U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-09-2011, 08:31 AM
 
817 posts, read 1,920,850 times
Reputation: 993

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
Of the top 25 areas for AIDS, southern, bible belt cities account for 48% of them.

I'm not sure how you can possibly state that is wrong. It's in front of you just as it is me.

If you're trying to say these areas acquired their AIDS carrying citizens from Africa, or the Caribbean, I'm sorry, but you're wrong. The population from those areas living in these places is very small.

If you're offended by the 48% fact, then it should simply be a wake up call to become more active in your community and encourage comprehensive sexual education for all, especially middle and high school students before they become sexually active. You can be part of the group that breaks the cycle.
The areas in the south that you talk about also have high populations of black people. Black people have higher than average HIV rates. That might be part of the explanation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-09-2011, 09:16 AM
 
Location: Eastwood, Orlando FL
1,260 posts, read 1,417,994 times
Reputation: 1409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post

Even if I say that, yes, 12 of those cities are within the bible belt, it does not take away from the fact that the VAST majority of HIV/AIDS cases are in men that have sex with men, a CDC term since they cover all bases with it, intravenous drug users and immigrants.

?
Where, IN the USA? Because worldwide more women are living with AIDS then men
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2011, 11:30 AM
 
817 posts, read 1,920,850 times
Reputation: 993
In the US, men, specifically homosexual men and men that use IV drugs, make up the overwhelming number of cases.

Basic Statistics | Statistics and Surveillance | Topics | CDC HIV/AIDS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2011, 04:18 PM
 
Location: Hernando County, FL
8,488 posts, read 17,903,835 times
Reputation: 5397
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyMominRI View Post
Where, IN the USA? Because worldwide more women are living with AIDS then men
United States Statistics by Transmission Route and Gender

Quote:
CDC statistics show that in 2008, 73% of persons living with a diagnosis of HIV infection were male adults or adolescents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2011, 09:52 PM
 
3,849 posts, read 7,868,409 times
Reputation: 1990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
First off, the term bible belt was first used in the 1920's, the entire south has changed dramatically since then but you are obviously someone who thinks they are going to see preachers on every corner of every city in the south.

Even if I say that, yes, 12 of those cities are within the bible belt, it does not take away from the fact that the VAST majority of HIV/AIDS cases are in men that have sex with men, a CDC term since they cover all bases with it, intravenous drug users and immigrants.

Do you want to try and tell me that the men that are going to church and bible study are then going out and having sex with other men while shooting up heroin?

That would be a little strange that these people are so dead set against sex education but would be alright as homosexual drug users.

No one here said that some cases are not due to lack of sex education on the transmission of STD'S/HIV/AIDS. In fact lack of education on the subject is the reason the rate is higher in the Caribbean and Africa.

But to state the reason that the rate is higher in the south because the cities are in the bible belt is completely ludicrous. Even without the previous reasons I have mentioned, 3 of the top 5 cities ARE NOT in the bible belt and Jacksonville is hardly considered a bible belt city even if it is within the range of what many consider the region so that would make it 4 of 5, I can't comment on Baton Rouge.

Please explain why 3/4 of 5 of the top cities are there?
Has it changed?

According to the 2009 CDC study, 56% was from male to male sexual contact and 30% was from male to female sexual contact.

Unfortunately this doesn't break down the statistics as the other study has done. It does break it down by state (which the bible belt manages to stay out of) but does not include the same measurement as the other study (by population.)

As for the good church goers, we've seen far too many times the scandal that occurs with not only churches, but those that profess to be good church going people. Do you really want to go there?

I acknowledged immigration played a part in these non-bible belt cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2011, 04:23 AM
 
Location: Hernando County, FL
8,488 posts, read 17,903,835 times
Reputation: 5397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
Has it changed?

According to the 2009 CDC study, 56% was from male to male sexual contact and 30% was from male to female sexual contact.

Unfortunately this doesn't break down the statistics as the other study has done. It does break it down by state (which the bible belt manages to stay out of) but does not include the same measurement as the other study (by population.)

As for the good church goers, we've seen far too many times the scandal that occurs with not only churches, but those that profess to be good church going people. Do you really want to go there? dubious

I acknowledged immigration played a part in these non-bible belt cities.
So you don't think the south has changed since the 1920's? That then gives us a basis for your thinking..

From the 2009 CDC study we see that 69% of HIV/AIDS cases are from either male to male sexual contact or intravenous drug use, an overwhelming majority. This backs up exactly what I said in my last post.
http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/topics/survei.../riskgroup.jpg

Now of course since you have been shown to be completely wrong and that this has nothing to do with the amount of sex education in the bible belt you want to start trotting out the isolated incidents of people that claim to be church going.

If you will claim that the majority of church goers or those that claim to be church goers are participating in the type scandalous activities that you allude to then you can go ahead and go there.

@Disclaimer: I don't look at being homosexual as scandalous in anyway for those that might look at my posts and think this.

If on the other hand you realize that it is only a very small portion of the group and that the media just loves playing up stories of those that profess to be straight laced but end up being not so much, then don't go there because it does not represent the group and would be useless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2011, 07:02 AM
 
Location: Myrtle Beach
3,378 posts, read 7,874,695 times
Reputation: 2926
For those who say immigrants from countries that have high rates of AIDS does not contribute to the problem here, you're crazy.

Most of the immigrants that come to Florida have not had the following medical procedure take place. 50% - 65% reduction in the risk of catching AIDS.

Circumcision’s Anti-AIDS Effect Found Greater Than First Thought - New York Times

"Dr. Anthony S. Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, which paid for the trials, said he planned to keep saying officially that circumcision cuts a man’s risk by about half, not by 65 percent, because the validity of clinical trials depends on following randomized groups of patients, not selected ones."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2011, 10:08 AM
 
Location: The Conterminous United States
22,553 posts, read 47,262,082 times
Reputation: 13387
Quote:
Originally Posted by td1026 View Post
I wouldn't think that all of these infections occur in Florida.. especially Cape Coral/Ft Myers. I was shocked and repulsed to see my hometown on the list. It surprises me as Cape Coral is very suburban. It would be akin to Eden Prarie, MN or Peachtree City, GA on the list.
That's because it's lopped in with Fort Myers, which has a very big drug problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2011, 10:34 AM
 
21,132 posts, read 30,232,986 times
Reputation: 19487
Quote:
Originally Posted by td1026 View Post
The first number is per 1000 with the disease and the 2nd is number of cumulative cases.

1 Miami, FL 37.2 64,573
2 Baton Rouge, LA 30.6 4,565
3 Jacksonville, FL 29.1 7,292
4 New York, NY-NJ-PA 27 223,508
5 Washington, DC-VA-MD-WV 26.6 37,916
6 Columbia, SC 23.5 3,949
7 Memphis, TN-MS-AR 23.3 6,018
8 Orlando, FL 23.3 10,457
9 New Orleans-Metairie-Kenner, LA 23 9,941
10 Baltimore-Towson, MD 22.8 23,875
11 Jackson, MS 22.2 2,881
12 San Juan-Caguas-Guaynabo, PR 20 24,126
13 Lakeland, FL 18.9 2,210
14 Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta, GA 18.7 27,313
15 San Francisco, CA 18.3 44,422
16 Tampa-St Petersburg-Clearwater, FL 17.4 13,135
17 San Antonio, TX 12.3 5,892 San Diego-Carlsbad-San Marcos, CA 16 14,723
18 Charlotte-Gastonia-Concord, NC-SC 15.7 4,123
19 Houston-Baytown-Sugar Land, TX 15.1 29,556
20 Charleston-North Charleston, SC 14.4 2,423
21 Raleigh-Cary, NC 14.3 2,632
22 Nashville-Davidson-Murfreesboro, TN 13.7 4,570
23 Fresno, CA 13.5 1,829
24 Cape Coral-Fort Myers, FL 13.2 2,034
25 Columbus, OH 12.9 3,966

This is pretty scary! I've lived in 3 of these places and soon to be 4 (with Jacksonville).
Miami...About 21.7% of families and 26.3% of the population were below the poverty line.

Baton Rouge... About 18.0% of families and 24.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 31.4% of those under age 18

Jacksonville....About 9.4% of families and 12.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 16.7% of those under age 18

New York City....More than 3 million NYC residents live below 200 percent of the federal poverty level

Washington DC...A report in the year 2007 found that about one-third of District residents are functionally illiterate, compared to a national rate of about one in five.

Columbia, SC... About 17.0% of families and 22.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including 29.7% of those under the age of 18

Memphis, TN....About 17.2% of families and 20.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 30.1% of those under age 18

Orlando, FL...About 13.3% of families and 15.9% of the population were below the poverty line, including 27.0% of those under age 18

New Orleans, LA.....About 31% of the population is below the poverty line

Baltimore, MD....About 21% of population lives below poverty line


This was just the Top 10 but there's an obvious common thread...poverty and consequent lack of education for most.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2011, 08:54 AM
 
3,849 posts, read 7,868,409 times
Reputation: 1990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
From the 2009 CDC study we see that 69% of HIV/AIDS cases are from either male to male sexual contact or intravenous drug use, an overwhelming majority. This backs up exactly what I said in my last post.
http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/topics/survei.../riskgroup.jpg

Now of course since you have been shown to be completely wrong and that this has nothing to do with the amount of sex education in the bible belt you want to start trotting out the isolated incidents of people that claim to be church going.
Why are you grouping drug use and male to male contact? Those are separate cases. Why not link heterosexual HIV transmission and drug use? That's 43%.

I'm not sure how you've shown me to be completely wrong.

Let me break it down for you.

Take for example Mississippi. It is undeniably a religious stronghold. On sex education in MS:

Quote:
Mississippi schools are not required to teach sexuality education or sexually transmitted disease (STD)/HIV education. If schools choose to teach either or both forms of education, they must stress abstinence-until-marriage, including “the social, psychological, and health gains to be realized by abstaining from sexual activity, and the likely negative psychological and physical effects of not abstaining” and “that abstinence from sexual activity before marriage, and fidelity within marriage, is the only certain way to avoid out-of-wedlock pregnancy, sexually-transmitted diseases and related health problems.
SIECUS - Mississippi State Profile Fiscal Year 2009

The merits of abstinence only sex education are not glowing:

Quote:
The abstinence-only approach to sex education
is not supported by the extensive body of scien-
tific research on what works to protect young
people from HIV/AIDS, sexually transmitted in-
fections (STIs), and unplanned pregnancy. An
assessment of the peer-reviewed, published
research reveals no evidence that abstinence-
only programs delay sexual initiation or reduce
STIs or pregnancy.
(Note: PDF) http://ari.ucsf.edu/science/reports/abstinence.pdf

What groups overwhelmingly support abstinence only sex ed? If you answered "What are religious groups?" you may proceed to guest services to claim your prize.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:16 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top