U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 10:28 AM

4 posts, read 32,697 times

Advertisements

This is my first post, but have been doing alot of reading the threads. Here are my questions, I'd love to get some opinions....

Within the next five years my husband and I want to move to Florida, jobs hopefully won't be an issue as we run online businesses. I know that the panhandle is often referred to on here and elsewhere as the "redneck riviera"...but do to staying within a fairly decent driving distance to home (southern indiana) the panhandle would be where we are interested in..from Pensacola to Panama City. We have vacationed from Gulf Shores, Al to Panama City and in between.....but to me the farther west the prettier the water. Schools won't be an issue as our kids will be grown by then. We'd like to find a small town but close enough to do some good shopping, somewhere with lots of antique/junk shops, nice and not overcrowded beaches, maybe somewhere with an "artist community" feel to it. Laid back living. Small towns and "country" atmosphere doesn't bother us at all, we live in a town of 1200 now. Can't wait to see any opinions and suggestions, thanks in advance!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2011, 01:00 PM

126 posts, read 612,974 times
I'd choose between Destin, Fort Walton Beach, or Navarre. I don't care much for the city of Pensacola. Pensacola Beach is pretty cool and fairly built up. Panama City Beach is probably the most fun of them all, but gets invaded by spring breakers in March.You might not like that so much. Destin is the nicest and priciest. Fort Walton Beach is pretty nice too. I'm not sure the water gets clearer the further west you go, as the water is the same from Pensacola to Panama City in almost all spots. Navarre is more laid back and less touristy. Beautiful beaches that probably don't get very busy. You can't go wrong with any of the towns in the panhandle, especially the beach ones! The further inland you go, the more country or rundown it would get. Good luck and happy moving!

Old 07-04-2011, 03:06 PM

7,642 posts, read 15,985,901 times
1. What's your housing budget? (There are some pretty huge price differences along US 98)

2. How close do you want to be to the beach?

Old 07-04-2011, 06:07 PM

Thank you for the replies so far!

Beachmouse- Roughly 150,000-200,000 range and thinking 10-15 min at most from the beach. How far from the beach do you have to be to significantly lower insurance costs?

Seems like there are alot of good comments about Navarre

Old 07-04-2011, 07:08 PM

You generally have to be about 30 miles inland and not near a big body of water to get a huge insurance break. You will probably pay a huge premium if you're south of US 98. Navarre sounds like it might be a good fit among the options, even if it's a little suburban bland on the surface. Lots of housing stock built after 2001, which IIRC, was when the hurricane codes got tightened up, and you'll get more for your money there compared to Ft. Walton Beach. (Prices tend to be higher in FWB in the name of people getting a good commute, and if the rush hour traffic tangle around Hurlburt Field isn't a concern...)

There are a decent number of antique shops from about Santa Rosa Beach through Pensacola, and Mobile can be a reasonable day trip for that kind of thing as well.

If you're willing to be a little further from the Gulf (though close to bay access,) I'd also look in a Santa Rosa County village named Bagdad just south of Milton. It's older housing than what you typically find in these parts, and has a rather Victorian feel to it.

10-15 miles from the Gulf is actually kind of hard to find here because most of the land on that stretch of the Panhandle between I-10, and US 98 is either owned by the US government or under heavy conservation easements that prevent its subdivision.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:44 AM

Wow! Great info Beachmouse! Will def. look into bagdad/milton area. Thanks so much!

Old 07-05-2011, 03:05 PM

Milton proper is another area to explore- it does get a little suburban sprawly west of there and through the Pace area- Santa Rosa County schools are seen as better than Escambia schools, so there's been a fair amount of new development in that area because it's a fairly easy commute to Pensacola.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:33 AM

507 posts, read 1,320,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jancy23 View Post
This is my first post, but have been doing alot of reading the threads. Here are my questions, I'd love to get some opinions....

Within the next five years my husband and I want to move to Florida, jobs hopefully won't be an issue as we run online businesses. I know that the panhandle is often referred to on here and elsewhere as the "redneck riviera"...but do to staying within a fairly decent driving distance to home (southern indiana) the panhandle would be where we are interested in..from Pensacola to Panama City. We have vacationed from Gulf Shores, Al to Panama City and in between.....but to me the farther west the prettier the water. Schools won't be an issue as our kids will be grown by then. We'd like to find a small town but close enough to do some good shopping, somewhere with lots of antique/junk shops, nice and not overcrowded beaches, maybe somewhere with an "artist community" feel to it. Laid back living. Small towns and "country" atmosphere doesn't bother us at all, we live in a town of 1200 now. Can't wait to see any opinions and suggestions, thanks in advance!

We are moving to Okaloosa Island in December, and we love it there.

Here is a link to check it out:

Okaloosa Island | Okaloosa Island Guide

We bought a condo on the inter-coastal waterway, but there is a boardwalk to the Gulf right next to us, and it takes about 3 minutes to walk to the beach.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:19 AM

Grainofsalt- Looks beautiful! Thanks for the info!

Beachmouse- What are your thoughts on Gulf Breeze, info, etc. There seems to be some really great home prices here and looks like a pretty and smallish area....Insurance totally outrageous here?

Thanks!

Old 07-17-2011, 10:22 AM

With Gulf Breeze, there is Gulf Breeze proper, which is the small town just across the bay from Pensacola. Homes in Gulf Breeze proper generally command a premium. And then there's the area east of the Naval Live Oaks part of Gulf Islands NS, which is a Gulf Breeze zip code, but not actually part of the city. Some nice houses out there, but it's more suburban sprawley and regarded as more of an extension of Navarre and Holley-by-the-Sea than as part of 'The Proper'.

Either way, the insurance costs tend to be worse if you're a) south of US 98 for any means, or b) within a couple of blocks of the bay on the north side of US 98.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or