Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 10:07 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,320,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
I was just in Mass 2 weeks ago at Market Basket. 3 cutlets of chicken were $6.. In Naples 3 cutlets I've seen over $9.00 in Publix. The other day a little 4 oz pkg of blueberries was $4.99 in Publix. I've bought them roadside in New England for .99 cents a basket.
I got a pound of blueberries in Sam's for <$8.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 06:33 AM

390 posts, read 608,992 times
Food is definitely more expensive in Florida than in the Northeast. But if you compare food prices to major cities, of course it skews the results. When you go out of the major cities into more rural areas, you will see the difference of prices. And Florida is definitely higher.

Old 10-14-2014, 07:01 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,124,405 times
If you had a working brain, you would have noticed that it wasnt I who took the time to do the comparisons. As far as staying on the site, you wont be missed. Enjoy your time in FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by teresagiorgio View Post
oh and to this spring person your life must be pretty sad that you spent an hour scouring ads to prove someone wrong. good job.as for public transportation there are busses running constantly back and forth along rt 25, 347,25a ie, every other main artery and then smaller buses running north and south connecting them ! there are also door to door buses available for 3$ for anyone disabled. how about people spending more time offering positive suggestions and alternatives as opposed to "spending an hour to prove you wrong". dont think ill waste any more valuable time on this site. thanks again to the few who offered positive suggestions

Old 10-14-2014, 07:30 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teresagiorgio View Post
thanks for the responses especially the person who actually answered my question and gave the suggestion for alternative markets such as Trader Joes and Earth Origins. yes I think the lack of competition IS the reason for the high food prices and lesser quality. Even at the local farmers market where they sold small store stickered peaches 12/$10! last I checked a fair price was .99/lb-1.49 lb

you have to check Stop and Shop sales circular as opposed to regularly priced items or online purchasing including Peapod. also Im not sure but prices may vary from zip code to zip code.I would never have nor would pay .89 for a lemon! 3\1.00 yes. Also spoke with my ex neighbor last week about their bbq event and she paid $1.99 for country style ribs and $1.99 for chicken thighs, corn on the cob 6/$2.00, seedless grapes $1.49 lb and a whole personal size watermelon for $3.00 with a $25 purchase.
Also I researched the heck out of the area before moving but didnt cross my mind that I needed to check supermarket prices on chopmeat and produce before I willy nilly on a whim decided to uproot my family to lie in the sun as someone ridiculously and critically proposed.i anticipated variable food prices but somehow it just didnt cross my mind that the chains here might be that out of sync and willing to rape the community.
As for doers and complainers as another touted:they offered zero suggestions . btw ive been here for two months, am already registered to vote and volunteer for a local non profit having personally raised over $2000.00 to feed local families in my county who cant afford the $5 lb chpmeat that they have to work an hour if they can find work at all, to pay for that and an .89 lemon
I'm not sure where in FL you moved to, but I think it depends on the city/town/region, as to the shopping options and prices. We live in Sarasota/Manatee and we have a wealth of shopping options, and I shop at many different places. I have not lived in the north, but most I know here think prices are comparable with the exception of a few things perhaps. ALDI and Trader Joe's are mainstays of my shopping, and there are private farmer's markets with local goods also. There is also the very cheap Bravo store which caters to Latino population, and Sav-a-Lot (Idon't shop those, but they are cheap) So, plenty of options. Check to see if those are available where you are. Publix and Whole Foods are the most expensive of all of them.

Old 10-15-2014, 06:31 AM

27,200 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida or Bust.... View Post
Food is definitely more expensive in Florida than in the Northeast. But if you compare food prices to major cities, of course it skews the results. When you go out of the major cities into more rural areas, you will see the difference of prices. And Florida is definitely higher.
Exactly, with the reason being competition drives down prices and for those who get the concept it's fairly simplistic. Transportation logistics also play into the matter since Florida is a peninsula/dead-end largely for truck freight versus other areas of the country. A premium is paid for delivery minus a return of freight as the freight company needs to recoup payroll/fuel costs on the return trip, and that premium is passed onto the consumer here. Produce is one shining example as Florida does not produce sufficient quantity for major grocers which leads to costly importation of "fresh produce" from California, Canada and South America.

Old 10-15-2014, 08:57 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,892,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
I was just in Mass 2 weeks ago at Market Basket. 3 cutlets of chicken were $6.. In Naples 3 cutlets I've seen over $9.00 in Publix. The other day a little 4 oz pkg of blueberries was $4.99 in Publix. I've bought them roadside in New England for .99 cents a basket.
Sigh. A pint in Winn Dixie is 2.99 this week. Right in the circular.

Blueberries are a NEW ENGLAND CROP.

They can't grow blueberries in the SOUTH.

Climate for Blueberry Plants | Home Guides | SF Gate

What do you mean "three cutlets"? I've NEVER seen just THREE tiny "cutlets" in one package. LOL nobody chops by price per "3 cutlets". There are two or three different CUTS of chicken that can be called cutlets some thinner and more $ than others. Do you mean BONELESS BREASTS? They are $2.25 this week at Winn Dixie. I think everybody knows the true "cutlet" is the most expensive chicken you can buy and if you are PRICE SHOPPING you're going to buy a boneless breast and just slice it if the price is a big problem. But NO, I do not believe that the two stores were so radically different on three tiny cutlets unless one was on SALE and cutlets are not usually a sale item.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teresagiorgio
thanks for the responses especially the person who actually answered my question and gave the suggestion for alternative markets such as Trader Joes and Earth Origins. yes I think the lack of competition IS the reason for the high food prices and lesser quality. Even at the local farmers market where they sold small store stickered peaches 12/$10! last I checked a fair price was .99/lb-1.49 lb

you have to check Stop and Shop sales circular as opposed to regularly priced items or online purchasing including Peapod. also Im not sure but prices may vary from zip code to zip code.I would never have nor would pay .89 for a lemon! 3\1.00 yes. Also spoke with my ex neighbor last week about their bbq event and she paid $1.99 for country style ribs and $1.99 for chicken thighs, corn on the cob 6/$2.00, seedless grapes $1.49 lb[ and a whole personal size watermelon for $3.00 with a $25 purchase.

teresagiorgio oh and to this spring person your life must be pretty sad that you spent an hour scouring ads to prove someone wrong.
It was ME not the spring person. I was NOT looking at regular "online prices" whatever that means. I SAID I LOOKED AT YOUR SALE CIRCULAR FROM THE EXACT STORE YOU MENTIONED IN YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD.

You said:

check out sale flyers for Stop n Shop, Pathmark, and BEST foods to verify my prices if youre interested.

So I did.

So NOW I have to find "Stop and Shop" to cross reference even though I looked at one YOU CLAIMED was half the price - BEST markets? Uh, no, not today.

The weekly circular for GIANT up NORTH in PA, has seedless grapes for 2.00 per lb WITH the loyalty card. This week circular here at Winn Dixie has them CHEAPER THAN YOUR STORE THAT YOU QUOTED THE PRICE OF 1.49...at $1.44 per lb, and thighs for 1.49 - WHICH IS CHEAPER THAN THE PRICE YOU MENTIONED 1.99. http://winndixie.mywebgrocer.com/Cir...22&uc=30D17119

This week at Publix they're 2.49.

Really, all this complaining over NOTHING.

Nobody is RAPING consumers in FL.

And I noticed you didn't say a WORD about the fact that my research proved you WRONG. Except to make excuses that I was somehow looking at the wrong thing or zip code. ZIP CODE? No I looked at YOUR TOWN that YOU SAID. But you just posted other PRICES of NEW stuff!

And you were STILL WRONG LOL

Your claims are simply exaggerated and unfounded. A lot of vitriol over nothing. I suspect you're just not happy you moved here "just to sit out in the sun".

Last edited by runswithscissors; 10-15-2014 at 09:38 AM..

Old 10-15-2014, 09:24 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,892,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida or Bust.... View Post
My comparisons were done by the woman's OWN store in her OWN neighborhood flyer that she claimed were half the price of "Florida".

NOT a "major city" even though it was Long Island. In fact it was a little mom and pop looking store with pretty good prices even though you can't see the quality on the internet.

And when I just compared her NEW rant of OTHER foods' quoted prices to HERE, OURS were still cheaper.

And when I just compared random GRAPES ON SALE in the flyer ...with another NORTHERN CHAIN - GIANT - they were cheaper HERE. By .50 per lb.

There is NO appreciable difference overall in the prices. Price shopping is price shopping. And some regions will have differences but not at the EXAGGERATED LEVELS claimed here.

PLUS, many foods are SEASONAL especially berries.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 10-15-2014 at 09:36 AM..

Old 10-15-2014, 10:11 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,124,405 times
The only problem I find with your post is about Blueberries. We pick them right off the bush every year in Brooksville. U Pick Strawberries and Blueberries at JG Ranch in Brooksville, Florida

We also have an annual Blueberry Festival in Brooksville.

https://www.floridablueberryfestival.org/

They never admit they were wrong. Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post

What do you mean "three cutlets"? I've NEVER seen just THREE tiny "cutlets" in one package. LOL nobody chops by price per "3 cutlets". There are two or three different CUTS of chicken that can be called cutlets some thinner and more $ than others. Do you mean BONELESS BREASTS? They are $2.25 this week at Winn Dixie. I think everybody knows the true "cutlet" is the most expensive chicken you can buy and if you are PRICE SHOPPING you're going to buy a boneless breast and just slice it if the price is a big problem. But NO, I do not believe that the two stores were so radically different on three tiny cutlets unless one was on SALE and cutlets are not usually a sale item.

It was ME not the spring person. I was NOT looking at regular "online prices" whatever that means. I SAID I LOOKED AT YOUR SALE CIRCULAR FROM THE EXACT STORE YOU MENTIONED IN YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD.

You said:

check out sale flyers for Stop n Shop, Pathmark, and BEST foods to verify my prices if youre interested.

So I did.

So NOW I have to find "Stop and Shop" to cross reference even though I looked at one YOU CLAIMED was half the price - BEST markets? Uh, no, not today.

The weekly circular for GIANT up NORTH in PA, has seedless grapes for 2.00 per lb WITH the loyalty card. This week circular here at Winn Dixie has them CHEAPER THAN YOUR STORE THAT YOU QUOTED THE PRICE OF 1.49...at $1.44 per lb, and thighs for 1.49 - WHICH IS CHEAPER THAN THE PRICE YOU MENTIONED 1.99. http://winndixie.mywebgrocer.com/Cir...22&uc=30D17119

And I noticed you didn't say a WORD about the fact that my research proved you WRONG. Except to make excuses that I was somehow looking at the wrong thing or zip code. ZIP CODE? No I looked at YOUR TOWN that YOU SAID. But you just posted other PRICES of NEW stuff!

Your claims are simply exaggerated and unfounded. A lot of vitriol over nothing. I suspect you're just not happy you moved here "just to sit out in the sun".

Old 10-15-2014, 02:59 PM

390 posts, read 608,992 times
Quote:
My comparisons were done by the woman's OWN store in her OWN neighborhood flyer that she claimed were half the price of "Florida".

NOT a "major city" even though it was Long Island. In fact it was a little mom and pop looking store with pretty good prices even though you can't see the quality on the internet.

And when I just compared her NEW rant of OTHER foods' quoted prices to HERE, OURS were still cheaper.

And when I just compared random GRAPES ON SALE in the flyer ...with another NORTHERN CHAIN - GIANT - they were cheaper HERE. By .50 per lb.

There is NO appreciable difference overall in the prices. Price shopping is price shopping. And some regions will have differences but not at the EXAGGERATED LEVELS claimed here.

PLUS, many foods are SEASONAL especially berries.
You are confusing the NYC areas with the rest of New York State. The food prices in the 5 Boroughs along with Long Island are expensive. Go inland and you will notice the cheaper prices for the same thing. Those prices are lower than Florida.

Just because someone says they are from New York, does not mean its the city and the suburbs. There is a whole frontier land of New Yorkers that live in the state. And many people who live in NY state move to Florida. Its not just people from the city.

Last edited by Florida or Bust....; 10-15-2014 at 03:54 PM..

Old 10-15-2014, 04:55 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,961,204 times
Quote:

You said:

So I did.

I ment breasts, a package of 3 breasts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida