U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 12:32 PM

6,118 posts, read 3,053,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Blueberries are a NEW ENGLAND CROP.

They can't grow blueberries in the SOUTH.
Really?
Blueberries | UGA Extension

There are parts of southeastern Georgia that are major producers of blueberries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 05:18 PM

10,576 posts, read 10,788,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Blueberries are a NEW ENGLAND CROP.

They can't grow blueberries in the SOUTH.
Most idiotic thing I've read all day.

Old 12-10-2014, 11:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,336 times
I noticed a huge increase in my shopping bill once I started to shop here in Florida. I feel like I have to run to about 3 grocery stores all in one day, then the produce stand, the fish market and meat market to complete my weekly shopping. I mostly shop at Aldi's for dairy products and some produce, Walmart for everything else. I only shop at Publix or Winn Dixie if the items needed are on sale. I'm sorry, but I miss Shop Rite, Bottom Dollar and Wegmans. Shop Rite was the store I mainly shopped at, but Wegmans had the freshest produce of all.

Old 12-11-2014, 10:07 AM

9,499 posts, read 6,496,518 times
It all depends on where you shop. I VERY seldom shop at Wal-Mart for groceries, as I can get a better, fresher variety at smaller, local stores.
I shop at Publix for certain items (They always have good BOGO deals) and some produce when my favorite stores are too far.
Normally, here in Orlando, I go to Freshfield Farms for meat (can't beat their prices and quality), and I go through several ethnic stores for fruits and vegetables. They tend to buy from local growers, and in turn, have better quality at better prices. Small Local growers are more desperate to sell their product, and generally sell at much lower rates. Not to mention, their stuff has much less preservatives and pesticides, as it is not delivered in giant semi-trucks.

There are ways around dealing with high grocery food prices. You just have to avoid the huge chain stores as much as possible.

BTW, Wal-Mart grocery prices are a far cry from being the cheapest. For the most part, as far as meats and fruits/veggies go, I find better deals at Publix.

Old 12-11-2014, 10:29 AM

Location: Westchester County, NY -> Pinellas County, FL -> Dutchess County, NY -> Denver?
348 posts, read 355,498 times
No. We shop at Whole Foods, Trader Joe's and Aldi. We buy organic and only organic with few exceptions. I hardly ever shop at Walmart but you can find nice organic selection at very reasonable prices.

We went to Publix twice and they are expensive and have high prices.

Old 12-11-2014, 10:34 AM

9,499 posts, read 6,496,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iching View Post
No. We shop at Whole Foods, Trader Joe's and Aldi. We buy organic and only organic with few exceptions. I hardly ever shop at Walmart but you can find nice organic selection at very reasonable prices.

We went to Publix twice and they are expensive and have high prices.
I think people just need to learn the "art" of grocery shopping. You don't just buy ALL of your food in one store. Different stores have different specialties.
I have several favorites for different types of groceries. You don't have to visit them all in one day, either. Smart shopping means learning how to space out your visits to different places, and knowing what you're going to buy, and which store has the best to offer.

Speaking of Publix, people generally like the store because of its cleanliness, staff, freshness, and awesome BOGO deals... They routinely have amazing BOGOs on 100% first-pressed Olive Oil (most olive oils out there are blends. 100% first-press is very expensive), decent wines, boxed foods (i.e., crackers, juices, etc.) that you just won't find anywhere else.

Old 12-11-2014, 04:39 PM

1,603 posts, read 1,050,655 times
The difference between shopping exclusively at Publix and selectively at Publix can add up to a significant amount throughout the year. In my wife and I's case, the savings is approximately $3,000 annually for just the two of us. I do appreciate the store's cleanliness and staff quality, though those are things I think most people should expect anyway. I was probably spoiled where I moved from, as the chains in the area were always on par or better than Publix at lesser prices. One particular chain even had medical clinics available to the public, offered babysitting for single-parent shoppers, and had digital item locators built into the shopping carts.

Old 12-12-2014, 06:55 AM

10,604 posts, read 14,123,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
Really?
Blueberries | UGA Extension

There are parts of southeastern Georgia that are major producers of blueberries.
Good catch; I was thinking cranberries but typed blueberries.

Old 12-12-2014, 08:11 AM

15,109 posts, read 30,995,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I think people just need to learn the "art" of grocery shopping. You don't just buy ALL of your food in one store. Different stores have different specialties.
I have several favorites for different types of groceries. You don't have to visit them all in one day, either. Smart shopping means learning how to space out your visits to different places, and knowing what you're going to buy, and which store has the best to offer.

Speaking of Publix, people generally like the store because of its cleanliness, staff, freshness, and awesome BOGO deals... They routinely have amazing BOGOs on 100% first-pressed Olive Oil (most olive oils out there are blends. 100% first-press is very expensive), decent wines, boxed foods (i.e., crackers, juices, etc.) that you just won't find anywhere else.
Yup, that is exactly what I do. I shop at several stores, and not all on the same day. Publix is my "go-to" when I don't feel like doing a lot of shopping that week, because it is close and it will have everything. Otherwise i break it up among several stores. I am excited about a newly expanded farmer's market store down here in Sarasota which has either recently opened or is opening soon. It is near a new ALDI that is being built. ALDI has been increasing in quality, where they now offer a full line of organics, including grass-fed ground beef at the cheapest price I have seen. They offer organic produce very cheap, also.

Old 12-12-2014, 01:30 PM

2,495 posts, read 6,363,684 times
I have home in and in North FL.We spent several months in Ct this past summer and I can say not a nickels difference between Lake City and CT.
Wellborn FL has Blueberry festival each year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or