Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 12:03 PM

10 posts, read 20,665 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I currently live in Panama City, Florida. We moved here 15 months ago from Chambersburg, PA. Even though I was born and raised in the South, I feel like family life in general was better in PA. Seems like families spent more time together.

Anyone else have this same opinion? Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 12:14 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Hard to critique individual social dynamics but Florida does have a very transient population with every one coming from everywhere or people just down for vacation..You might have to be there a bit longer than a year and a half before longterm relationships become entrenched..

Old 07-25-2011, 12:16 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,119,787 times
My experience has been that no new town feels like home until you have been there 3 - 4 years. Typically, in that time frame you are able to establish some good friends that you have things in common with.

Old 07-25-2011, 01:11 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,301,360 times
The OP mentioned families so it tells me they do not have any family members in the area.

Having just moved to Florida we are in constant contact with family members in Ohio.

We have a couple large groups of them who are coming down over the next few months and one family group is making plans to move here. We knew we would not be around family here so we had planned for them to visit whenever they wanted and had a place to stay.

Jambo is correct, the transient population seems like nothing ever stays the same so it is nothing like Pa or Oh, where you see people living in the same home for 25-30 years everywhere.

Old 07-25-2011, 03:02 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
Florida's a big state, and I'd probably put Panama City pretty far down the family-friendly list even within the state of Florida.

Old 07-25-2011, 03:04 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,420,553 times
PA is far superior to FL in this area... especially compared to a place like Panama City.

Old 07-25-2011, 03:38 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
The OP is asking a question that is very subjective. Also, you can't even compare one city in PA to another city in PA. It's a big state!

In general, Florida is more transient and has a much older population than most states. Many people who own homes in coastal areas only live in FL part of the year.

However, I think we've been losing our sense of community across the U.S. for a long time, and I'm not just talking about Florida.

Old 07-25-2011, 04:04 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Both are rather large states! I think it's difficult to make a comparison. I have never been to Panama City, but I have heard quite a bit about it.
To mention a few areas in FL that I have visited (and in once case have relatives there) Boca Raton, St. Augustine and Orlando are nothing like each other - or like what I have heard about Panama City.

But in general, for the middle class at least, Florida tends to be very suburban with no down town or urban centers. So there is a lot of sprawl. I am originally from Long Island NY and there was very little community there either.Everything was spread out. We never spoke to our neighbors. Evey one entered their homes through the garage and no one walked - unless they had head phones and a pedometer on!

We moved to PA and we find it to be a lot more friendly! We have only been here since November and we have friends and so do our children. People really go out of there way to be friendly!
But we are thinking of getting a place somewhere in a warmer clime because the winter's can be brutal! But PA will always be our home base!

Old 07-25-2011, 05:48 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
But in general, for the middle class at least, Florida tends to be very suburban with no down town or urban centers. So there is a lot of sprawl.
So true. I often think of leaving, but I'm concerned about the cold weather. When I lived in NH, my aching body couldn't handle the winter months. There's always a way to meet people in Florida, however. You just need to try a little harder!

Old 07-25-2011, 07:46 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Not a fan of cold weather either. My favorite scenario would be to spend the "worst" winter months -or most of them, in Florida or South Carolina. The worst months for me are January - through early March.
I enjoy December and the early gentle snowfalls and crisp air. I like a White Christmas.
But by February I have had it!

Spring and Autumn are beautiful in New England and PA. Summer is usually nice but this year it is way too hot.

Back to the topic - I think that there are aspects of the suburban lifestyle (as opposed to small town, city, or urban that tend to increase isolation - or at least the perception of it. I think this is true not only in Florida, but in many strictly suburban areas.

Homes in suburbia are generally built with prominent attached garages. Front porches are almost non -existant, and when they are suburbanites tend to use the back yard! There is no down town area.
Right now if I were to take a walk to Public Square, a small park in down town Wilkes-Barre, I would more than likely meet some one new or run into a friend or an acquaintance
We live in a front porch town where people walk their dogs at night, and often stop to chat.
Because our homes are closer we chat more and possibilities for interaction increase.

An example : around July 4th our neighbor noticed that we were having trouble starting our grill.
He tried to help us out but was unable.
The next day my son noticed that the grill looked different. Indeed our neighbor took it upon himself to repair it, purchase the part that was needed and clean it thoroughly! This was not an isolated experience! But we are just not used to such kindness.

Personally, I wish that I left Long Island earlier - but I am glad that I have an open invitation in Boca! .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida