Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 11:06 PM

165 posts, read 652,866 times

Advertisements

My house is far from hurricane proof, but I did my best with the money I had.....cement block exterior walls, storm panels for windows and doors, buying in a high and dry non-flood and non- evacuation zone. I am about 5 miles from the beach....and my roof isn't the greatest, but I am doing my best............................. The point of all this are the risks taken by the insurance companies, especially if a hurricane makes their obscene (USA- all states) profits dip a bit. Yes, payouts are high, but most companies are making money hand over fist because they insure lots of different places. .................................... A lot of people buy or build houses that are cr*ppy for hurricanes. Price is not a factor. There are cheap as well as expensive cr*p......................... Wooden houses aren't the best to buy....and many were built before the stricter codes after 1992. Most were not retro-fitted for hurricane clamps, etc...................... The new houses are supposed to be much stronger--and many are. But some even now are just sh*t and only a little better than the old houses. (When you and yours work on construction like my people, you KNOW construction basics and what goes into those new homes.) ........................... Of course the vast majority of houses do not have hurricane resistant windows (mine doesn't--that's especially why I have panels).................. Many people have no kind of ready protection for windows and doors--not even plywood....and they often go rushing around at the last minute when you might not be able to buy much............... Also, one of the worst things is buying in a flood and evacuation zone. Okay, the rich can afford the beach or anywhere else.... But why are so many fools buying low land? Most of New Orleans is BELOW sea level....that is why they have levies.....and they are rebuilding like nothing happened...........I hope they build better................................ Take poor quality construction, no protection for doors and windows, older roofs, and the biggie buying in a flood plain and low level land......and you are going to have a lot of damage and destruction........and EVERYBODY is going to pay higher insurance costs................ Whether you deserve it or not. It is called sharing the risk..............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2006, 09:51 AM

7 posts, read 24,915 times
I live in central Fl, just north of Orlando in Seminole County - our insurance company Claridon canceled us this year ($800 policy). Several insurance companies would not take us as they said my 1984 house was too old to insure. The questionable State Farm took us for $1600 with a higher hurricane deductible then our last policy. Our home appraised last year at $215,000. Several of my neighbors have been cancelled also - different companies. We do not live in a flood zone either (I work in the civil field – I checked) The new preliminary FEMA flood zone maps can be looked @ Seminole Co web site (Orange County has just started their map modernization program – no prelim map yet) http://gis_arc.seminolecountyfl.gov/website/fema/viewer.htm (broken link) & http://www.seminolecountyfl.gov/pd/b...imfloodmap.asp
My insurance has not gone up as much as the south or coastal areas and I consider my situation bad but theirs is just plain unbelievable! Fl has a real insurance and property tax crises going on right now. Something has to be done.

Old 09-13-2006, 10:56 AM

Angry insurance?

Sad to say, our polititians pay too much lip service and don't do much...... Hey, they can afford nice homes and pay the insurance and what do they care about the rest of us....... You'd see them jump hoops to lower insurance if it affected their pocketbooks..... Greedy and selfish is the order of the day.....

Old 09-13-2006, 11:02 AM

Angry lousy politicians and insurance

Politicians kiss the b*tt of insurance companies because they give the politicians lots of money for election campaigns......

Old 09-13-2006, 11:20 AM

36 posts, read 218,228 times
I live Southwest of Orlando, my house is 6 years old. Last year Allstate did not renew my insurance but transfered my policy to another that took me in for under $600.00 a year. I have a 4 bedroom house in a 1/4 acre lot. I wonder all these people paying thousands of dollars live? Because I don't pay nearly as much...I'm west of Clermont.

Anyway, I'm originally from the Caribbean where all the hurricanes pass by, lived in Florida for almost 20 and in 38 years have only lived through 5 or hurricanes total - that's all. I am not scared of them. I know by experience that the possibilities to get hit too many times are slim.. Just like tornadoes in other States.

I totally agree is a state of Mind. You prepare your house and NEVER underestimate a storm and you will be fine, again, by preparing your home and belongings.

Good luck with your move.

Old 01-06-2007, 09:03 AM

1 posts, read 3,069 times
Question Any legitimate company writing hurricane insurance in Florida

It is now Jan, 2007 and I was hoping that the hurricane insurance situation would be better given the fact that it was supposedly a priority item for candidates running for office here. My company, Clarendon Select (A Tower Hill Company) left Florida and let me know in June at the beginning of the 2006 hurricane season that our policy would be canceled in 90 days. Of course no one would write a policy during the season so we asked Chase, our mortgage company, to be patient and we would find a replacement ASAP. Instead they tried to force place a policy with a company they happen to own with an extremely high premium and even went so far as to try to back date the policy. Apparently this is not legal in some states (though it's OK in Florida!). We fought this and ended up paying off the mortgage. We felt that after the election we could take our time and find a new policy. Well, several months later and still no reputable company is writing hurricane insurance here. We almost took a policy with Federated National Insurance until a friend who is an adjustor said that this company which is poorly financed (apparently you only need $5 million to start an insurance company here) is so bad about paying claims that they don't answer their phones and refuse to talk with him even when he appears at their tiny office. He says the same about Universal Property and Casual. When I called the Florida Insurance Commisioner's office they don't tell you any of this. QUESTION: 1) does anyone know of any REAL company writing policies here and 2) does anyone know of any good investigative reporter who might be willing to do a story on what seems to be real fraud being perpetrated on the public here - i.e. poorly financed, less than reputable companies being allowed to write policies that won't be worth the paper they're written on if there is a real hurricane. Citizen's won't be able to deal with a disaster either if 80% or more of the state ends up being covered by one "company". Appreciate any guidance.

Old 05-04-2007, 12:56 PM

1 posts, read 2,953 times
Angry Liability Insurance

Is there any insurance company that writes liability only insurance on homes. I would love to drop my homeowner's insurance (they don't cover anything anyhow these days) and I don't have a mortgage. In just a few years we would have saved enough to pay for hurricane damages. I am sick, sick, sick of the politician and insurance company B.S. We have all paid premiums for years, for heaven's sake, and most of us have had no claims. But the premium and profits of these scam artists continues to grow. My husband wants to head out of here ASAP (if we can sell our lovely home); I want to stay.

Old 04-30-2011, 11:25 AM

8 posts, read 18,224 times
May 1, 2011 : Receive a letter today from Liberty Mutual Florida stating that we are being DROPPED - our home owners insurance policy has been cancelled - as of our forthcoming renewal date of Nov 2011.

I've been with Liberty Mutual of Florida for 15 years; from my first townhome, then converted to an apartment/fire policy, then converted to a homeowners policy .. now that I have a wife and 2 young children to protect in this regard.

In all of the 15 years, I have not once submitted a claim. I have, however, dealt with their oftentimes very significant increases in policy premiums; especially over the last 5 years.

What an absolute shame and disgrace, Liberty Mutual. The letter offers their "apology for any inconvenience". Inconvenience? What an understatement. You F**ked us, plain and simple.

Old 05-01-2011, 05:52 AM

3,417 posts, read 7,785,389 times
FMAP - Login
Look here for help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida