Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 02:32 PM

7 posts, read 12,581 times

Advertisements

I inherited my parents home in Hernando county florida. I want to have the home transferred into my name but I do not know what happens with the mortgage that is on the home. Will I just continue payments or will I have to refinance the mortgage in my name. I can't believe that the bank will let me continue paying the mortgage without some type of agreement that is in my name, not my parents. I would appreciate if someone knows the answer to this... Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 03:07 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
Call a lawyer.

The lawyer that informed you that you inherited the home doesn't know? Did your parents die? Because that what an inheritance means.

In any event, no one can advise you like a lawyer. And no, you don't pay the mortgage. It's not in your name.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:04 AM

7 posts, read 12,581 times
Thanks! But I do have a lawyer in Florida and somehow I thought getting an answer on here was not a problem, but I guess it is.

Old 07-23-2011, 10:53 AM

73 posts, read 420,985 times
You'll have to have the names on the deed and mortgage changed into yours, and continue payments. If you don't do this, then the home will not legally be yours. Refinancing is a different thing; when the home becomes officially yours, then you should be able to do that. Good luck. Btw, the bank doesn't care who pays, as long as they're getting the money.

Old 07-23-2011, 04:07 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
You have a lawyer but prefer to ask a bunch of strangers on a forum for advice concerning a home and inheritance?

Old 07-23-2011, 04:17 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,319,041 times
First: dont pay the mortgage
Second: move into the house
Third: let the bank foreclose on it
Fourth: sue the bank and claim "adverse possession"
Fifth: get a free house

I am not a lawyer, but this is what I would do, it's the fashionable thing lately.

Old 07-23-2011, 04:22 PM

5,181 posts, read 6,136,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlanticdare View Post
Thanks! But I do have a lawyer in Florida and somehow I thought getting an answer on here was not a problem, but I guess it is.
You need professional advice ASAP. The big thing is the mortgage. Is the house underwater, worth less than owed. If not a leap of faith on your part making payments on a loan your not on. Banks will start paper on late payments and then your playing catchup if you even qualify for a mortgage on it. Good Luck and be very pro active

Old 07-23-2011, 04:31 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,929,594 times
I have to agree with Hiknapster and JBtwinz. After all, there's a difference between signing onto a forum to get information and opinions and handling a legal matter.

Will this be your primary residence? If so, you need to change the name of the deed and file for Homestead Exemption. If not, but your parents were living there, your taxes will change. Too many things to list, but you won't get all the answers here, only a few suggestions.

You might also have to report this to the IRS. Depends on the situation. (if they're alive or deceased, if there is equity in the home, etc.)

As above suggested, you need to call an Estate Attorney and/or a Certified Public Accountant. Too many "what ifs" to discuss.

Old 07-23-2011, 04:43 PM

181 posts, read 291,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish_LittleFish View Post
You'll have to have the names on the deed and mortgage changed into yours, and continue payments. If you don't do this, then the home will not legally be yours. Refinancing is a different thing; when the home becomes officially yours, then you should be able to do that. Good luck. Btw, the bank doesn't care who pays, as long as they're getting the money.

I think you nailed it.

Old 07-23-2011, 04:57 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,427,246 times
Sounds like you need to go through probate (lawyers, court, judge). They would have been very wise to have established a Trust w/ you included - would have made things a lot easier for beneficiaries.

This guy would know.

http://www.attypip.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida