Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 12:18 PM

1,468 posts, read 4,748,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeone View Post
I know someone who has worked at Albertsons and claims to make 60,000 a year and has worked there for about 4 years maybe. Is he lying? He started off in produce. I did the math and that would mean he makes over $100 an hour on a 40 hour week. This sounds like bs to me
Ignoring that this is a 4 year old thread, I don't think $60,000 is $100.00 an hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 07:23 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,385,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeone View Post
I know someone who has worked at Albertsons and claims to make 60,000 a year and has worked there for about 4 years maybe. Is he lying? He started off in produce. I did the math and that would mean he makes over $100 an hour on a 40 hour week. This sounds like bs to me
the real bs is your math.

$60000/yr equates to $28.85/hr. gross pay, assuming a normal 40 hours/week schedule.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:18 PM

1,798 posts, read 3,019,141 times
I tried to get a job as a cashier with them. I had an interview but never did get a call back. I even have a college degree but they choose to hire retards (literally).

Old 09-30-2011, 06:01 AM

1,468 posts, read 4,748,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert_scene View Post
I tried to get a job as a cashier with them. I had an interview but never did get a call back. I even have a college degree but they choose to hire retards (literally).
A lot of jobs are like that, you just hire someone who is up to the job abd that is it. You are not looking for a real go getter, or someone looking to better themselves who will complain, and be full of ideas on what will make your place better. You just want someone who will show up, do what they are told, and keep their mouth shut.

When I was in the bar business I learned the hard way, never hired what you would call a "Professional bar tender". You just want someone who will be pleasant and do their job. A mistake here and there was fine as long as they tried their best. I once had a guy working for me who had been in the bar business for 25 years and even owned his own place at one time. Long story short, over about a year he stole some $40,000 from me.

I came up with this figure from consulting with a friend who was his bookmaker and told me what he had been betting and what he had lost. Everybody laughed at me and one guy even said, "What, the think he was betting that much money on what you paid him"? I guess I was the last to know. When he realized I was on to him he just didn't show up one day and no one even saw him again. I think some people around figured I had gotten rid of him but that was not true he was gone and I never knew what happened to him.

Long story short, don't hire people who know more about your business then you do. You just want some dope who will do their job, that's it. I guess you could call it the Walmart principle now, I am sure that is what they do. Never hire anyone smart enough to know how lousy the job is.

Old 09-30-2011, 06:55 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,385,548 times
Quote:
they know you'll leave in a short time, which costs them more money than you think.

Old 09-30-2011, 07:08 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
As someone who has a sweet brother in law who is mentally challenged, I find your post very offensive using the term "retard". This shows your personality, and is probably the bigger reason you didn't get a call-back.

And kudos to Publix for hiring the disabled!

Old 09-30-2011, 07:15 AM

357 posts, read 799,568 times
Quote:
They hire mentally and physically disabled people because they get special kickbacks from the government for doing so.

Old 09-30-2011, 12:11 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
A lot of jobs are like that, you just hire someone who is up to the job abd that is it. You are not looking for a real go getter, or someone looking to better themselves who will complain, and be full of ideas on what will make your place better. You just want someone who will show up, do what they are told, and keep their mouth shut.

When I was in the bar business I learned the hard way, never hired what you would call a "Professional bar tender". You just want someone who will be pleasant and do their job. A mistake here and there was fine as long as they tried their best. I once had a guy working for me who had been in the bar business for 25 years and even owned his own place at one time. Long story short, over about a year he stole some $40,000 from me.

I came up with this figure from consulting with a friend who was his bookmaker and told me what he had been betting and what he had lost. Everybody laughed at me and one guy even said, "What, the think he was betting that much money on what you paid him"? I guess I was the last to know. When he realized I was on to him he just didn't show up one day and no one even saw him again. I think some people around figured I had gotten rid of him but that was not true he was gone and I never knew what happened to him.

Long story short, don't hire people who know more about your business then you do. You just want some dope who will do their job, that's it. I guess you could call it the Walmart principle now, I am sure that is what they do. Never hire anyone smart enough to know how lousy the job is.
Great post. And it's true.

Anyone that gushes about Publix either works in management or doesn't realize there are much better jobs. Would I buy from their stores? In a heartbeat. But that is much different than being willing to work for them. Yes, they hire teens in high school, seniors and the disabled and they don't do it because they are nice.

I started a business last year and mango's post is bang on. Once you are in that position you realize that you are not social services. You have to make payroll, pay bills and have enough left over to eat and buy your kid school shoes. You want someone smart enough to do the job but not smart enough to give you a list of demands.

Old 09-30-2011, 08:42 PM

1,798 posts, read 3,019,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
As someone who has a sweet brother in law who is mentally challenged, I find your post very offensive using the term "retard". This shows your personality, and is probably the bigger reason you didn't get a call-back.

And kudos to Publix for hiring the disabled!
Sorry I made the comment, I'm glad the disabled are able to find work. And it's kind of Publix to employ them.

At least I now know "where the down boys go"
You know the old Warrant song, sing along!

Old 10-01-2011, 06:22 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,167,709 times
Quote:
I am sorry but I guess that college education was not too successful if you call people names. You did not get the job because you evidently were not what they were looking to hire at the time. Maybe your attitude showed through in the testing questions they asked. Customer service is a very important part of working in a store and you have to show the same respect to everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida