Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 09:41 PM

6 posts, read 10,670 times

Advertisements

Lived in NYC all my life but I have an opportunity to move to Palm Coast and live with family for free. Thinking about staying there a few months while I look for work and move to either Tampa, Orlando or Miami. Realistically, how long would it take to find a management or sales job in any of those cities? I've got decent experience in NYC and can communicate well in the workplace. I know the job market is tough but I will have guaranteed part time work when I get there while looking for a full time job.

Considering I won't be paying for housing for a few months I'm contemplating if its worth it. I'm a 27 year old single guy who loves NYC and enjoys the nightlife/dining atmosphere. On the other hand, a change of pace may not be bad idea and while I know Palm Coast is quiet it is also temporary until I can find a job in a different city. I make 65k in my current job but pay is on the decline and job security is shaky right now. Tired of paying high rent prices (currently renting a 2 bedroom apt in Queens for $1700/mth split w/roomate) Since I've been looking to change jobs, my lease on my apartment is up in 2 months I'm debating the idea of packing it up for a few years?

Is it worth the move?? Advice is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 09:59 PM

13,618 posts, read 7,932,752 times
Why leave New York to go to New York, Junior?

Old 06-21-2011, 07:19 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ck84nyc View Post
Lived in NYC all my life but I have an opportunity to move to Palm Coast and live with family for free. Thinking about staying there a few months while I look for work and move to either Tampa, Orlando or Miami. Realistically, how long would it take to find a management or sales job in any of those cities? I've got decent experience in NYC and can communicate well in the workplace. I know the job market is tough but I will have guaranteed part time work when I get there while looking for a full time job.

Considering I won't be paying for housing for a few months I'm contemplating if its worth it. I'm a 27 year old single guy who loves NYC and enjoys the nightlife/dining atmosphere. On the other hand, a change of pace may not be bad idea and while I know Palm Coast is quiet it is also temporary until I can find a job in a different city. I make 65k in my current job but pay is on the decline and job security is shaky right now. Tired of paying high rent prices (currently renting a 2 bedroom apt in Queens for $1700/mth split w/roomate) Since I've been looking to change jobs, my lease on my apartment is up in 2 months I'm debating the idea of packing it up for a few years?

Is it worth the move?? Advice is appreciated.
Though clearly in other posts by the guy above, he has some kind of imbeded issues with the city. Palm Coast bears absolutely no comparison to NYC other than resident transplants.

If one needs a change and has a place to go where you're able to start over without worrying about bills, I'd say go for it. I noticed you didn't include nearby Jacksonville for job hunting which might be an oversight on your part. Jacksonville compares favorably with Orlando, especially if one is to remove the tourism aspect of Orlando which won't be a part of your life while living there plus it only adds to the traffic/congestion. Jacksonville's job market is more diversified and also features a lower unemployment rate. You might also consider Fort Lauderdale as well.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:58 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Salaries are much lower down here. You will see a decrease in expenses but you will see more of a decrease in income.

You need to keep that in mind. You could end up paying $600 a month in rent instead of the $850 your currently paying and making 30K less a year.

Keep that in mind.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:54 PM

126 posts, read 711,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Salaries are much lower down here. You will see a decrease in expenses but you will see more of a decrease in income.

You need to keep that in mind. You could end up paying $600 a month in rent instead of the $850 your currently paying and making 30K less a year.

Keep that in mind.

What job would pay 30k less in Florida than New York?! I'd say a pay cut of 10-20k. I think you're being a little dramatic. Plus there's a lot less taxes to pay down here, including the dreaded state income tax.

Old 06-21-2011, 11:16 PM

BTW, 100k in NYC will stretch as far as 50k in Florida. So you can lose 50% of your income and keep the same standard of living down here!

Old 06-21-2011, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by td1026 View Post
What job would pay 30k less in Florida than New York?! I'd say a pay cut of 10-20k. I think you're being a little dramatic. Plus there's a lot less taxes to pay down here, including the dreaded state income tax.
Lots of jobs. Nurses in the NY area are making over $40 an hour, they're getting half that here.

And the COL in FL keeps going up while the salaries remain low.

I was talking to someone the other day who works an office job in a hospital, they said they were making more in CA doing the same work in the 1980s.

Lots of employers here do not offer medical benefits as well.

Old 06-21-2011, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by td1026 View Post
BTW, 100k in NYC will stretch as far as 50k in Florida. So you can lose 50% of your income and keep the same standard of living down here!

That might be true in Manhattan, but the OP lives in Queens and is paying $850 a month in rent.

Rents in the Tampa/St Pete area to share are asking at least $600 and up to share two bedroom/two baths.

Miami and the east coast will be more expensive.

You don't want a big reduction in income and find out you're expenses only went down 5 to 7K a year.

And I don't think a 27yr old single guy wants to live out in the middle of nowhere in order to get a cheap rental.

There are people on this board saying they're getting 35K a year with a BS in accounting. You can live on that but not well.

That same position in other states starts out 20K higher.

Old 06-22-2011, 05:18 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Palm coast is one of those places you either love it or hate it.
On visiting friends who live there i find it to be a sprawling maze of generic one story houses with a few shopping plazas,the whole area strikes me as a wannabe gated retirement community out in the middle of nowhere.
Closest cities would be Daytona to the south (40 miles) and St Augustine to the north (30 miles).Which wouldnt be bad places to live if you could find a job there.
It would be a 70 mile one way commute to JAX or a 90 mile one way commute to Orlando. the free rent sounds good, any chance of getting a few months leave of absence from your present job so you could go down and find out if you love it or hate it? As this could turn out to be a life changing move that you may never be able to afford to leave once you make the commitment.

Old 06-22-2011, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
That might be true in Manhattan, but the OP lives in Queens and is paying $850 a month in rent.

Rents in the Tampa/St Pete area to share are asking at least $600 and up to share two bedroom/two baths.

Miami and the east coast will be more expensive.

You don't want a big reduction in income and find out you're expenses only went down 5 to 7K a year.

And I don't think a 27yr old single guy wants to live out in the middle of nowhere in order to get a cheap rental.

There are people on this board saying they're getting 35K a year with a BS in accounting. You can live on that but not well.

That same position in other states starts out 20K higher.
I compared Queens vs Ft Lauderdale on this site Cost of living: Compare prices in two cities - CNNMoney.com & got this result:

90,000$ in Queens

Comparable salary in
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$65,516
If you move from New York (Queens), NY to Fort Lauderdale, FL....

Groceries will cost:
12%less

Housing will cost:
38%less

Utilities will cost:
46%less

Transportation will cost:
2%less

Healthcare will cost:
13%less

So you are saying this is untrue?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida