U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 10:16 AM

3 posts, read 8,294 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My hubby and I are looking to move to Florida within a year or so. We are planning a trip in September and would like to explore the state to see where our future home will be. We currently live in Dallas and are looking for cities (both on the Gulf and Atlantic sides) where crime is low, the weather is pretty good year round, the beaches are fairly accessible and we have access to some great restaurants/city life (we wouldn't mind living in a suburb area and driving to the bigger city to get our restaurant fix). Both of us are in our late forties and are looking to get healthier and enhance the quality of our lives. I know this is a tall order but we need your help!

Any suggestions would be so appreciated. Feel free to mention some get suburbs to check out .

Thanks,
Michele
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 01:19 PM

21,114 posts, read 30,189,612 times
I'd recommend Ponte Vedra, Jupiter, or Sarasota in that order.

Old 07-18-2011, 05:39 PM

509 posts, read 1,478,658 times
St Augustine is nice. Not too big, near enough to Jacksonville when you need a big city fix. St. Augustine has a quaint, artsy feel to it and you can live near the beach or a little more inland. Its just south of Ponte Vedra. Deland is also very nice, inland from Daytona and not too far from Orlando. Hope you have fun!

Old 07-18-2011, 05:53 PM

2,291 posts, read 4,927,666 times
I like the west coast. Less traffic, more laid back. I have lived on Anna Marie Island, Palmetto and Ellenton in the Tampa Bay area. Beaches on the gulf are beautiful, soft white sand and easy access.

Old 07-19-2011, 04:34 AM

12 posts, read 25,334 times
Maybe Orlando/Sandford is a great city not just for kids.... You got downtown,restaurant, less than 2h to the beach and to Tampa 4h to Miami.... Not as big as Miami and Tampa or Jacksonville but is a big tourist city so maybe that a negative and another negative is crime is high but you can live in Sandford or Kissimmee area maybe Poinciana.. this cities are smaller than Orlando but the are together and plus they are cheaper...another thing is that they are less half an hour from downtown....
If you don't like Orlando than you should take Tampa than Jacksonville, Miami or
Maybe check smaller cities as Tallahassee the capital,Panama city,Fort Myers,Fort Lauderdale,Daltona beach,Ocala,Pensacola hope you find the city that fits you!!!

Old 07-19-2011, 03:48 PM

11,501 posts, read 13,392,230 times
A beach town on the gulf side for sure.

Most of them like Anna Maria, Venice, Tarpon and many others all are small enough to enjoy and have decent restaurants on the ocean and of course the all the best beaches in Florida are all within a couple hours drive north and south.

If you like the water, nice dining, small beach towns, low crime go to the gulf.

Old 07-19-2011, 05:37 PM

427 posts, read 701,547 times
Hi, Michelle. DH and I moved to Florida from White Rock Lake area a few years ago. Spent 25 years in big D and consider myself Texan. We just hit 50. I had spent some time in the St. Pete area as a kid, and have been coming to FL for quite a few years. It's quite a culture shock in many ways, and it takes a while to adjust, but I do have to say, our quality of life has improved. Of course, like you, we don't have to worry about school quality anymore. I'm guessing you are retired as well, because you can choose where you want to go. We wound up in Ocala, to help my parents, and decided to stay here. ( We can, because we're retired. Jobs here are scarce and you don't want to know the pay scale ) Orlando is nice to visit, but you couldn't pay me to live there. Remember what Dallas was like during the Superbowl with all the traffic and lost tourists? That's Orlando. Everyday. The East coast beaches are not our cup of tea, either. ( Jacksonville to maybe Jensen Beach or so ) Like all ocean beaches, it's colder, more turbulent, more undertow, more sharks, more "work". South of there, say to Miami, ummmmm......I don't think that would be a fit for us either, and it is expensive. The Panhandle is nice, but outside the towns, there's not much. Don't get me wrong, I love the area, but when you consider the weather ( it DOES get cold in the winters ), the hurricanes the past few years, and overall lack of cultural amenities, I wouldn't want to live there year round. You are kinda stuck in the middle of nowhere. I love St. Pete over Tampa. St. Pete has great beaches, museums, a functional downtown, with nice restaurants, beautiful parks, with great walking and biking along the bay. The Tampa Bay area in general has great shopping, restaurants, and my favorite airport. I also love the Sarasota area. Again great beaches, museums, parks, boating, fishing. We chose to stay in Ocala because, with the exception of the Panhandle and Miami, or the Keys, we are close enough to do day trips or weekend trips everywhere in Fl, and yet have a low cost of living by living inland. Lower property insurance, no flood insurance, no traffic. We have springs here for swimming and kayaking, horse farms, and beautiful scenery. Oh yeah, don't pay any attention to the politics of this county or the state, for that matter. I mean, Rick Scott? Really? This ain't Texas, it's the south. Overall, though, Florida has some of the greatest and most beautiful city, county, and state parks you have ever seen. And lots of them. There is always somewhere to walk, bike, camp, swim, and relax. Lots of music festivals, craft shows, and farmer's markets. Yeah, once you get out of Dallas mode, life is good here. And yeah, there's always something to do.

Old 07-19-2011, 06:59 PM

13 posts, read 32,662 times
Use this site my self, it helps, but posting and reading post'-preferably newer/latest...helps as much if not more. I'm a single, 45 yr. old gentleman, moving to the south east to help my breathing, and back...Cold and rain, just tear my day up... how far depends kind'a on when the money runs out/ have to bunker down get a job for the winter. Then, or meet the right person, ya know!

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.
Read more: Does living in florida really suck that bad?

Old 07-20-2011, 07:17 AM

15,115 posts, read 31,005,993 times
I'd recommend Sarasota, Jupiter, St. Augustine in that order. I'm a native Floridian who (with hubby) lives in Sarasota, and find it to be one of the best places to live in Florida, fulfills all that you are looking for. Be sure to check it out!

Old 07-20-2011, 08:39 AM

737 posts, read 1,475,380 times
Polk county is in between both sides of Florida and in between Orlando and Tampa with I4 and the polk toll road for easy access to both sides. Lakeland is the largest town in Polk county but Winter Haven is anther good choice being next to Lakeland and easy access to Lakeland as well. Winter Haven has good resturants and 3 theaters that I can think of right off hand. Lake is one of the few place with a drive inn. Plus all the walk in they must have there in Lakeland.

I have a sister who lives in Sarasota and she likes it there, one of my cousin also lives in Sarasota.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or