U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-13-2006, 09:00 PM

3 posts, read 28,319 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys I Lived in NY my whole Life and im thinking of moving to FLorida to start my life and go to medical SchoOl. BUt i want to avoid Hurricanes as much as possible, but i want to be around Orlando bbecause my sister lives there Or Miami cuz i also have some family there... Where would be a Good place to live to not get hit badly by hurricanes and is also not to expensive, and with Jobs.. Thanxxx for the Help
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2006, 07:49 AM

495 posts, read 1,538,308 times
Jacksonville is the safest part of Florida for Hurricanes. There are also a lot of jobs and housing is reasonable. Like any place, there are parts of town to avoid living in.

Hurricanes dont strike North Florida directly often. The last hurricane to do any real damage to the area was Dora in 1964

Gainesville/Ocala area is real nice. The Univ of Florida is at Gainesville. Lots of fun things to do there. Lots of small quaint small towns around that area too within commuting distance to Gainesville. Gainesville is really cosmopolitan for a small town. Orlando is nicer for hurricanes but is really bad for traffic and big city problems I hear.

High risk of hurricanes in Miami and the Florida panhandle

Old 03-14-2006, 10:32 PM

3 posts, read 28,319 times
OK Thannx So mUCh For the advice i really needed it

Old 03-28-2006, 10:27 AM

6 posts, read 85,944 times
Default miami

you'll love miami it has lots of medical schools and you are close to the ocean

Old 03-30-2006, 03:55 AM

121 posts, read 535,441 times
Default Fl

The best medical school is in Gainesville. The least struck area for hurricanes is the NE quadrant of FL. Fewer major hurricanes have hit this area since 1900 than New York City- believe it or not!

Jobs are pretty lousy in FL relative to the NE. You can live cheaply in Gainesville, lots of students and supportive/liberal community. Bike and public transportation friendly which is very very rare in FL.

Bill

Old 03-30-2006, 08:17 AM

12 posts, read 47,594 times
Default Best Advice

Well, I have to tell you that no matter where you live in Florida you may get hit by a hurricane sooner or later. But Florida is still a great place to live! I would never move back to a cold climate area! I mean at least you are warned about a hurricane! The only problem with Miami, the Keys is that it takes too long to evacuate and the population is so big. Losing power can also be a bummer. Bottom line is only buy/live in a home that is built to code. So any home that has been built within the last five years would give you more peace of mind.
I would advise anyone who is from NY to still live close to a major city in Florida like Orlando, Jacksonville, Tampa, etc. Because the smaller towns may bore you, but its also the best places to live peacefully. Good Luck!

Old 06-07-2006, 03:28 PM

5 posts, read 21,978 times
Default relocating to Florida

family of 4 looking to relocate to florida in 6 months from pennsylvania and wanted to know more about the fort lauderdale fort myers area and which is the best, safest cities in florida please anyone with some info. and which cities to completely avoid especially.

Old 06-07-2006, 04:23 PM

2,227 posts, read 5,878,829 times
jacksonville is a big city, and also one of the safest for it's size. reasonable home prices and lots to do. close to jax bch and st augustine. northern fla is also the least likely place in fla to get hit by a hurricane.

northern fla is very diverse, as is the entire state. b/w fort lauderdale and ft myers, that's a tough pick. both = expensive, higher than avg crime. i would suggest two totally different areas (if you dont mind me suggesting).

1. vero bch/ martin co/northern palm bch co. (palm bch gardens, jupiter areas --- but need lots of money)
2. northern fla (lots of options)
3. melbourne area (beachy)
4. east orlando/seminole county (oviedo, winter springs are great!!! lots of trees and pretty homes)
5. panhandle (quiet and beachy, affordable too!)
6. central fla (around ocala, gainesville area; live in the country w/ city conveniences!!!)

the list goes on and on, but i would say ft myers and ft lauderdale you have to be pretty choosy... it's kind of a hit and miss situation... what i mean is, in ft lauderdale, you can buy a house in an area that is decent, but has high crime areas, or you could live in a decent area that is very safe and ppl dont even lock thier car doors. you just have to ask around and seperate the good from the not so good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida