U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2011, 09:21 AM

4,597 posts, read 3,374,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Well, I guess I figured it out. I've been here over 23 years.

I would not live any where else.
Spring, you really like Florida ? I would have never guessed after 100+ posts telling us so, lol.

I live in Florida and like to read all of the posts, good and bad, except for the ones where people complain about the heat. There are good points made by folks who left Florida and good points made by folks who love Florida. Let's face it, if all things about Florida were great, everyone would be moving here and we'd be complaining about how crowded it is. Every place has it's good and bad and it's up the reader to decide what's best for them.

I like a lot about Florida, but I have never felt the same sense of family and warmth I felt when living up north. But I attribute that to the diverse nature of central Florida ... it's hard to bring 100+ cultures together in one place and expect everyone to get along and open up their homes. With that being said, I'm open to trying new places to live as I've lived in various parts of the world.

For anyone wanting to move here, do your homework before you come, have some money saved up, and have a Plan B if things don't work out for you here.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 09:45 AM

5,347 posts, read 6,472,705 times
to answer your question in my opinion

The good

FL has always been a good place for me and I have had a job so that part helps.

If you come here as a retirement place this can be a good lifestyle.

I don't mind the heat, bugs, and humidity.

I don't enjoy the good things as much as I should. Haven't been to the beach in a long time. Haven't been to a state or county park since my children left home. So there are lots of things to enjoy that are minimal costs.

My health is usually better here, I think the humid heat helps me with respiratory problems and arthritis although I now have more skin issues.

I have found good doctors here.

Lots of sports for kids. Families can spend a lot of time fishing, picnicing, etc

There are good community activities that you can enjoy

There is probably more good that I haven't hit upon.

Have lived here 12 years and don't see leaving anytime soon.

The bad

Would like to be able to refinance my house, but since I am so far underwater who knows when that will happen. So many foreclosures and businesses closing. Feel sorry for those folks.

Job market is not good anywhere. Unemployment is higher in FL. But the wages have always been low compared to other states.

People seem to be transient and what I call Florida Friendly. Friendly hellos in the driveway but no investment in friendship.

Throughout my childrearing years I felt as if I was alone in raising my children in a traditional manner. Basically kids raising kids and parents out enjoying Florida life.

People come to FL to have a good time. Sometimes these aren't good people and they don't look for good things. And that isn't always good for children. Bad things happen. Leave it at that.

But all in all, FL is not that bad. I like it and resolve to enjoy it more

if you come down here, enjoy

Old 08-23-2011, 11:31 AM

12,135 posts, read 13,181,762 times
its actually hillarious. It would be like me going to the Brooklyn forums telling
everyone there what I think. It's irrelevant. But, to each his own.

Keep me advised of your arrival. I'll buy you a beer or an egg cream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston904 View Post
Its funny how the ex Florida people can't stay away from the Florida posts. You would think once they put their tail between there legs and left they they would be gone but they really can't get enough of the great state of Florida Spring hillian see you down there soon

Old 08-23-2011, 11:36 AM

There must have been 100 + posts telling us all how bad it is, how much they
hate it, so I would guess there are 100+ responses to those.

You're right! What if everybody loved it here. It would be coast to coast,
North to South jammed!

As far as sense of family and warmth, most of my family left NYC years ago.
I was the last hold out. They went everywhere. Maine, FL, outside the NY
metro area, upstate NY, all just wanted away from the urban life of NYC.
However, their warmth stays with me through contact via email, skype and
visits. Same with my old buddies and friends. Either they are in FL already, coming, or come to visit the state allowing us to get together for some good times. I got to NY a few times a year, but with everyone gone, its necesary to travel a lot to cover everybody on a visit there.

Your last paragraph is most important!

Be well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
Spring, you really like Florida ? I would have never guessed after 100+ posts telling us so, lol.

I live in Florida and like to read all of the posts, good and bad, except for the ones where people complain about the heat. There are good points made by folks who left Florida and good points made by folks who love Florida. Let's face it, if all things about Florida were great, everyone would be moving here and we'd be complaining about how crowded it is. Every place has it's good and bad and it's up the reader to decide what's best for them.

I like a lot about Florida, but I have never felt the same sense of family and warmth I felt when living up north. But I attribute that to the diverse nature of central Florida ... it's hard to bring 100+ cultures together in one place and expect everyone to get along and open up their homes. With that being said, I'm open to trying new places to live as I've lived in various parts of the world.

For anyone wanting to move here, do your homework before you come, have some money saved up, and have a Plan B if things don't work out for you here.

Old 08-23-2011, 11:38 AM

Well put. Thanks for your opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
to answer your question in my opinion

The good

FL has always been a good place for me and I have had a job so that part helps.

If you come here as a retirement place this can be a good lifestyle.

I don't mind the heat, bugs, and humidity.

I don't enjoy the good things as much as I should. Haven't been to the beach in a long time. Haven't been to a state or county park since my children left home. So there are lots of things to enjoy that are minimal costs.

My health is usually better here, I think the humid heat helps me with respiratory problems and arthritis although I now have more skin issues.

I have found good doctors here.

Lots of sports for kids. Families can spend a lot of time fishing, picnicing, etc

There are good community activities that you can enjoy

There is probably more good that I haven't hit upon.

Have lived here 12 years and don't see leaving anytime soon.

The bad

Would like to be able to refinance my house, but since I am so far underwater who knows when that will happen. So many foreclosures and businesses closing. Feel sorry for those folks.

Job market is not good anywhere. Unemployment is higher in FL. But the wages have always been low compared to other states.

People seem to be transient and what I call Florida Friendly. Friendly hellos in the driveway but no investment in friendship.

Throughout my childrearing years I felt as if I was alone in raising my children in a traditional manner. Basically kids raising kids and parents out enjoying Florida life.

People come to FL to have a good time. Sometimes these aren't good people and they don't look for good things. And that isn't always good for children. Bad things happen. Leave it at that.

But all in all, FL is not that bad. I like it and resolve to enjoy it more

if you come down here, enjoy

Old 08-23-2011, 03:26 PM

2,359 posts, read 4,471,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boston904 View Post
Its funny how the ex Florida people can't stay away from the Florida posts. You would think once they put their tail between there legs and left they they would be gone but they really can't get enough of the great state of Florida Spring hillian see you down there soon
I still own a piece of property in probably one of the last little unspoiled towns down there on the Gulf where i can go whenever i get the urge. I still have part interest in a very profitable business down there in Spring Hill. I still have a lot of good friends there. That doesent necessarily mean that i have to live there. Ten years was enough for me. You can take my place. No tail between my legs.

Last edited by Ken E; 08-23-2011 at 03:47 PM..

Old 08-23-2011, 04:20 PM

23 posts, read 26,261 times
Uh oh and now there is a hurricane looming, Fl. just gets worse and worse. JUST KIDDING!! Here in Pa we felt the Va earthquake. I am really appreciated by all the responses to this post. Even if there was a "perfect" place to live it is always little scary to start over some where else. I have always wanted to be near the beach and out of my considerations, FL., Va Beach, OCMD. and San Diego(haha) I can't stop thinking about the Sunshine State, You have to take the good and bad with everything. Thanks. .........Spring Hillian Id take a beer!

Old 08-23-2011, 06:04 PM

16 posts, read 14,549 times
Sorry Florida is that bad.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:22 PM

3,633 posts, read 8,503,617 times
Not running with my tail between my legs either. I am moving for health reasons, NOT because I hate FL. I have a lot of friends here, that kinda happens when you are here for nearly 18 years.... I will be back in March to move my mother and step father back up to MA, March is a great month here. So I will enjoy it I am sure. I will sure as heck enjoy going north in 6 weeks after this summer here.

Depending on how much you investigate FL, and don't just come here with no plans, FL is fine... I have said my share of complaints, but this state has been in my life for nearly half of it, it's a big part of my life. The only big reason for my departure is the heat and me don't mix anymore. i have reasons. It never bothered me for the first 10-12 years.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:33 PM

14,505 posts, read 23,703,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfsh View Post
Wow it is amazing how many diff. views there are of Fl.. As a "yankee" who I believe would not bring negative energy to the state. I would hope to meet people who do not hold a grudge with a "transplant". My priority would be to find a job before making the move and to find a descent apartment. Knowing moving will not fix any problems, it is exciting to have a new begining in a beautiful place. If Fl. is that bad why do so many people still move there? Another option I am looking at is Va Beach. Any comments on that area? Used to live in Newport News. Again I truly appreciate all the responses!!!
Its not that bad.

In S.Florida no one really cares if you are a "transplant" or not- In Tenn. they use that word more , or "half-back", for yankees....S Florida isnt the south, at all.

Go there with money and dont buy in an HOA- research alot before buying. Fernandina Beach in NE Florida, near Amelia Island is beautiful. Palm Beach County (parts) is still nice if you are moving with family). I hate Orlando/too similar to NYC traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or