Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 09:17 PM

817 posts, read 2,250,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Frankly, I think the idea of conducting other activities while driving is just plain stupid.
Really? If you have passengers in the car, do you never speak with them?

Do you never use the radio? Use the AC? Roll down your window?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2011, 06:47 AM

10,233 posts, read 6,317,831 times
Personally, I rarely have a passenger in my car. I turn on the radio before I leave my driveway and keep the same station on all the time. Same with the AC. My windows stay shut because I always have the AC on.

Old 12-18-2011, 09:00 AM

84 posts, read 229,397 times
i'm fine with a ban on texting, and even no hands free. but banning altogether is ludicrous.
for the person that thinks conversations with someone in the car are less dangerous than a hands free conversation, you are out of your mind. i can be having a conversation in the passenger seat while my husband is driving, and have to gently remind him that he's going 40 in a 65 or that he missed our turn. and we're in our 30's. you have obviously never had a child in your car either.
and i find eating much more distracting while driving than talking on the phone. what about the people that put on their makeup and shave (yes, i've seen it) while driving? i've also seen people screaming at their radios, so to say that isn't distracting is wrong.
i also agree with whoever said they drive with one hand. i rarely drive with 2 hands on the wheel. only when it's raining, snowing, or really windy. and by nature i assume most people with sticks only have one hand on the wheel a lot of the time.

Old 12-18-2011, 09:19 PM

817 posts, read 2,250,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Personally, I rarely have a passenger in my car. I turn on the radio before I leave my driveway and keep the same station on all the time. Same with the AC. My windows stay shut because I always have the AC on.
You rarely ever drive with a passenger...but that does not mean never. So on the rare occasion that you have a passenger in the car with you, and that passenger starts talking to you, do you ignore them?

And let me get this straight...you turn on the radio in the driveway and then never touch it while driving? And you never touch the AC while driving? NEVER? And you never operate the windows while driving? NEVER?

So what you're basically saying is, we should ban using those things, right? If so, you win this argument. We should ban ANY activity that might take your COMPLETE AND TOTAL ATTENTION from the road.

Old 12-21-2011, 09:22 AM

55 posts, read 152,317 times
I love this topic. And would like to clear up a few points. I wish I was middle aged. I don’t think I am going to make it to 104. Just for the record middle aged comes in at around 37. (but that’s up for discussion too.
Secondly I am a horrible driver with or without my headset attached to my ear so I doubt it makes much difference. It is however better than spilling the condiments of a whopper all over myself while driving or a of cup of coffee goes flying because someone else made a smooth move on the road.
The fact remains, some of us have schedules and jobs that provide support for our families that require travel and for us to be attached at the hip. I cannot remember the last vacation I took (even) a short weekend trip that did not require i take my laptop with or answer numerous phone calls.
No I am not the CEO or CFO or any OO. But in this economic environment I am lucky to get the check I get. And while I would love to have a job or a lifestyle of the 1950's I sadly cannot, at least yet.
This is what the world has become and those of us that take the extra steps and expense to get smart phones with hands free operation should get cut some slack. And I guarantee you as a whole we do a lot better on the road than most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: