U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 09:07 AM

5,311 posts, read 8,123,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by $musicman$ View Post
Ditto
So, look at it this way. If you work for a publicly traded company, would you feel it was ok for the company to publish to all the stock holders a list of every employee's total compensation? Remember, once it is published, it will be available to everyone.

Or, let's say you are a professional musician. If I pay to watch you perform, does that entitle me to have a look at your tax return?

Investors and taxpayers are entitled to see where and how their money is spent so they can be sure it is not being wasted...no doubt. And, obviously, if you are in a singular position (i.e. CEO) people will know what you earn because the line that shows that the CEO earns x dollars will point to you. But, individuals not in singular positions should also have a right to privacy that will not interefere with the dissemination of information regarding spending in a general way. Put another way, there should be a balance between the public's right to know and the individual's right to privacy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 10:52 AM

3,568 posts, read 3,269,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Here in Ontario Canada, all public employees who make over $100.000 a year are published. I don't think that's unfair, it comes with the territory of being a highly paid public servant.
All the rest of the salaries are confidential as they should be.
I see the Canadians apply class warfare even to their employees. Nice!

Old 08-03-2011, 02:27 PM

4,224 posts, read 5,675,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
When you work for the general public then they are paying your salary. The general public has every right to know what you make. I fail to see how you are outraged by this.
Playing devil's advocate, since I pay my doctor's, mechanic's, dentist's, dude who owns my favorite restaurant etc salary, do I have a RIGHT to know how much they make?

Old 08-03-2011, 04:18 PM

4,337 posts, read 6,026,640 times
These are tough times economically and printing public servants' salaries is newsworthy because it fans hatred. People love to hate other people who they think have it better than themselves. In better economical times public servants are scorned. The pendulum swings.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:03 PM

2,602 posts, read 7,181,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
Playing devil's advocate, since I pay my doctor's, mechanic's, dentist's, dude who owns my favorite restaurant etc salary, do I have a RIGHT to know how much they make?
Those are private businesses. They can disclose however much they want (or don't want) to.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:08 PM

2,859 posts, read 1,980,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
These are tough times economically and printing public servants' salaries is newsworthy because it fans hatred. People love to hate other people who they think have it better than themselves. In better economical times public servants are scorned. The pendulum swings.
I think this sums it up well. The firefighter making enough to afford a decent place to live and maybe afford a meal out every now and then? Scandalous!
And it's unbelievable and inexcusable that the civil engineer (who makes sure the bridges people drive over are repaired properly) with a professional degree making a professional salary, maybe even over $40,000!!!!!. And, I will try to contain myself but whew!! this is just unbelievable... I am just in shock over the health inspector making a whopping $31,000 a year to make sure the restaurants we eat in don't make us have to be carted out in the ambulance driven by someone making.... sit down for this one....$26,000 a year. Wow! Someone is getting filthy rich I tell ya. Just for driving a roaring box!

I appreciate the public servants on this forum who have, with great humility, stated that they work for the taxpayers and have no problem with being open about their salaries, and that they are working to do an honest and fair day's work for the public, despite the pettiness of such an article.

While the newspaper may have technically had a legal right to publish the salary of each and every public employee, I think these stories show some desperation on the part of the newspaper and are a pathetic attempt to sensationalize something out of nothing. Incidentally, the newspaper business isn't exactly in the best shape anywhere, and this seems like a pretty lame attempt to manufacture a controversy to sell papers unless there is some outrageous public corruption situation like that of Bell, California, where public employees are paid an exorbitant salary above and beyond the market rate. So perhaps some news outlets are struggling for a reason, based on the quality of their reporting, and it's not a bad thing that some of them are going under if this is the best "in depth analysis" they can offer. Just because something is legal doesn't equate to it being ethical or appropriate to publish, especially on an individual-person level. It's good that at least some people are seeing this, and remain the better person (as the targeted individual) for taking it in stride.

Last edited by Jowel; 08-03-2011 at 08:38 PM..

Old 08-03-2011, 08:23 PM

11,636 posts, read 20,378,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
No in those cases you agree to pay them a specific amount for a specific service. The amount coming out of your pocket is known in advance and you either agree to it, or not. What these people make off of others is a function of what others agree to pay them and has nothing to do with you.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:12 PM

3,378 posts, read 7,867,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
It is not different. Why should a taxpayer have to dig out that information? They should have full access to the information. The MONEY is all that is important to the taxpayer. If a job can be done for $10 I want it done for $10. I really, truly don't care why the government paid $20, I want it done for $10.

Completely agree. This is one of the reasons why people advocate privatizing government. It's a fact that the private sector makes things run more efficiently than the private sector. Don't believe me? USPS loses money. FedEx and UPS makes a profit.

In Alaska you can go to privately owned establishments to renew your tags or register vehicles. No lines and you only pay $10 extra. I always went to the private establishments.

Somebody owns the private business, the invested in it. They want a return on their money. Public ran facilities have little to answer to and have no reason to show that they are being efficient. So what does that mean? DMV (government ran) personnel earns the same amount as the personnel at the private company but does not have the same benefits. The private company has TECHNOLOGY which requires 1/3 of the staff to get the same job done.

Old 08-04-2011, 02:48 AM

973 posts, read 1,485,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
I think this sums it up well. The firefighter making enough to afford a decent place to live and maybe afford a meal out every now and then? Scandalous!
And it's unbelievable and inexcusable that the civil engineer (who makes sure the bridges people drive over are repaired properly) with a professional degree making a professional salary, maybe even over $40,000!!!!!. And, I will try to contain myself but whew!! this is just unbelievable... I am just in shock over the health inspector making a whopping $31,000 a year to make sure the restaurants we eat in don't make us have to be carted out in the ambulance driven by someone making.... sit down for this one....$26,000 a year. Wow! Someone is getting filthy rich I tell ya. Just for driving a roaring box!

I appreciate the public servants on this forum who have, with great humility, stated that they work for the taxpayers and have no problem with being open about their salaries, and that they are working to do an honest and fair day's work for the public, despite the pettiness of such an article.

While the newspaper may have technically had a legal right to publish the salary of each and every public employee, I think these stories show some desperation on the part of the newspaper and are a pathetic attempt to sensationalize something out of nothing. Incidentally, the newspaper business isn't exactly in the best shape anywhere, and this seems like a pretty lame attempt to manufacture a controversy to sell papers unless there is some outrageous public corruption situation like that of Bell, California, where public employees are paid an exorbitant salary above and beyond the market rate. So perhaps some news outlets are struggling for a reason, based on the quality of their reporting, and it's not a bad thing that some of them are going under if this is the best "in depth analysis" they can offer. Just because something is legal doesn't equate to it being ethical or appropriate to publish, especially on an individual-person level. It's good that at least some people are seeing this, and remain the better person (as the targeted individual) for taking it in stride.
Thank you for such an euridite post. You are totally correct about this being "unethical" and that was the word I was looking for! It was done to sell newspapers and cause problems as that is what the reporter is known for. It is not that these salaries are secret, but to just "throw them out there" with no explanations about each person is being unfair to those on the list, and these others just donot get it, for all they see are the dollar amounts. One person tried suing the state a long time ago, but lost. TO me there is a difference in knowing what a teacher would make at so many years in my county than actually posting the name and the dollar amount.

But, this too shall pass, as there will be other "news" out there that will replace this.

And what is weird, is when I went to research this, I found THIS post! Glad I am only working one more year! But then, too, I have read our retirement is posted as well...I wonder if the cost of my cremation will be online too, when the time comes!!!!

Old 08-04-2011, 05:04 AM

4,337 posts, read 6,026,640 times
I'm so sick of 'class warfare' fanned by misleading headlines written for the purpose of causing incitement! I don't care about anyone's salary, just don't take away any of mine! Thank you, hard working public servants everywhere for keeping us safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or