Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 10:06 AM

45 posts, read 112,509 times

Advertisements

I noticed in Florida the laws allow for exotic cats as pets with a permit. I'de be interested in hearing from anyone who has one, how hard it is to get the permit, and what types of hoops you had to jump through. Pictures would be great! Do many local jurisdictions put restrictions on it?

PS. Unless you have owned a bobcat please do not tell me how bad it will be or the laws should be changed etc. But if you have its fair game. Too much ignorance on this subject and I dont need to be attacked.

I live in Nebraska and am considering mving to florida. This is one of the plus points. In nebraska, all pets are allowed, but then the law says only "domestic cats". Nobody knows if that excludes bobcats or not but I'm playing it safe. People have huge snakes, monkeys, birds, alligators!

Last edited by skydve76; 08-11-2011 at 10:32 AM..

Old 08-11-2011, 10:26 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Sounds like a bad law that all the good folks of Florida who are registered voters ought to contact their legislators about changing.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:31 AM

The law does forbid large cats like tigers etc.. Small exotic costs, such as bobcats, servals and savahnahs are not much bigger than house cats. But they are bigger but not big enough to kill anyone. A large dog is by far more capable. But I'm not here to defend that.

Anyways why do you even waste your time?

Old 08-11-2011, 12:22 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Some good reading and points to ponder on the subject

Bobcats as Pets; Pet Bobcat Care and Behavior (http://www.exoticcatz.com/speciesbob.html - broken link)

Old 08-11-2011, 12:23 PM

PS. Unless you have owned a bobcat please do not tell me how bad it will be or the laws should be changed etc. But if you have its fair game. Too much ignorance on this subject and I dont need to be attacked.

As written above.

Old 08-12-2011, 07:11 AM

817 posts, read 2,250,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Sounds like a bad law that all the good folks of Florida who are registered voters ought to contact their legislators about changing.
Rep for you. I have no idea why such a law (allowing citizen ownership of exotic animals) should be in place.

And we don't need another yahoo who wants to move to Florida because they can keep a wild animal in a cage in their place.

Old 08-12-2011, 07:17 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Thank you. I'm not concerned about the danger to the owner of having an exotic cat. Truthfully, the bobcat is probably safer to a human than a lot of vicious, untrained dogs out there.

I'm more concerned about the cat and its quality of life.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Thank you. I'm not concerned about the danger to the owner of having an exotic cat. Truthfully, the bobcat is probably safer to a human than a lot of vicious, untrained dogs out there.

I'm more concerned about the cat and its quality of life.
I guess I'll take the troll bait.

But you realize bobcats are routinely hunted and slaughtered for thier hide? What kind of quality of life is that?

I would suggest you read the material someone posted in this forum. Bobcats are great pets and adapt to humans well.

The laws in place have specific requirments for thier care and others safety. Vet visits, overnight cages etcd.. This ensures a high quality of life.

I believe it also requires a 100K insurance policy to cover if someone gets injured or if the authorities have to track down and capture a lose animal.

Question, I see people with large dogs in a small apartment or house, are you concerned about that quality of life?

Old 08-12-2011, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin from Tampa View Post
Rep for you. I have no idea why such a law (allowing citizen ownership of exotic animals) should be in place.

And we don't need another yahoo who wants to move to Florida because they can keep a wild animal in a cage in their place.
Cage, it roams free in my house like any other cat. But once again there forum is full of geeks without lives (AKA Trolls) who are here to boost thier self esteem.

Go ahead, crap on my thread that is legitimate. Go ahead and troll it. I hope you fell better but I have news for you:

It wont help you get a girlfriend nor will it get rid of that fat gut. You want that go to the gym!

YOU STARTED IT.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:59 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
skydve76 You're being a bit hard on the responders to your topic,You had to know with a topic like this you would get some negative feedback on your plans..
Any how i'm neutral on the issue,if you want a Bobcat only you know whether its going to fit in your lifestyle and from where you are looking its seems like it will so heres a site with some more info on Bobcats. Exotics as Pets (http://www.blackpineanimalpark.com/pets/index.htm - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida