Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 10:00 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,372,728 times

Advertisements

I moved down from Mclean VA some years ago and did so just at the right time. I regret having sold my house up there but that's another story.

You are right about the taxes and insurance down here. I could not afford to buy my current house today which would sell easily for 675000 in this market. I pity anyone who has the desire to live here today because of the expenses. But don't despair - make some concessions it's still doable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2007, 10:13 AM

13 posts, read 60,267 times
Yes, we are taxed to death in VA. There is no incentive to buy a new car as the personal property tax will kill you. The county stickers are a joke as well...just more ways to get your $$$$. I am really surprised at the different tax rate form county to county in FLA. We looked in Lee Co. and RE tax was 1.25% of assesed home value, then PSL was 2% of 85% of your home value...a big difference. I am keeping my eye out for your Jan Homestead vote. It really dosnt matter if you live in a 200k home or a 500k home..the PSL RE tax is just too high. With all the development they are doing in that area, im not sure how they expect to attract new residents and new businesses.

Old 08-11-2007, 02:45 PM

1,722 posts, read 3,748,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blepp View Post
Yes, we are taxed to death in VA. There is no incentive to buy a new car as the personal property tax will kill you. The county stickers are a joke as well...just more ways to get your $$$$.
Oh...and I forgot to mention that in my hometown area of Charlottesville, they also make you but trash stickers so the city will dump the trash cans. If the can doesn't have a sticker on it, they won't touch it. They should just include trash into the taxes like they do here.

Old 04-09-2014, 04:03 AM

1 posts, read 1,250 times
Don't forget that Florida has no income tax as opposed to Virginia
Florida has better sunsets.
No snow in this area of Florida.
No DC traffic, just tourists and old people in white cars
I wanted to open a car dealership in Florida that sold only large white cars!

Old 04-09-2014, 06:04 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,442,779 times
It depends on the actual assessment. I have been looking at tax assessments and they are much lower. In Texas, they run $2.50-$3.00 per hundred. In the county we are buying in, the millage is almost half of that rate.

Old 10-24-2017, 10:11 AM

1 posts, read 661 times
Default Dont buy in psl

The taxes are outrageous here in PSL. You get nothing other than trash service. I moved here from Maryland. My taxes here are double what they were in MD. You can actually buy more home or a more expensive home and spend the same or less in WPB or other areas of the state.

Old 10-24-2017, 11:17 AM

5,687 posts, read 7,181,006 times
Florida pretty much depends on real estate and sales taxes for revenue. That's sometimes the problem with states that have no personal income tax. They get you one way or another. And the thing to beware of is, that property sits there like a piggy bank just begging to be raided. And not a thing you can do about it except to sell and move on. Which can take a while, and the higher the taxes, the less you can get for your property. You're kind of nailed to it until you unload.

Old 10-24-2017, 11:42 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,392,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Florida pretty much depends on real estate and sales taxes for revenue. That's sometimes the problem with states that have no personal income tax. They get you one way or another. And the thing to beware of is, that property sits there like a piggy bank just begging to be raided. And not a thing you can do about it except to sell and move on. Which can take a while, and the higher the taxes, the less you can get for your property. You're kind of nailed to it until you unload.
while the propriety taxes area bit higher in % than many places, just look at is as a deduction on your equity which will still go up at a higher rate, and is right now, and ultimately you will have more money than in a savings account.

Remember it is a % of the value, les any deductions permitted, such as the home stead deduction.

You could pay 1/2 the % in CA, but the wayyy higher housing prices would take even more out of your pocket when the tax was computed.

Old 10-24-2017, 11:59 AM

5,687 posts, read 7,181,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
while the propriety taxes area bit higher in % than many places, just look at is as a deduction on your equity which will still go up at a higher rate, and is right now, and ultimately you will have more money than in a savings account.

Remember it is a % of the value, les any deductions permitted, such as the home stead deduction.

You could pay 1/2 the % in CA, but the wayyy higher housing prices would take even more out of your pocket when the tax was computed.
Theoretically you are on the right track, however, never underestimate the ability of state and local government to extract fees and taxes. All this expansion is going to require infrastructure to handle it, even though it may seem OK right now. Then the fun and games will begin.

Why do you think local governments permitted so much development in sinkhole areas? Greed. All that tax money on housing, Florida's main source of revenue.

And don't forget insurance hikes. They're coming, depend on it.

Old 10-24-2017, 12:06 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,392,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Theoretically you are on the right track, however, never underestimate the ability of state and local government to extract fees and taxes. All this expansion is going to require infrastructure to handle it, even though it may seem OK right now. Then the fun and games will begin.

Why do you think local governments permitted so much development in sinkhole areas? Greed. All that tax money on housing, Florida's main source of revenue.

And don't forget insurance hikes. They're coming, depend on it.
Additional fees are typical everywhere. Insurance rates may rise, but if after a year no major storms hit then competitive pricing will occur again. These are things we have to plan on no matter where we live.

Now as to Greed, sure just as so much of the beach is not easy to get to because of all the houses along the beaches with no way to get to the each, if you could even find parking. This is one area where CA excels in making beach access great compared to FL. Money/Donations/Bribes to politicians in effect gave homeowners private beaches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida