Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2011, 09:01 AM

41 posts, read 90,898 times

Advertisements

Living in upstate NY currently. I love the heat and hate the winters. My daughter wants to attend college in Florida next year. I have been looking all summer for a place to move to and find work. I am in upper management in the hotel industry. Can anyone give advise on place to move in Florida. I really like the west coast never been to the east coast. It has to be safe, I worry about my daughter and traveling etc. I know I am going to take a pay cut so that I expect. Would love ot rent a nice home with a pool at least a 3bdrm but not pay 1500-2000 a month as I know I will be making less and am a single father. I see post about do not move to Florida and I see post about how awesome it is. I met some folks form Naples staying up north in my place and they love it so who knows. I appreciate any info anyone may have.
Thanks and hope to read some more!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2011, 06:39 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,959,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny south bound View Post
Living in upstate NY currently. I love the heat and hate the winters. My daughter wants to attend college in Florida next year. I have been looking all summer for a place to move to and find work. I am in upper management in the hotel industry. Can anyone give advise on place to move in Florida. I really like the west coast never been to the east coast. It has to be safe, I worry about my daughter and traveling etc. I know I am going to take a pay cut so that I expect. Would love ot rent a nice home with a pool at least a 3bdrm but not pay 1500-2000 a month as I know I will be making less and am a single father. I see post about do not move to Florida and I see post about how awesome it is. I met some folks form Naples staying up north in my place and they love it so who knows. I appreciate any info anyone may have.
Thanks and hope to read some more!
You can try Naples, its in the SWFL coast .We haev FLorida Gulf Coast University and LOTS of hotels and quite a busy "season" .. Its very large but we have rural areas and u can find a nice place well below 1,500 a month

Old 08-21-2011, 06:58 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,772,590 times
There is USF in Sarasota, I believe that you can find a nice home to rent in the area, and within your budget.

Old 08-21-2011, 10:44 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,267,233 times
You're going to uproot your daughter in the middle of her senior year? And she will attend college where she is accepted and you don't know where that is, yet. Maybe you could wait until after she gets into a school? Then you would at least know the vicinity?

Old 08-22-2011, 09:28 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,280,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
You're going to uproot your daughter in the middle of her senior year? And she will attend college where she is accepted and you don't know where that is, yet. Maybe you could wait until after she gets into a school? Then you would at least know the vicinity?
Sound advice

Also "upper management in the hotel industry"?. Not sure what that involves but it sure sounds like something not to far away from minimum wage,which if true you'll have to downgrade your rent to the $500-$700 range if you want any money left over for expenses.
If Hotels are going to be your job source then head to a target rich environment like Miami area,Disney area,St Pete beaches area,Daytona area..

Best of luck..

Old 08-22-2011, 09:38 AM

41 posts, read 90,898 times
Thanks for the reply's. My daughter and I have checked out the colleges and if it all comes together in time we will have plenty of time to get enrolled. We may have to start with community college first year , get residency under way and transfer to the university from there. I have been looking since April so had hope to be beyond this point by now.

Upper Management in the hotel industry would be Hotel manager, Rooms division manager and here it pays 40 to 70,000 per year for an average size Hotel. I know I am looking at less but certainly hope it would not be min wage.

Old 08-22-2011, 11:22 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,626,667 times
You really need to research salaries, I think you're going to be shocked with the pay difference.

The other thing is why is your daughter so interested in attending college in FL? It is to get an education or to party?

As a resident of NY you have an extensive choice of state schools that are top notch.

Down here, there is less of a selection.

The competition is going to get stiffer and stiffer as Americans are now competing against foreign countries. You want to pick the right school and a major and that will get you a job.

And a community college down here can mean the equivalent of a high school curriculum up north, keep that in mind.

Old 08-22-2011, 11:30 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,126,573 times
I would also recommend Sarasota--Venice area for you.

Naples is nice---but very quiet and with a daughter her age and moving from New York, might be a bit slow for her.

There are truths and untruths in Florida posts on the threads-----you just need to use common sense and see for yourself-----experience rather than rumor is the best guide----visit first.

Good luck----hope it turns out well for you.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:43 AM

154 posts, read 388,561 times
good luck on a job,
second so many NE moved back after the crash been missing you all down south just what we need more management!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida