U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 06:23 PM

8,964 posts, read 6,216,452 times

Advertisements

All those cities have a lot of African Americans too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 09:29 PM

3,849 posts, read 7,863,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
All those cities have a lot of African Americans too.
Does religion see colors?

Old 08-12-2011, 03:39 AM

8,488 posts, read 17,891,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
Why are you grouping drug use and male to male contact? Those are separate cases. Why not link heterosexual HIV transmission and drug use? That's 43%.

I'm not sure how you've shown me to be completely wrong. confused

Let me break it down for you.

Take for example Mississippi. It is undeniably a religious stronghold. On sex education in MS:

SIECUS - Mississippi State Profile Fiscal Year 2009

The merits of abstinence only sex education are not glowing:

(Note: PDF) http://ari.ucsf.edu/science/reports/abstinence.pdf

What groups overwhelmingly support abstinence only sex ed? If you answered "What are religious groups?" you may proceed to guest services to claim your prize. ok
I used the drug use and male to male sexual contact groups because you are claiming the bible belt and decreased sex ed in some areas is the cause of the higher HIV/AIDS and those groups, who happen to make up the vast majority of cases would be the least likely to be overly religious.

I can't believe I had to spell that out again.

On Mississippi you also left out this part.

Quote:
"Local school boards may also authorize through a majority vote “the teaching of sex education without instructions on abstinence.”
I guess it didn't mesh with what you are trying to push so you just leave it out.

And it looks like Mississippi has very similar guidelines to other states not in the bible belt.

Quote:
Schools are not required by law to provide sex education. But they must provide education on STD and HIV/AIDS prevention, including abstinence until marriage.
Quote:
Schools are not required by law to provide sex education. If it is taught, it must include information on abstinence and contraception.
Quote:
Schools are not required by law to provide sex education but if a school district chooses to offer such courses, they must teach abstinence until marriage and give information on contraception. Schools also are required to provide STD and HIV/AIDS education.
This is for 9 states, only 1 in the south
Quote:
Schools are not required by law to provide any sex education.
You keep believing that a higher percentage of religious people is the reason for higher HIV/AIDS rate then go right ahead. You have not given one bit of evidence proving that but it is your choice to be dead wrong if you want to be.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:06 AM

3,849 posts, read 7,863,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
I used the drug use and male to male sexual contact groups because you are claiming the bible belt and decreased sex ed in some areas is the cause of the higher HIV/AIDS and those groups, who happen to make up the vast majority of cases would be the least likely to be overly religious.

I can't believe I had to spell that out again.

On Mississippi you also left out this part.

I guess it didn't mesh with what you are trying to push so you just leave it out.

You keep believing that a higher percentage of religious people is the reason for higher HIV/AIDS rate then go right ahead. You have not given one bit of evidence proving that but it is your choice to be dead wrong if you want to be.
It's irrelevant when A) Not one district could be found that does not include the abstinence only program and B) The percentage of religious people in MS (otherwise known as the most religious state in the nation) would make it extraordinarily difficult to pass the removal of the abstinence education with a majority vote
Survey: Nation's 'Most Religious' Population in Mississippi, Christian News

I never said religious people were solely to blame for the south's problems. If you notice, I acknowledged immigrants play a role in it as well (as does the gay community)

The point is that as noted with MS, sex ed in the south is not strong. Look at the south's pregnancy rates and you'll note how much higher it is than the rest of the nation. The vast majority of times that means no protection was used. HIV and other STDs have the opportunity to transmit there.

The thing you refuse to admit is that the religious community and abstinence only education plays a key role in disease in the south. People are unaware of the risks associated with sexual intercourse and do not know how to protect themselves. You want to blame this solely on Haitians and gay people instead of acknowledging the problem could be helped by simply implementing comprehensive education in schools; something that would even help the gays you fear so much.

Old 08-13-2011, 07:15 PM

8,964 posts, read 6,216,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
Does religion see colors?

I'm just talking stats here, that's all.

Old 08-13-2011, 11:28 PM

381 posts, read 927,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
For those who say immigrants from countries that have high rates of AIDS does not contribute to the problem here, you're crazy.

Most of the immigrants that come to Florida have not had the following medical procedure take place. 50% - 65% reduction in the risk of catching AIDS.

Circumcision’s Anti-AIDS Effect Found Greater Than First Thought - New York Times

"Dr. Anthony S. Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, which paid for the trials, said he planned to keep saying officially that circumcision cuts a man’s risk by about half, not by 65 percent, because the validity of clinical trials depends on following randomized groups of patients, not selected ones."

Chop off their entire weenus and reduce the rate 100%!

Old 08-13-2011, 11:31 PM

381 posts, read 927,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin from Tampa View Post
Some of this is relative to metro size. Tampa/St Pete is around the 16th biggest metro in the country....makes sense that it would have the 16th most AIDS cases...

The rankings are based on # of cases per 1,000 population, so the size of the population is not relevant.
The cummulative number is just an aside.

Old 08-15-2011, 02:15 AM

14,269 posts, read 15,856,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepie2000 View Post
I've read that that Florida, especially southern Florida, has an unusually high number of senior citizens with HIV. They didn't grow up with the fear of it and don't seem to realize that it can affect them too.
That was mentioned in an article about residents of an over 55 community (The Villages) in Central Florida began getting sexually transmitted diseases like Chlamydia. I'm not sure if the media exaggerated the story, but in 2009 it was all over the news.

I'm not sure I agree that older people aren't conscious of sexually transmitted diseases, but it's true that they might not have the same fear since they didn't grow up with it. However, I can't possibly imagine that an educated person who reads a newspaper or watches TV news doesn't realize they can get a deadly disease. Just because you get old, doesn't mean you get stupid.

HIV attacks the immune system. As people age, their immune systems become weaker. So maybe a weakening immune system might be a contributing factor to the number of seniors who get AIDS. Also, many people who have unprotected sex don't get tested and it can take 10 years or longer for someone with the HIV virus to get AIDS. So maybe a lot of people who contracted HIV moved to Florida and then got sick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by td1026 View Post
The first number is per 1000 with the disease and the 2nd is number of cumulative cases.
Do you have a link?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or