U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2011, 10:44 PM

114 posts, read 241,532 times

Advertisements

Florida Makes $63M Selling Drivers' Info
Judge Says Info Selling Legal
by Jeff Weinsier
POSTED: Tuesday, July 19, 2011
UPDATED: 12:41 am EDT July 20, 2011
Email
Print

Florida Makes $63M Selling Drivers' Info - Miami News Story - WPLG Miami

MIAMI -- The state of Florida made $63 million last year selling what many think is personal information.
Local 10 has learned the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles is selling people's names, addresses, dates of birth, a list of the vehicles they drive, and it's legal.
"Per federal mandate, there are companies that are entitled to this information. Insurance companies, for example, are entitled to this information. Employers are entitled to this information," said Ann Howard of the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles.
The state is currently selling this information to companies including Lexus Nexus and Shadow Soft. Those companies gather data on people and then sell that data. The companies must sign contracts with state claiming they won't harass people.
"This information cannot be sold to a company that plans to solicit business, such as companies that want you to come to their ice cream store or companies that want you to buy their vehicles," Howard said.
The state does not sell Social Security numbers or driver's license numbers, and a Florida judge said what the state is doing is legal.
No one outside the driver's license office in Lauderhill believed it.
"This is my own personal information, and I don't think it should be out there," said John Platt.
"You're kidding me," said Bebe Neice
"That's crazy. I didn't have a clue about it," said Mischka Peralto.
The state said selling the information is also a matter of public safety. There are 15.5 million registered drivers in Florida, and the state charges companies 1 cent per electronic file. If a vehicle is recalled, the state of Florida has the latest and most current information on who owns that vehicle, so the manufacturer can notify the owners of the recall.
Only judges and law enforcement officers can request their personal information not be sold.
"If a company violates the Federal Driver Privacy Protection Act, they do face federal charges and federal fines," Howard said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 12:31 AM

34,242 posts, read 41,253,416 times
Look at it as $63 million that wont come out of peoples taxes..

Old 07-22-2011, 12:51 PM

11,501 posts, read 13,392,230 times
Your info is sold over and over by your banks, credit cards, phones, cable etc.

It is called a mailing list and if a company can sell your info they will.

It is huge profits to companies who do this.

There are many mailing list companies who specialize is obtaining and re selling your name.

I agree with Jambo, better this then higher taxes.

The only issue I would have is what they are doing with the money.

Old 07-22-2011, 07:22 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,020,003 times
Wink No, way

'Only judges and law enforcement officers can request their personal information not be sold.' [1]

The key word here is 'personal.'

Since that information is mandatory to obtain a driver's license, which in this country is almost obligatory to survive, then the state of Florida is essentially forcing its citizens to violate their Constitutional rights.

No surprise some judge should rule such practices are legal, but history is repeat with bad court rulings through time, including the US Supreme Court.

Wrong on a variety of levels.

1) 'Florida Makes $63M Selling Drivers' Info,' Local10.com

Old 07-23-2011, 01:51 AM

1,468 posts, read 4,155,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days-in-Florida View Post
Your info is sold over and over by your banks, credit cards, phones, cable etc.

It is called a mailing list and if a company can sell your info they will.

It is huge profits to companies who do this.

There are many mailing list companies who specialize is obtaining and re selling your name.

I agree with Jambo, better this then higher taxes.

The only issue I would have is what they are doing with the money.
Everything you do generates something that can be used. My friend had a stroke and he has been getting things from people trying to sell cemetery plots to cryogenics. You are nothing but a dollar sign in this world from the time you are born till you die.

Old 07-24-2011, 12:18 PM

8,487 posts, read 5,887,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idunn View Post
'Only judges and law enforcement officers can request their personal information not be sold.' [1]

The key word here is 'personal.'

Since that information is mandatory to obtain a driver's license, which in this country is almost obligatory to survive, then the state of Florida is essentially forcing its citizens to violate their Constitutional rights.

No surprise some judge should rule such practices are legal, but history is repeat with bad court rulings through time, including the US Supreme Court.

Wrong on a variety of levels.
1) 'Florida Makes $63M Selling Drivers' Info,' Local10.com

I mentioned this awhile back to people, who seem to think I was making it up. The state of FL would never sell your information apparently.

I agree. You are coerced, basically. Very different from choosing to do business w/ a private company. Thinking it is related to taxes, is mind boggling.

Do you know FL finished 2010 appearing to show net assets of 58bil? (Plenty of "wealth" that isn't even included in that figure btw) How do you think profiting off of your information has any bearing on taxes?

Last edited by CDusr; 07-24-2011 at 12:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida