Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 12:28 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,418,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Anti CPA View Post
Ever heard of food stamp night at Wal-Mart? The last night of every month certain stores get real busy at 11:00 P. M. That's because people know their EBT cards will get updated with fresh money at midnight, so they start shopping at around 11:00 P. M. By the time they're done shopping, their card is ready and they can check out.
Everyone gets food stamp money on different dates, therefore what you state is not fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 12:27 PM

1,464 posts, read 1,840,510 times
I agree with a lot of what people are saying, but I don't think testing people for drugs is going to solve the current problems we're having in Florida[/quote]

It won't hurt. If decent, law abiding citizens have to take drug tests for employment purposes, it's good enough for those on the very welfare those decent, law abiding citizens are paying for through their taxes. I see nothing wrong with that, and it could very well trim the welfare rolls effectively.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post
Now they will just break into more homes and steal from people.
They already are -- don't think getting welfare checks will stop them from doing that.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:58 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,248,485 times
Yes, I think Scott is directly benefiting from this provision. I don't think he does a darn thing without it monetarily helping his friends or him.

And I have no idea how people on food stamps are suppose to come up with the money for a drug test. I mean the ones that aren't addicts. The decent people. Not everyone has friends or family to loan them the money.

The remark about people in the stores in the middle of the night, waiting to cash in their food stamp allotment...my question is, what is your point? Have you ever been hungry? Or worse, have you ever watched your kids go hungry? You better believe that you'll be in the store to cash out at the stroke of midnight.

Although I agree that it sounds like more bogus internet info that these people try to pass off as non-fiction. Indeed, different people get food stamp allotments throughout the month.

However, I will say that I have an in-law that is a drug addict and has a child. She gets food stamps and Medicaid. This really burns me up. Her and her husband have been continuously reported to the state by numerous officials, usually the school, and they still have their daughter. They have used other people's urine in order to pass the drug test so unless they have someone standing there, drug addicts will pass the test.

I don't believe that drug addicts should be getting food stamps, though. All it does is enable them. I've seen this played out and it is truly heartbreaking. And the state must be very overloaded because they continue to allow the child to stay with them. There is more to the story than I am saying but the home situation is very, very bad.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claurenzo View Post
We just moved here from Ohio and I guess somehow they give out adds that are just like check cards. They can e used at restaurants, retail, etc. I am a bartender and always notice the picture or bank names while waiting for the credit card to process. I noticed a new on and usually that means out of state and its a conversation piece...so i made a comment asking her where the card was from, what bank. She stalled and basically said, yeah well, I probably shouldn't be using it here...makes me seem like a bad mom. I then realized it was one of the state cards. She spent $100 on her tab because she bought her five friends rounds of drinks. WITH HER GOVERNMENT MONEY.

I understand hard times are hard...welfare can be embarrassing. But I was raised by a mom on welfare and you do what you have to do. One of my good friends is a single mom of three and is on welfare and uses her money strategically to buy whole, healthy and organic raw foods for her family to cook from scratch. No processed junk either. Is she embarrassed by using them? Yes. But she understands its a necessity and is working diligently and slowly is almost able to come off the assistance. What's more embarrassing, not being able to eat or having assistance?

I had an extremely rough life and that's why i started working at 14 to help pay family bills. Not to mention, it built my character and now I am 25 and have traveled the world and owned my own business. But that didn't come without working 2-3 jobs at a time. My family worked TOGETHER to come off assistance as soon as possible and thats how it should be. I agree...if I have to take a drug test for my legal job where i am working hard and paying taxes, then the free money they are receiving should also be drug tested. If they aren't clean, the money they would normally get should be spent on their state mandated drug rehab. Also, i think they should do random drug tests throughout to continue receiving assistance. Anyone can clean up for a brief period of time.
I applaud yours and your families efforts to get off welfare. There are people who truly need welfare and are fine, upstanding people who just happen to need help at some point in their lives. That's what it's there for. You made a lot of valid points. Thank you.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:59 PM

399 posts, read 719,023 times
There are so many people out there that are freeloading it's terrible on the rest of us that work and pay taxes. People that collect welfare and use it on drugs. People that drive SUV's and still use food stamps. These days our dollars have to be managed well. No more free loading.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:50 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,885,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmain View Post
There are so many people out there that are freeloading it's terrible on the rest of us that work and pay taxes. People that collect welfare and use it on drugs. People that drive SUV's and still use food stamps. These days our dollars have to be managed well. No more free loading.
Our tax dollars will be used one way or another, No matter if our tax dollars go for foodstamps or higher salaries for politicians.. We'll STILL be taxes..

It's like the argument where people say we need to drill our own oil and we'll save money..

Oil is traded on the stock market, Prices will NOT come down if we drill our own.

Old 07-07-2011, 05:25 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,256,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmain View Post
Maybe one day you'll lose your job and have to rely on some form of gvmnt social service,now wont you feel just great when some one who is working and has it all calls you a freeloader on drugs,a veritable bum expecting entitlements that others are paying for.
Yeah its real easy to criticize the less fortunate until you become one of them..

Old 07-07-2011, 05:48 AM

130 posts, read 426,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Very good!!!!

I hope the next thing will be checking out people who are on disability and rechecking them on a regular base...

In every eviction we have seen wheel chairs left behind and all claimed to are on disability...the police told us that this is very common in eviction...drug and disability are very large amounts of scams...
It's about time. No doubt about it, should be mandated across all 52 states.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:20 AM

27,153 posts, read 43,824,341 times
Lets all take a test together! Read between the lines and see if there's a common thread in terms of who benefits from drug-testing.

Rick Scott’s new gift to Solantic: drug testing state employees : The Reid Report
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: