Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 01:16 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,288,448 times

Advertisements

Affordable homes abound in the Springhill area=https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...ct/11_zm/1_fr/

You can also find rentals for under $1000 a month
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2017, 05:48 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,141,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinndog View Post
retired snow birds ? good neiberhoods , what to do rent or buy, what do they do ?
Rent for at least one season. It will help you figure out where you will want to be the next year and also give you an idea of whether renting or owning will be the better option for you.

Old 06-03-2017, 12:58 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,442,107 times
We have a lot of snowbirds that live in mfg home parks here in SW FL. Buy in a park where you own the lot. Costs are reasonable, lots of activities, and the parks have people looking after the homes vs a detached home in a typical subdivision. And, no, they haven't been blown away in a hurricane. Resale price is good for these nits.

Old 06-03-2017, 05:00 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,670,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinndog View Post
retired snow birds ? good neiberhoods , what to do rent or buy, what do they do ?
Keep in mind that if you do not have homestead exemption, your taxes can go up. A lot. If you have an exemption, no one can decide the next year that your house value has shot is by 40%. That is why people might prefer to rent.

Old 06-03-2017, 05:14 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,724,459 times
I live in Sarasota county (southwest fl). We homeschool and many of our homeschooling friends are snowbirds. In this area, rents are very high and you'd be better off buying a condo. Prices are also rising here, so it might be a decent time to buy. I'd suggest talking to a realtor about that type of decision.

We hope to take the plunge and buy a condo up north in a few years so we can be snowbirds. I can work from anywhere (freelancer) and my husband can likely either do the same or, if we go to Connecticut, work for the summers with his former employer.

Old 06-05-2017, 09:02 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,526,111 times
Wow! What a difference between the time this thread was started and today. Back in 2007 the market was beginining it's freefall, today it's a sellers market.

Old 06-10-2017, 07:30 AM

407 posts, read 828,636 times
I would definitely recommend renting. Yes, being cold stinks, but investing in an area you no little about and making a decision you later regret is a lot worst. Every winter Fort Myers - Naples has rentals all over the place. If youre looking for schools in Florida, do your research on the district and schools. St. Johns and Sarasota offer excellent choices for schools.

The only way to qualify for the Homestead exemption is to become a FL resident and claim the home as your primary residence. If you decide to file for the exemption in FL you will loose any tax breaks on your northern home/property as you may only accept tax breaks on one US property. Many of the snowbirds I know who remain out of state residents do not qualify for the exemption.

Old 06-10-2017, 12:06 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,141,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzmanLI View Post

The only way to qualify for the Homestead exemption is to become a FL resident and claim the home as your primary residence. If you decide to file for the exemption in FL you will loose any tax breaks on your northern home/property as you may only accept tax breaks on one US property. Many of the snowbirds I know who remain out of state residents do not qualify for the exemption.
I believe if you homestead you cannot rent your house - not even part of the year.

Old 06-19-2017, 06:04 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
Wow! What a difference between the time this thread was started and today. Back in 2007 the market was beginining it's freefall, today it's a sellers market.
That is an over-simplification IMO
Real estate is always about "location" and other factors are tied into how desireable location mirrors price, local schools, neighborhood/house aesthetics...
Some areas are still moving very quickly and I think others have slowed down--

Old 06-19-2017, 06:06 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzmanLI View Post
I would definitely recommend renting. Yes, being cold stinks, but investing in an area you no little about and making a decision you later regret is a lot worst. Every winter Fort Myers - Naples has rentals all over the place. If youre looking for schools in Florida, do your research on the district and schools. St. Johns and Sarasota offer excellent choices for schools.

You are totally correct---
But it is also possible some people decide to get the exemption for both homes...and succeed until someone tells the tax authority what is going on...
It is illegal to have TWO primary residences, especially in different states, just as it is illegal to be on voting rolls in two states or two different precincts--
But we know that happens...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida