U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 03:39 PM

13,572 posts, read 9,255,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Maybe because you are by the water and are able to enjoy those outdoor activities? Most people don't get to do that on a daily basis, and plenty of people live inland as well. Florida is great for retired folks, I will give the state that. What you described about New Orleans is pretty much how hot it is in FL...except for a longer period of time.
I am on the gulf and it don't help at all where i live. That nasty west wind almost all summer coming over 90 degree water temps makes it feel like a steam bath.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2016, 04:08 PM

2,962 posts, read 2,115,137 times
With nowhere in Florida are you more than 50 miles from a beach, it's much easier to beat the heat in Florida than Phoenix. Florida is more tropical. Phoenix is in a desert. I got dehydrated in Bullhead City one early morning in May of 1998 I believe it was, while out jogging. It was not even hot outside. It was maybe 78 to 82, and still before 9am. I never experienced anything like that before. It didn't hit me until I was in the elevator on way back to the room. Felt like I was gonna pass out. Soon as I got some water in me, I immediately sweated it out. I kept drinking the water and I kept sweating it out. In the shower I was sweating. I got out of the shower and went and laid down and got some much needed rest. After a couple of hours I felt back to normal. That experience was enough for me to know I would not want to live in a SW desert type of climate.

Old 04-04-2016, 04:01 PM

6,014 posts, read 3,350,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Grass grows especially when it rains ?
There are mosquitoes and lizards ?
And all of this only in Florida ?
Who'da thunk it ?
Umm yep. Just like it snows up north. Each place has it's territorial elements. Lots of people come from up north to Florida because they want to avoid snow. Not me. I want to avoid year round humidity and pests. I saw my first lizard yesterday when I picked up a rock outside, working on the garden. Scared the bajeezus outta me! I have a horrible phobia of the little critters and that's one problem Florida has for me. Not only is it really hot for a really long time, but that also brings the animals I don't like to deal with. Hardly seen any roaches up here, lizards very seldom. Mosquitoes are still a problem but for a much shorter window of time.

I'm actually not bothered by snakes, but a little gecko has me screaming like a school girl!

Old 04-15-2016, 05:31 AM

3,635 posts, read 1,991,578 times
It's just great to be able to turn off the A/C at night and sleep with just a ceiling fan gently whirring away.
One of the added benefits is waking up to the sound of the dawn chorus chirping away.
Great weather at the moment.

Old Today, 08:04 AM

79 posts, read 150,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalobirdie View Post
We moved to Denver after living in Florida for 24 years. To me, Denver weather is just about as perfect as it gets, if you like 4 seasons. You get lots of sun, but lots of over cast days too to balance it out. Winters are very mild with just a handful of wicked snow storms each year. Everyone seems to always think Denver is like Minnesota with constant snow and biting cold and it just isn't true. I think the perception has to do with the fact that we are near the Rocky mountains which of course has more consistent and dramatic snow cover. But in Denver, the snow melts almost the next day and it can be beautiful temps right away. The only issue I have is that we don't have much of a spring because March and April and even May ushers in the worst snow days and can ruin the buds and fresh limbs which stinks. All told, you are looking at probably only 10-15 days of bad weather each year. Seriously. The rest of the time it is just lovely. The temperatures in Denver for the most part are wonderful. Not too cold, not too hot. Dry air just feels better. Even 100 degree days here are not too bad if you can find a spot in the shade.
**June 2019 Update**

Ok. I'm tired of Colorado. It's simply too cold for too many months of the year. Too dry. So, so DRY. Plus we've never really found our groove. The people here are really kind of weird. We've met some nice people, but for the most part, the people are oddly uptight and not particularly fun. Looking forward to moving back to Florida. Florida certainly has crazies, but the people are more relaxed, down-to-earth and nice.

Old Today, 11:52 AM

4,791 posts, read 5,329,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalobirdie View Post
Florida people are more relaxed, down-to-earth and nice.
What area of Florida are you referring to?

Old Today, 12:05 PM

17,456 posts, read 10,534,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
What area of Florida are you referring to?
They are where I live on the East Coast.

Old Today, 04:46 PM

79 posts, read 150,244 times
Tampa :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or