U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2011, 04:38 AM

2 posts, read 2,855 times

Advertisements

At first, as I'm new to the forum, I wanted to say hello to everyone.
My name's Arek and I'm currently living in Glasgow, UK. I got a place at college and I'm going to study HND Hospitality Management in autumn this year. I'm working as a bartender for 3 years and I really love it - that's why I took to study Hospitality.
After 2 years in college + few more at Uni (International Business and Modern Languages) - I'd love to move to Florida. I know it's a long time to go but, because I'm Polish, I need a visa to come to USA and it's not very easy to get one. I want to know if it's a right place to live and to work in Hospitality industry. I've read Florida has 43 million tourists coming to the state every year. Is it very difficult to find a decent job on that field? And how is it with foreigners? Is it hard to settle down? And what's the best place to do so.
Thanks in advance,
Arek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 04:46 AM

34,241 posts, read 41,253,416 times
I'd focus on getting some sort of job with one of the large theme parks such as
Busch Gardens
Sea World
Disney World
Universal Studios
Also Many cruise ships based in Florida.
Lots of hotels but dont think desk clerk will be very rewarding and it certainly wont pay much,
Bar tending will get you by but it would depend on what bar and where..

Old 07-17-2011, 07:13 AM

509 posts, read 1,478,658 times
I think the idea of a job on a cruise ship might be a good way for you to see a variety of places, including Florida, and find out where you would really like to live. Florida is not all its cracked up to be and our economy is in the toilet. Jobs are scarce in every industry, even the tourist industry.

Old 07-24-2011, 12:27 AM

499 posts, read 1,595,277 times
Arrow Finding your key, cay or quay...

Getting a Visa will be difficult.

Your best bet as mentioned would be Cruise Liners -- or apply in the UK at a global hotel or restaurant chain that would apply and sponsor your visa in another country. NB: You'd probably have an easier time obtaining one in old Commonwealth countries such as Jamaica, Bahamas, BVI, Barbados, etc.

Given your age, I would think greater opportunities (and fun) would be at Caribbean or Mexican Resorts because they are newer properties that are also the most popular with tourists right now. Florida is having great difficulties competing with these "all inclusive" resorts.

Another option would be to apply for an advanced degree in Hospitality Management at Florida International University (FIU), which is widely acknowledged as a top degree in Caribbean, Latin/S Americas Hospitality concerns:
Florida International University - Chaplin School of Hospitality and Tourism Management - Bachelor and Master Degree Programs on Campus and via Distance Learning

Good Luck!

Old 07-24-2011, 05:24 AM

3,552 posts, read 6,175,716 times
Another thought.....Walt Disney World has an International College program that brings people from all over the world to work for 3-6 months in the theme parks. Might want to check to see if you could get accepted for the college program and do a trial time in Florida. Not sure on how long it takes to get accepted , the paperwork to come over etc, so you might want to talk to advisors at your college and see if they know about the program and what steps you would need to do to get accepted.
Several of my sons friends came to the US with the program, went back home, and have been able to come back and complete their college education here. This site might give you an idea of what it is.

https://www.disneyinternationalprograms.com/icp.html

Old 08-07-2011, 09:44 AM

2 posts, read 2,855 times
I checked the Walt Disney International program and they've got deals just with few Universities and Colleges in UK. To be honest I'm not planning to move anywhere until I finish my studies here so in few years time everything might change. I was thinking about cruise jobs and that could be fun.

And why do you thing getting a visa will be difficult?

Old 08-07-2011, 01:37 PM

7,647 posts, read 16,029,989 times
Visa classes range from fairly easy to get if you've got a sponsoring employer to nearly impossible. Where I live, we get a lot of Eastern European college kids who work here during the summer on H-2B visas, and that kind of employment is common in other areas where one season is The Season and they need more employees that time of year than what they can find in the local community.

Just be careful about any employment agencies that claim they'll help you get that kind of work. Most of them are honest, but there are scammers in that field that will either take your money and not give you anything in return, or you'll get to the US and your job will be nothing like you were promised it would be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or