Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 11:45 AM

181 posts, read 291,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Yes, you are right, they are primarily to blame for this bum economy. However, the Government has to step up and do it's part by giving these money hungry people some boundaries, unfortunately, our Government has a price tag. See there has to be a balance between letting the free market do its thing, and the Government making sure people aren't completely forgotten about.
I do not think you understand the very simple concept that..

..the people's lives you wish to improve..WILL improve when the corporations you seem to so displeased with their profits of...make much BIGGER profits.

I'm sorry there's no other way.

In other words.."the greedy ones" aren't doing so well..that hurts government coffers and people that are dependent on the companies for employment..OR government largesse.

So I guess..hope the greedy ones get more rich.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 11:48 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,947,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $musicman$ View Post
I do not think you understand the very simple concept that..

..the people's lives you wish to improve..WILL improve when the corporations you seem to so displeased with their profits of...make much BIGGER profits.

I'm sorry there's no other way.

In other words.."the greedy ones" aren't doing so well..that hurts government coffers and people that are dependent on the companies for employment..OR government largesse.

So I guess..hope the greedy ones get more rich.
No you don't get it do you? It's how they are making more money that's killing our middle class. They are cutting jobs here, and finding tax loopholes to increase profit, therefore I equate it to greed. So I hope you're right, I hope the more they make, the more they share. History tells another story however...good day.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:58 AM

181 posts, read 291,225 times
Quote:
No you don't get it do you? It's how they are making more money that's killing our middle class. They are cutting jobs here, and finding tax loopholes to increase profit, therefore I equate it to greed. So I hope you're right, I hope the more they make, the more they share. History tells another story however...good day.
Cutting jobs is what happens all throughout history..when companies start suffering.

When their business suffers, they don't need a lot of workers sitting around with nothing to do.

..and this is why so many small mom and pop stores went out first..nothing to cut for them..except themselves.

..but understand that..cutting workers is the way to save a business, so that the laid off workers and other workers will eventually be able to return.

The only thing historically significant about this recession..is the incredibly slow, lackluster recovery..and more and more businesses are finding it impossible to hold on.

Old 07-25-2011, 12:39 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Voldemort needs to go back to the planet from whence he came.

Old 07-25-2011, 12:47 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,947,113 times
Quote:
Cutting jobs is what happens all throughout history..when companies start suffering.

When their business suffers, they don't need a lot of workers sitting around with nothing to do.

..and this is why so many small mom and pop stores went out first..nothing to cut for them..except themselves.

..but understand that..cutting workers is the way to save a business, so that the laid off workers and other workers will eventually be able to return.

The only thing historically significant about this recession..is the incredibly slow, lackluster recovery..and more and more businesses are finding it impossible to hold on.
Yeah, tough times call for tough measures. Nothing like being paid millions for failing at running your business profitably. Oh the humanity, these poor executives won't be able to sustain their irresponsible personal spending (which is funny since they consider themselves fiscal conservatives) after their company goes belly up. Oh wait never mind, executives never take the brunt of a company going under, they get severance pay which is commonly called a golden parachute, for failing. Where is all the outrage on that!!!!???

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Voldemort needs to go back to the planet from whence he came.
I know right +1 .

Old 07-25-2011, 10:09 PM

66 posts, read 207,413 times
Okay Massive Reply, here we go:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
Ditto.... A big FAIL for Dick Snott from me....
This was to funny, +1.

Quote:
..sounds like he didn't do anything to create GOVERMENT jobs..which is good. The country is trying to figure out how to have LESS of those.
he hasn't done anything to create ANY jobs. Just before he was elected and a few months in to his term, unemployment was going down here. As soon as he was able to begin implementing his idea, unemployment ROSE BACK to above 10%. He also cut a a bunch of those, you know, shovel ready jobs and stuff... I believe they were private gigs... go figure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Would love to hear how having fewer government jobs is "good" since fat cat CEOs have outsourced most other jobs overseas. Are you referring to more service industry jobs paying $8 an hour? Because that seems to be the only other alternative available. Or better yet perhaps we can become more of a militaristic country by increasing our military budget so we can accommodate more of the unemployed.
Sadly I have to say that, from a strictly comparative advantage viewpoint, outsourcing isn't as bad as it sounds in some circumstances. We shouldn't be making shirts in this country because it will cost $50 a shirt... but some things we shouldn't be outsourcing... on the social side of things, outsourcing is a horrid practice.

Quote:
I see that the private sector is the bad guy in your world..the government is your trusted friend..good luck with that.

..and I'm IN the service industry..always have been..make a pretty good living...don't intend to change anything.

No..we need to cut the military some as well..and definitely cut OFF umemployment..that just encourages people to quit looking for work..and be freeloaders.
Sometimes the private sector is very greedy... At least there is some form of accountability in government, even if A FEW people get away with stealing from it... to include Rick Scott.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Objectively, what positive things has Rick Scott done for Florida so far?

He wants to "make Florida more attractive to business".... but we were and are already high on lists for low taxes and low business regulations compared with other states.

He promised 700k jobs by the end of his term. He's already in the hole on that promise. He has worked tirelessly for insurance companies, which strangle the housing market even further and make the state less attractive to relocating businesses.

No, Rick Scott is a joke. The only karmic consolation prize is that he squandered tens of millions of dollars for a one term governorship. Even then, I'm sure the governorship was just a calculated step to make a profit off of something realted to same, somewhere, somehow in the future!
Almost like he pulled a bait & switch, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I never said the private sector is the bad guy, misinterpret much? Or that I trusted the government. My point is downsizing government and/or cutting government funding at a time when the private sector is in flames probably isn't the best idea. Lastly cutting unemployment benefits when there aren't jobs for everyone probably isn't a great idea either. Massive cuts in our out-of-control military spending and the unrealistic expectation that those few individuals (and corporations) who pull in the top 10% of income would have to pay their fair share of taxes would go a long way toward making that happen.
All I will add to this is that we had to do some major spending after the 1930's, and luckily (choice of wordage?) we had a major war which required extensive military manufacturing. Now were just spending mad loot on the military but not making anything. Another example of how a larger government pulled the country out of a hole, by providing demand for wartime products... Well now the government is trying to provide demand for infrastructure overhaul... if history repeats itself, which it does, then infrastructure overhaul is a good buck spent.

Quote:
Indeed, reign in those corporations. However I fear that only once the people in charge of corporations change their thinking, then can the tax loopholes be closed and etc. They're too greedy and closing their extra income sources will force them to cut jobs so they can continue to line their pockets. We need new thinkers who understand the dangers of greed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida