Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 04:29 PM

276 posts, read 789,671 times

Advertisements

Hey, I'm with you! This place is great if you enjoy living in a swamp and making crap wages. I am desperately trying to leave myself, and I only came here due to my mom's illness. I got stuck here. The cost of living is going up and up, but the wages are pathetic. I lived in CA for many years and the "charm" quickly disappeared (but its still better than here). Now, I have been here for what seems like an eternity and I hate it more everyday. Moreover, it appears that many people are leaving the state due to cost of living and high insurance rates. Like CA, the "dream" is a bit tarnished (or should I say, rusted)!

Old 08-21-2007, 04:29 PM

1,257 posts, read 4,560,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridabound09 View Post
Many people who I speak to daily in Florida tell me of people who have lawn care, mechanics, electricians who can make unlimited money if they WANT TO WORK.
I have two neighbors who live next to each other. Both are in pool business. Both are from New York. They are together, taking care ~400 pools in our community. They charge $60 per month for one pool. It is not easy in south Florida summer. But you can calculate how much money they make per month ($60x400=$24000). Yes, if you want to work and provide good service, you will make money.

Old 08-21-2007, 04:30 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,646,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
Floridabound -- You bash people who don't care Florida. Can't the same hold true for what you say about Ohio??? You obviously haven't found the good there. Why not? You have stated along the lines anyone can find the good if they want to...

You are supposedly moving here with a pension & retirement & won't need to work. Can't manage to move here without that? What are you afraid of? If Ohio is just so cold & so horrible & you've not been able to deal with it & that is why you have to move, why not just move now? According to you, jobs are plentiful done here! All you have to do is "work", right?

Your reality here will NOT be like many others due to that fact alone.

Your defensiveness speaks loud & clear of your lack of relating to those who don't live the way you do or have chose to or are in a position to live off their retirement.

Wake up---not everyone who lives in Florida or moves here is living off of money they already have & hence have little to worry about economically. And guess what...NOT EVERYONE WANTS TO LIVE IN FLORIDA!!!! It's a free country & choices are allowed to be made...whether YOU agree with them or not.

Honestly, I find your posts humorous. You lament those who dare speak ill of Florida for ANY reason yet you can't handle 40 degree weather in Ohio.

And thank you for FINALLY stating how you will NOT need a job when you move here. You have little right to jodge those who have to work done here.
Read all of my post........ I like Ohio, I dont bash Ohio at all, its the weather I dont like. I don't like the cold any longer and like you state I have a choice and its to move to Fla.

Why move now when I have a nice retirement with insurance at age 48 ready for me at time of retirement? That would be stupid as I wouldnt get all that if I left now.

Glad I posted I wont need a job, but I have been offered two great jobs in Florida if I wanted them. There is work everywhere in Florida, you just have to look and or gain some skills or talents that puts you into one of those jobs.

Fact is I could make 50k per year in Fla cutting grass!!! Why couldnt anyone else.

Bash those who dislike Fla, nahhh..
I have found those who bash Florida are usually wrong with the info and blame everything but themselves for it, the state, the people, the jobs, the crime when all states have it and many much worse.

Cannot handle 40 degrees? I have been here 46 years and done fine. READ MY DAMN POST !!! All of them.

Why stay here when Fla has everything I like, weather, antiques, OCEANS!, WDW, Busch, etc etc etc.

Ask yourself a question, why didnt you make it in Florida? Or better yet, why cant you make it in Fla?

I find your post plain narrow. There are far more states where people struggle worse then in Florida, anyone can find work in Florida if you look, but you cannot find many jobs in most others states.

WINDOW WASHER IN TAMPA making 100k per year, why cant you do that?
Same window washer in Columbus, Ohio would be lucky to make 40k per year, he could only wash windows 4 months out of the year!

Also, I wouldnt need a retirement to move to Florida and not everyone else does either, they find or learn a skill and go for it. Florida is an opportunity state, only the ones who dont get out of the house and learn are the ones who have a hard time.

We all have choices, sure you can dislike Florida, I dont dislike Ohio like you keep posting, I have worked hard all my life, got a education, earned money, ran a business on the side for 15 years, sold it and have done well. Now it's my time to enjoy what many of you are missing or cannot see.

The majority of the negatives posted here about Florida are bogus............Sure there are some negatives, but 14 poster right here on this board all have debunked the posters who tell them how bad it is when they get there it IS NOTHING LIKE THEY were told.

Too bad I defend Florida, I am there all the time, even spend 3 weeks of my vacation there, I happen to love Florida and hope all those who dont get the heck out and make some room for us who do.

* If I can make 15k per year selling antiques as a part time hobby in 2 different antique malls in Florida and do it from Ohio, why can't others do that? It's not that hard!
Buy here and sell there!!
After all you have TONS of good Flea Markets/Shows every day of the week year around in Florida, Ohio, you get 4 months of a few of them and thats it.

I will continue to defend the state of Florida whether you like it or not.
If I disagree with something I know is hogwash, too bad !

I know..... many people hate those who have done well enough to move to Fla and dont have to work.... maybe you should try working the same job for 30 years like I have, it PAYS !! and I get choices...

Old 08-21-2007, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridahater View Post
Hey, I'm with you! This place is great if you enjoy living in a swamp and making crap wages. I am desperately trying to leave myself, and I only came here due to my mom's illness. I got stuck here. The cost of living is going up and up, but the wages are pathetic. I lived in CA for many years and the "charm" quickly disappeared (but its still better than here). Now, I have been here for what seems like an eternity and I hate it more everyday. Moreover, it appears that many people are leaving the state due to cost of living and high insurance rates. Like CA, the "dream" is a bit tarnished (or should I say, rusted)!
I can drop my house in most areas in Florida and the COL is CHEAPER then here in Ohio. I can live there allot cheaper then here. Did the math.

Old 08-21-2007, 04:33 PM

1,738 posts, read 8,251,909 times
props to Floridabound!

Old 08-21-2007, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LingLing View Post
I have two neighbors who live next to each other. Both are in pool business. Both are from New York. They are together, taking care ~400 pools in our community. They charge $60 per month for one pool. It is not easy in south Florida summer. But you can calculate how much money they make per month ($60x400=$24000). Yes, if you want to work and provide good service, you will make money.
Thank you for posting that. Seems some people really want something for nothing.

24k per month washing pools, I am in !

Where else can you make that kind of money.............no where!!

Old 08-21-2007, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly3120 View Post
...ok mac! Thanks for the warning.
Bet ya where ur moving will have it's own set of probs.

We are in Lutz! ....less crime, good schools, less population, and a lighter style of life. WE LOVE IT!

NOW, I will say I avoid (miami,lantana, ft lat, etc) as much as possible.

vafury! ...I sat there trying to figure out the name for a while.

We have looked in Lutz as well...............

Still looking strongly in the large radius of that area.

For some reason air quality is not on my wish list, then again we get all the smog from Michigan and cannot breathe have the time.

We are still looking and have not found anything yet, but also waiting for prices to come down to REAL values before we buy anything.

Old 08-21-2007, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly3120 View Post
props to Floridabound!

Forgot to add something above....

My 9 year old loves the ocean, the heat, sand, WDW, Sea World and is looking forward to moving....

I want her to only have the best and by golly she is going to get it.... in Florida!

Old 08-21-2007, 04:57 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,476,147 times
Quote:
Read all of my post........ I like Ohio, I dont bash Ohio at all, its the weather I dont like. I don't like the cold any longer and like you state I have a choice and its to move to Fla.

There is work everywhere in Florida, you just have to look and or gain some skills or talents that puts you into one of those jobs.

Fact is I could make 50k per year in Fla cutting grass!!! Why couldnt anyone else.

I have found those who bash Florida are usually wrong with the info and blame everything but themselves for it, the state, the people, the jobs, the crime when all states have it and many much worse.

Cannot handle 40 degrees? I have been here 46 years and done fine. READ MY DAMN POST !!! All of them.

anyone can find work in Florida if you look, but you cannot find many jobs in most others states.

WINDOW WASHER IN TAMPA making 100k per year, why cant you do that?

Florida is an opportunity state, only the ones who dont get out of the house and learn are the ones who have a hard time.

Now it's my time to enjoy what many of you are missing or cannot see.

The majority of the negatives posted here about Florida are bogus

I know..... many people hate those who have done well enough to move to Fla and dont have to work.... maybe you should try working the same job for 30 years like I have, it PAYS !! and I get choices...
You judge people based on how you think everyone should live b/c that is how you live. Plain & simple. YOU don't read THEIR posts & THEIR reasons.

I think the winning comment has to that people just need to get out of their homes & learn to find opportunity b/c it's just everywhere in Florida.

Thanks for the laughs

Last edited by 121804; 08-21-2007 at 05:13 PM..

Old 08-21-2007, 05:05 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,476,147 times
Quote:
Well, come to Ohio...

Nice gray skies for 9 months, Oh forgot, not many jobs here, unless you can wait tables at Dennys....compared to Florida where I can find work real easy, already been offered and turn down great paying jobs and be warm year around without a problem at all.

We got Lake Erie, even the fish cannot swim in it.
You like Ohio??? It's just the "weather"....hmmm...doesn't sound like it here & how the smog from Michigan goes all the way into Columbus.

Might want to read "your" posts.

Last edited by 121804; 08-21-2007 at 05:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida