Japan when you can bring Europe and Japan to the US.
You already have Europe and Japan at Epcot; now all of the mouseketeers can ride the SunRail to Epcot to experience the "real" Europe & Japan.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:11 PM

22 posts, read 60,468 times
Sunrail project is moving forward just go to there webpage and look at the updates. They seem to have found the funding for this project and it's a good idea because now maybe after the rail system is up and running the state will finally have some REAL PAYING JOBS instead of the cheap jobs they create year after year!

Old 02-09-2012, 09:02 PM

261 posts, read 704,857 times
I moved here from Denver where there is a great light rail system. I've been to Europe and Asia and it's just as good if not better than most of what I've seen there. I used to ride it to CU Denver from far out in the suburbs every day. I was so excited about the high speed rail.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksmith76 View Post
I moved here from Denver where there is a great light rail system. I've been to Europe and Asia and it's just as good if not better than most of what I've seen there. I used to ride it to CU Denver from far out in the suburbs every day. I was so excited about the high speed rail.
. Why?

Ride the High Speed rail to tampa and do what?

Old 02-09-2012, 09:33 PM

So the SunRail people answered my questions today.

1. Will there be updated information kiosks at the stations while people wait or arrive? Such as what lymmo used to have. Shows a brief map of the Sun Rail system with an indicator of where the trail is and an estimated arrival time.. kiosks should be centrally centered in the play form so multiple users can use them at one time. I don''t know if it is possible but a penta shaped kiosk would be ideal. I suggest a central location for kiosks that way only one person will have their back turned to the tracks or if constructed right, none. Information such as time temperature, weather would be ideal for commuters as well. Yes. Each station will have variable message boards, as well as audible announcements for information such as train arrival times and so forth. Time and temperature could be programmed, as well. Information kiosks will include system maps and announcements. Generally, these kiosks will be centrally located at the center of the platform.

2. Will there be text marquees on the trains or at the stations? If so White Text as some of the Lynx busses and lymmos use would be ideal. since Sun Rail will be bright white, I think it would give off a last effect to spot a SunRail train from a far with both the lightning from the car lights and the white text which at night can be seen clearly or dark during thunderstorms, unlike the orange marquee during abundant sunshine and dark weather.
There will be variable message boards on board trains, as well as at stations. The Department has been working closely with the transportation disadvantaged community and visually impaired through both MetroPlan Orlando and the Volusia County Transportation Planning Organization. Yellow or Amber text was selected based on their recommendations for ease of visibility.

3. Will SunRail do a monthly pass program such as Lynx? Will SunRail have Train-To-Bus tranfers such as the system in South Florida? It''ll be a nice thing to have riders get off Sun Rail and allowed to ride Lynx with a tain transfer to their destination. One issue will be costs and that is a great incentive to get people to ride.
Yes, SunRail will offer monthly passes at discounted rates that have yet to be determined. And the Florida Department of Transportation is working closely with both LYNX and Votran to ensure a seamless bus-to-train transfer for passengers using the same fare card medium.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:38 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,943,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
You already have Europe and Japan at Epcot; now all of the mouseketeers can ride the SunRail to Epcot to experience the "real" Europe & Japan.
What are you talking about...it's the monorail that goes to Epcot, not SunRail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida