Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 04:01 PM

1,109 posts, read 2,959,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
I know someone who started full time or almost full time at one of the newer stores I forget the name...Green something? You locals probably know what I mean...it's like a Whole Foods knockoff type store...Something Grocer? ha ha sorry, I dont know the name. Wellington.

She's got a raise in 3 months and got a small promotion too. Her only complaint is the stupid grocery store scheduling issue they all do. Trying to split her shifts to maximize her time there but she said she couldn't and that was that. Her favorite part is that she works in her department very very early before it gets crazy with customers lol.

A bagger retiree lady in the Publix told me they always start at entry level but I didnt ask how much. AND she may have been wrong. Alot of managers and companies lowball whoever they can. This was different than a previous 3 month job I had up North in a grocery chain where I started at top. I just asked for that rate and got it....but I was a former store owner with retail experience. I was making 12 something an hr plus differential for overnight from day one in eary 2000.
You are referring to Greenwise runwithscissors. It's a beautiful store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2008, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOWAddict View Post
My wife just left Publix not to long ago and I worked there for 11 years.

Very rarely do they start you full time. Unless they desperate. Most full time spots go to working in the deli or Meat dept because those are the less desirable areas but meat dept makes good money reatively speaking.

They do all thier promotions from within for stores(all managers are internal promotions) but prior experience does account for something and you will get promoted faster with prior supermarket experience.
I am from Lake Worth too WOW, I wonder if I know you since we both worked for Publix.

Old 10-22-2008, 12:53 PM

2 posts, read 34,037 times
Default About how long to become assistant manager at Publix?!

Hello,

I just started at Publix about a week ago. About how long does it take to become a store manager, or about how long until they ask you? I work in the Deli, so far I like it. I have a friend who is the assistant manager in the grocery department, he loves it as well, but he said that you have to take some kind of test. A heads up would be nice. Thanks to anyone who answers this.

Old 10-22-2008, 12:55 PM

2 posts, read 34,037 times
Hello,

I just started at Publix about a week ago. About how long does it take to become a store manager, or about how long until they ask you? I work in the Deli, so far I like it. I have a friend who is the assistant manager in the grocery department, he loves it as well, but he said that you have to take some kind of test. A heads up would be nice. Thanks to anyone who answers this.

Old 10-22-2008, 01:30 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,890,280 times
My very first job was at Publix in Sanford, FL ( right next to SCC ) around 1999-2000, anyways.. I was in school and was hired to work in produce. I was 16-17 years old and they told me that I had to be at work one morning at like 3-4am to unload a truck. When I told them that I was underage and in school they didn't care. I guess when I didn't show up I was fired. I tried to apply at a Publix up here in Tennessee for a part time job at night and was told that I was put on a lifetime " non-rehireable list " to which I started laughing and walked away.

It's a shame too, to know that I'll never work for such a fine company again...

Old 10-22-2008, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xfaqtur08 View Post
Hello,

A store manager? A pretty long time as those positions don't come around often. Nobody gives them up unless they are retiring and then there is usually no shortage of candidates for it. A department manager is easier to get. Especially bakery. There is a big shortage in that department. You have to be fulltime at least 6 months in the department you are applying for. In your case deli. Then you have to pass a test to become an asst deli manager. Then 6 months after that you can test again and you can apply for a deli manager. You also have to be recommended by your deli manager and store manager. Just because you test and pass does not mean you will get promoted right away unless there is a big need and a shortage of candidates. The test results last 2 years. If you are not promoted within that time, you must test again. You must ROI (Register of Interest) each time it comes up until you get promoted. After you get promoted, you will attend the academy. There is a test at the end of each class you must pass and you must also pass the state sanitation exam.

Hope this gives you the information you need. Good luck with your career in Publix. You can make some decent money and have a good retirment if you stick with it. It won't come overnight.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:29 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,770,229 times
My wife was working for Albertsons full time, when Publix bought them out, they offered everyone who was transferring to Publix, even people who have been working for 7-10 years PART TIME. And a HUGE pay cut. My wife was offered part time 16-28 hours a week for $8.00 per hour. She was 40 hours and $10.56 at Albertsons. It was a slap in the face to all the Albertsons people, most denied the jobs and went on unemployment.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
My wife was working for Albertsons full time, when Publix bought them out, they offered everyone who was transferring to Publix, even people who have been working for 7-10 years PART TIME. And a HUGE pay cut. My wife was offered part time 16-28 hours a week for $8.00 per hour. She was 40 hours and $10.56 at Albertsons. It was a slap in the face to all the Albertsons people, most denied the jobs and went on unemployment.
That's b.s. man, another fine example of people busting their butts to make a living and having the carpet yanked out from under them.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:36 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,770,229 times
Yes it is. But the problem is, they have you by the "you know whats" because of the economy, they know people need a job so they give you what they want and don't care. We both got full time jobs right off the bat up here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post
That's b.s. man, another fine example of people busting their butts to make a living and having the carpet yanked out from under them.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
Yes it is. But the problem is, they have you by the "you know whats" because of the economy, they know people need a job so they give you what they want and don't care. We both got full time jobs right off the bat up here.
Before the economy tanked, Anyone could walk in off the streets here in Nashville and get a job with Kroger making $10.50/hr.

now, they start people off at about $8.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida