U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 03:19 AM

3 posts, read 4,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin from Tampa View Post
I'm not sure I understand what you're asking...are you asking if there is any way to 100% ensure that you won't ever see a spider while you're in Florida? Or is there a way to 100% ensure that one will never enter your home?

If that's what you're asking, then no one could make that promise.

However, I have lived nearly all my life in Florida....grew up here...have kids of my own here....and I can tell you that I've never been bitten by a spider. I'm not even sure I've had one crawl on me. Now, I've seen some doozies...ones that build huge-ass webs that span 10-15 feet...but fear them? Nah.
kevin from tampa, i just wanted to know about stopping them from coming into the house, thats all im worried about. i know that they are everywhere in florida but are there any particular parts of florida where they are less abundant, or is it pretty much the same across the state??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 07:00 AM

1,579 posts, read 2,793,069 times
I've been in SW Florida for a little over 6 weeks now. Yes we have spiders. We have the house treated and we spray outside when ever we see them. We have a lot of the brown widows. Our lot is heavily wooded on three sides so spiders here are going to be an issue. I've always hated spiders but now getting desensitized to them. When I see them around windows and such outside I get out the Ortho and spay them. If I happen to see one inside I used to get hubby but now I just suck them into the vacuum and take it out and empty it. Dealing with a spider now and then is well worth the life here.

Old 07-23-2011, 07:16 AM

22,554 posts, read 47,336,711 times
You can cut down all the trees and vegetation and you are still going to see spiders. It's unrealistic to think you'll never see a spider.

If you're in England you are going to have bigger issues trying to get over here on a work visa than spiders.

Old 07-23-2011, 07:22 AM

34,365 posts, read 41,446,089 times
Cutting down all the trees and vegetation around the house may have the opposite effect than you intend as then all the bugs etc. will gravitate to the house for shade and protection and places to build nests..

Old 07-23-2011, 07:46 AM

8,488 posts, read 17,934,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguechloe View Post
what the hell is that!!!! thats not a banana spider is it??
That's a Huntsman spider, they are not dangerous.

Old 07-23-2011, 05:01 PM

6,853 posts, read 19,800,931 times
I understand your fear. You need to remember Florida has creatures, spiders included, most are not going to be harmful. My father and a good friend did get bit last spring by a brown recluse spider while doing work under a house. They like dark place evidently. This was the worst spider bites I have ever seen, both recovered fine. They now know about this spider, spayed under the house, and now know how to take precautions when under the house.

If you have the yard sprayed, your house doesn't have any cracks or spaces the spiders can climb into the house, you keep your windows and doors closed, and your house is clean you really shouldn't have a problem. We left some back doors open one cool evening to let fresh air in the house and a huge rat ran into the house, took two days to get it trapped. So keep your doors and windows closed and you shouldn't have a problem.

I don't usually see spiders in the house, I do see them in the yard even though we have the yard sprayed. Usually when they spray the yard they aren't spraying high in the bushes so that's why I still see the spiders every so often in the bushes. Maybe you can ask the spray guys to spray the entire bushes along with the grass. Summer and spring is usually when I see them out more.

Look, spiders are the least of your concern when it comes to creatures in Florida, IMO. Mosquitos carrying all kinds of diseases like dengue fever or west nile is a bigger concern than spiders. Or the disgusting flying roaches aka Palmetto Bugs which thankfully I haven't seen in years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguechloe View Post
ok, so ive finally convinced my partner that moving to florida isnt such a bad idea! now its me having the second thoughts!! ive got such a bad phobia of spiders, i even had a panic attack when i once nearly touched one in the kitchen sink by accident! so its not just a dislike for them, i am terrified! i want to get it sorted as i cant let a phobia stop me from living my dream, im just nervous about moving to a place where there are spiders that are poisonous!! i have a daughter aswell and wouldnt want her to ever get bitten especially by a black widow for instance, although i know its very rare to hear of it, but it has been heard of! i know that if we moved it would be to a house that has no trees or shrubbery or anything next to it, so thats the first thing, and i would have my partner fill in all the cracks outside and in, and i would always leave the plug in the sink whether using it or not. my question is if we do this and have the house and gardens treated every 2/3 months whatever and put sticky pads around every window and sprayed the usual stuff, lavender, lemon or whatever they dont like, would this keep them out of the house????? im not naive to think i'll never see one but just as long as its not the big bastards like brown recluse or wolf spider or black widow or anything like that!! i know there everywhere, and i know people think its stupid but you cant help it if you have a phobia of something!!!!

Last edited by doggiebus; 07-23-2011 at 05:33 PM..

Old 07-23-2011, 07:04 PM

22,554 posts, read 47,336,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
If you have the yard sprayed, your house doesn't have any cracks or spaces the spiders can climb into the house, you keep your windows and doors closed, and your house is clean you really shouldn't have a problem. We left some back doors open one cool evening to let fresh air in the house and a huge rat ran into the house, took two days to get it trapped. So keep your doors and windows closed and you shouldn't have a problem.
Actually, cleanliness has nothing to do with whether you have a spider in the house or not. Keeping windows and doors closed certainly helps but they can still come in.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:34 AM

3,558 posts, read 6,203,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
I understand your fear. You need to remember Florida has creatures, spiders included, most are not going to be harmful. My father and a good friend did get bit last spring by a brown recluse spider while doing work under a house. They like dark place evidently. This was the worst spider bites I have ever seen, both recovered fine. They now know about this spider, spayed under the house, and now know how to take precautions when under the house.

I don't usually see spiders in the house, I do see them in the yard even though we have the yard sprayed. Usually when they spray the yard they aren't spraying high in the bushes so that's why I still see the spiders every so often in the bushes. Maybe you can ask the spray guys to spray the entire bushes along with the grass. Summer and spring is usually when I see them out more.

Look, spiders are the least of your concern when it comes to creatures in Florida, IMO. Mosquitos carrying all kinds of diseases like dengue fever or west nile is a bigger concern than spiders. Or the disgusting flying roaches aka Palmetto Bugs which thankfully I haven't seen in years.
Actually, what we were told by our "bug company".....spiders are not killed by the sprays unless it hits them directly and pretty much smothers them. They are not an insect and they actually walk on their legs high off the surface so they do not come in contact with the spray that keeps other insects out of your yard and house. They do however come out on a scheduled basis and remove all the spider webs from your windows, eves, etc when they come out to spray.

Old 07-24-2011, 09:31 AM

374 posts, read 808,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
Actually, what we were told by our "bug company".....spiders are not killed by the sprays unless it hits them directly and pretty much smothers them. They are not an insect and they actually walk on their legs high off the surface so they do not come in contact with the spray that keeps other insects out of your yard and house. They do however come out on a scheduled basis and remove all the spider webs from your windows, eves, etc when they come out to spray.
And because the spray kills insects but doesn't kill the spiders, it actually benefits the brown recluse spider because it feeds on the carcasses of other insects/spiders. So if there is/are brown recluse spiders in your house (and the statistics say there probably is at least one somewhere in your house depending upon what part of the country you live) it's a dilemma as to whether or not to spray in those dark areas where they are known to live...

And BTW, the brown recluse isn't a particularly large, ugly, or scary-looking spider. It's rather smallish and wispy - but packs a deadly bite. I prefer to look for the violin/fiddle on its back AFTER killing it...and I've found 3 in my house so far this year (I live in TN) After years of looking the other way and a live-and-let-live attitude for small "house spiders," now all spiders in my path are sent to spider Heaven - except the daddy long-legs which just get tossed outside...

Old 07-24-2011, 09:35 AM

181 posts, read 254,946 times
Is there anywhere in the country that doesn't have spiders?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida