Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 04:12 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,089,599 times

Advertisements

One of the best places in Florida is Navarre (NW Florida). Small town close to Fort Walton Beach on the east and Pensacola on the west. Life is easy going, arrived 1998 and plan on staying for another 10 to 15 years. Schools are A+ rated, housing a bit expensive but affortable, Gulf of Mexico 3 mile drive, lots of new developments. The work force is driven my military needs for USAF, Navy and Army, lots of government/contractors jobs. Superb medical facilities and new ones under construction.

As a retired USAF member with 22+ years of service had the opportunity to live at Satellite Beach (2nd choice) and Homestead. Navarre is small town and is growing and improving services.

We adapted and this is home. The only downfall is the Hurricanes, but this is Florida...[
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2006, 07:31 PM

6 posts, read 15,553 times
Default Hutchinson Island

I lived in Philadelphia Pa. all my life and just retired to Florida. I spent 4 years researching and going to seminars about Florida. The last 4 years before retiring I went down to Florida each year to check out east and west coast and northern, southern and central Florida. The last year before I retired I flew into Ft. Lauderdale to check out W Palm Beach and Boca area. I was there for one week. After seeing the price of realestate on the ocean (condos) and the traffic I thought Philadelphia was the better choice. I was so depressed about S. Florida that I gave up on the idea of moving to Florida. The last day before I flew back to Philly I was having breakfast at my motel where I was staying. I was wearing my baseball cap which had Penn State logo on it. Out from nowhere a strange man came up to me and started yelling saying the coach should not be there at Penn State. At this point I wanted run from this crazy person. Then he said why are you here. I told him I was looking for a place to retire. He said what did you do for a living, I said law enforcement. He changed his attitude and said do youself a favor and go to Hutchinson Island. Being my last day in Florida and being somewhat depressed I set out to find Hutchinson Island. About 1 hour later I dicovered paradise. I found RE office and they showed me 3 bedroom condo on the 17th flr. with wraparound balcony. After seeing the million dollar view the rest was history. After 3 years of living in paradise there is no other place to live. Hutchinson Island

Old 09-07-2006, 09:04 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,606,954 times
[quote=sunrico90;82672]One of the best places in Florida is Navarre (NW Florida). Small town close to Fort Walton Beach on the east and Pensacola on the west. Life is easy going, arrived 1998 and plan on staying for another 10 to 15 years. Schools are A+ rated, housing a bit expensive but affortable, Gulf of Mexico 3 mile drive, lots of new developments. The work force is driven my military needs for USAF, Navy and Army, lots of government/contractors jobs. Superb medical facilities and new ones under construction.

As a retired USAF member with 22+ years of service had the opportunity to live at Satellite Beach (2nd choice) and Homestead. Navarre is small town and is growing and improving services.

We adapted and this is home. The only downfall is the Hurricanes, but this is Florida...[[/QUOTE

I'm glad for you that you like this area, however, I have to say, I'm tired of it, myself. Of course, I've lived in Santa Rosa County, (Navarre, since 1988), for a total of twenty-six years, (almost twenty-seven) and I've seen some changes, not all of them for the better. I'm also tired of the excessive heat, humidity, bugs, etc., but, that is another story . I will say, that if I have to continue to live in Florida, I would rather live here, than a number of other areas in the state, that I've been to, particularly the southern end, (no offense to those who live there, but I am not fond of big populations and all the trouble that goes with it.)

Hurricanes, yes, they are a downfall, alright, especially after you go through season after season of watching potential storms and hoping that they don't come your way, and that after they do, you'll be "lucky" again, and not lose everything you own, or worse, (and, God bless those who have gone through that).And, having to repair stuff over and over again gets irritating. That six-month long constant vigilance can be a bit wearing...

I will have to say, though, I'm a little curious, if you think this area is so great, why are you only planning on staying for another ten to fifteen years, since you are retired. I don't mean that to sound ugly or sarcastic; I'm just wondering.

Old 09-07-2006, 10:30 AM

442 posts, read 2,904,503 times
I hate florida use to love it but now i hate it....
Not to many English speaking areas left.. just a whole lot of RUDE people
traffic sucks....
Home Prices unaffordable
Insurance well it simply a sham!
but hey its the american way...
good luck to those who take on this state...you'll need alot of xanax!

Old 09-07-2006, 10:57 AM

566 posts, read 2,052,080 times
No, I didn't move from someplace else..I was born here decades ago and am certainly not poor at all & I live in Coral Gables. I have seen the changes of S.Florida...my insurance was cancelled 3 times by private insurers and now all the choice I get is Citizens insurance at the not so big of a problem & really cheap $10,000 yr. and they planned on going up for the coming year, which fortunately I have my house paid up like all the normal working people & have declined to play into the thieves hands. Plus, I can't buy anything else cause I'd end up paying 3 times more in up to date taxes on another smalller home when I lose my 3% shelter. Yeah..I guess it's no biggie...things are simply the same as always - a real bargain hunters paradise.

Old 09-07-2006, 12:14 PM

52 posts, read 301,342 times
Default To Aj67

All I have to say to you is:
WELL SAID!!!! I agree!!!

Old 09-07-2006, 12:16 PM

363 posts, read 2,013,378 times
Originally from the Clearwater area. It, to me , is an active medium sized city, surrounded by other- active small, medium and large sized cities.A good place to live in many ways and yet, quite congested. I have heard many a gripe from family members living there today that relate to insurance troubles. It's humid. The beaches are gorgeous. In that are of the state. The season's are not too noticable. Someone else might disagree. Only my personnel evaluation. I left about a year ago and have no feelings of negativity toward FL. - Quite the contrary actually. We only choose not to return for financial reasons and weather preferences. It is a good place to live.

Old 09-07-2006, 01:09 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,349,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ67 View Post
I hate florida use to love it but now i hate it....
Not to many English speaking areas left.. just a whole lot of RUDE people
traffic sucks....
Home Prices unaffordable
Insurance well it simply a sham!
but hey its the american way...
good luck to those who take on this state...you'll need alot of xanax!
Thank You for putting out like that!!!!!!!!! I getting the hell out of dodge ASAP!

Old 09-07-2006, 01:25 PM

243 posts, read 1,093,522 times
Actually I'm beginning to hope that more move from here. That way prices will fall, and I'll be able to buy instead of rent an oceanfront condo here in paradise. Shovel some snow for me guys!

Old 09-08-2006, 12:00 AM

23 posts, read 138,481 times
Northeast Florida is still affordabe and not having the problems that South Florida experiences. I still like it - since 1988
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida