U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2007, 07:27 PM

20 posts, read 115,307 times

Advertisements

We currently live in Michigan and I'm sure I don't need to tell you how COLD it gets here in the winter. I'm not sure I can stand it much longer. I love our home here and love it here during the summer, but just dread going through more long winters.

So our hope is to find a home, cottage, park model, etc., to purchase where we could spend winters down there. We do have 2 school age children and I would enroll them in school in FL or homeschool. We also have several small dogs, so that is a factor as far as where we could live (ie; park model in mobile home community may not allow more than 1-2 dogs).

Basically, I'm looking for suggestions and ideas. Ideally, buying a home would be best. However, I think the taxes would just about kill us, especially if we are gone part of the year.

Has anyone found an alternative as far as part time living there with lower taxes? I thought of a park model as they appear quite livable and cozy. But probably not realistic for dogs. Is there any property in Florida where they allow you to put park models on? I doubt it, but thought I'd ask. We also thought about a big RV, but not sure if we might start to feel cramped after awhile.

Florida is our first choice for a winter haven, but I've also thought about the Texas coast. Winter is just around the corner and I just HAVE to get away from these winters soon. Hopefully, someone has some advice for us.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2007, 07:38 PM

2,313 posts, read 2,402,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kela View Post
We currently live in Michigan and I'm sure I don't need to tell you how COLD it gets here in the winter. I'm not sure I can stand it much longer. I love our home here and love it here during the summer, but just dread going through more long winters.

So our hope is to find a home, cottage, park model, etc., to purchase where we could spend winters down there. We do have 2 school age children and I would enroll them in school in FL or homeschool. We also have several small dogs, so that is a factor as far as where we could live (ie; park model in mobile home community may not allow more than 1-2 dogs).

Basically, I'm looking for suggestions and ideas. Ideally, buying a home would be best. However, I think the taxes would just about kill us, especially if we are gone part of the year.

Has anyone found an alternative as far as part time living there with lower taxes? I thought of a park model as they appear quite livable and cozy. But probably not realistic for dogs. Is there any property in Florida where they allow you to put park models on? I doubt it, but thought I'd ask. We also thought about a big RV, but not sure if we might start to feel cramped after awhile.

Florida is our first choice for a winter haven, but I've also thought about the Texas coast. Winter is just around the corner and I just HAVE to get away from these winters soon. Hopefully, someone has some advice for us.
Rent................

Old 08-08-2007, 07:49 PM

458 posts, read 455,548 times
That says it all, rent. Landlords are desperate. Negotiate hard and get a great deal for the winter.

Old 08-08-2007, 08:21 PM
SKB

900 posts, read 3,163,360 times
I agree on that, and don't worry about the pets, I just rented a gorgous house and I have three dogs, (two bigger ones) a Pekingese, cat and a bird.

Small dogs are never much of an issue, (silly as they can damage just as bad as a big dog)
I will never forget when I left my Pekingese alone at my Mother's place and we went for lunch. We got back and had been so nervous about being alone in a strange house he chewed about half a foot off of the metal blinds from a huge picture window.
I guess he wanted to look outside as we had them closed. Lesson learned that day.

There are Tons of rentals, you will be like a kid in candy-land.

Old 08-09-2007, 07:12 PM

Yes, renting makes sense as far as avoiding all the tax stuff, but it sure doesn't sound appealing to think of throwing away $ year after year. We'd rather spend the money towards something we would eventually own. Any other ideas??

Old 08-09-2007, 07:35 PM

I was just looking online at various longer term rentals and SHEESH...we might as well look into buying. Most rentals are in the $1500-$2100 per month range. So renting just doesn't sound like it makes much sense. If we were to even consider renting, it would have to be for a lot less and would have to find a rental in a good area that allows small dogs and would rent to us from September 1st through June 1st.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:07 PM

2,313 posts, read 2,402,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kela View Post
Yes, renting makes sense as far as avoiding all the tax stuff, but it sure doesn't sound appealing to think of throwing away $ year after year. We'd rather spend the money towards something we would eventually own. Any other ideas??
Buying is not free. Taxes, insurance interest on the loan and even if of you paid cash the loss of capital gain.. Probably cost you more to buy then rent with all the headaches of owning. Why do people think paying rent is lost money and all the cost of owning with nothing to show for it either isn't? All people usually see out of a house is the appreciation but it cost them a small fortune all the years they have lived there. Today there may never be any appreciation for many years. People just resent paying rent, thats all.

People are funny. They say "I paid x amount of money for the house and sold it for x amount, look at all the money I made". They never talk about the taxes insurance all the interest they have paid on the loan all those years. The bottom line is they probably if they are lucky are even.

Last edited by macguy; 08-09-2007 at 10:22 PM..

Old 08-09-2007, 10:19 PM

49 posts, read 250,468 times
Check out Palm Coast, FL

Old 08-09-2007, 10:25 PM

475 posts, read 1,096,027 times
How do you and your husband plan to manage the work situation, as you most likely aren't retirement age with children that young? Snowbirding seems like an ideal situation, but most working people aren't able to do it.

Old 08-10-2007, 06:49 AM

15,184 posts, read 31,126,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgirl49 View Post
How do you and your husband plan to manage the work situation, as you most likely aren't retirement age with children that young? Snowbirding seems like an ideal situation, but most working people aren't able to do it.
That's a good question. My hubby and I are several years from retirement, and we bought our vacation home in NC 2 years ago. So far, we haven't been able to do much more than spend long weekends there every few months or so, and last summer I went by myself for a couple months.

So I guess I would be curious how you would manage the work situation as well. Sometimes I ask myself why we did this - a big investment that we can't get much use out of for years. But at least for now, it is appreciating nicely, unlike a lot of areas of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or