U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-29-2011, 11:05 PM

1,457 posts, read 826,523 times

Advertisements

Florida is not for everybody, but if you are practical, budget well, and are selective you can live on a limited income.

It means turning ac down when you leave the house---it means eating at home more----it means selecting your cable tv offerings carefully---and it means spending some time at home or at the complex pool.

It is expensive to live down here----no doubt. However, like anywhere else there are tradeoffs. If you hate the snow and cold it is possible to survive down here if you have a budget and adhere to it, making some tradeoffs and compromises.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:52 PM

11,501 posts, read 8,363,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
Comments in blue ...

I cannot comment because you posted within my quote Moderator cut: snip

I will however answer a few.

I lived in Ohio my entire life.

I cannot stand anything below 50.

I survive the full July and August so called killer heat. We got here July 1 and survived easily.

Family is telling me it is 60 in Ohio tonight. 85 here and perfecto!

Oh yea, we have a heated pool and have spent many winters in Florida and was in the ocean.

Thanks for making my point, people come here and leave for reasons other then the weather. Most of it has to do with poor planning, poor decisions and other reasons we wont get into.

No way would I ever go back to Ohio. Do you really think Ohio has a beach.

No beaches near Ohio for your info. At least 10 hours to a decent beach on the coast and the you can only go 3 months of the year.

Last edited by Keeper; 08-30-2011 at 03:05 PM.. Reason: it is not against the ToS unless you change the info

Old 08-30-2011, 01:32 AM

8,272 posts, read 8,059,904 times
Default I love beaches too - let's save them!

I can't begin to add up the money I spent to vacation on a nice beach when I lived up north. New England has beautiful beaches, but the water was usually very cold. After I was no longer able to ski, I traded my ski trips to Vermont with weeks in warm, sunny places and couldn't wait to move permanently to Florida. When I finally arrived, I traveled all over the state from the panhandle to Key West. Then I settled on Sanibel Island, a very special place, for a couple of years and Bonita Springs, less than a mile to the beach, for over 13.

So nobody can say I don't like the beach. I used to get home from work and go to Barefoot Beach every night to watch the sunset. Even if it was cloudy and rainy, I'd take a walk and sometimes was treated with a nice rainbow. I guess I got depressed after a while because month after month, there was another warning about bacteria in the water or red tide. Red tide is "natural" but the high number of algae blooms we've had aren't so natural, as fertilizer and pesticides continue to pollute our once crystal blue waters.

Bacteria warnings are becoming all too common. Most of them are from "runoff" and human waste has been found on public beaches. Earlier this year Venice Beach, Turtle Beach (Sarasota) and others were closed due to high levels of bacteria in the water. On the east coast, several beaches were closed due to fecal matter in the water. Just this month, advisories were posted along Lee County beaches in Bonita and Fort Myers Beach and at the Port Charlotte Beach Complex in Charlotte County. Warnings have been posted all the way up the coast, but nobody is talking about it here. Sunset Beach in Tarpon Springs was closed by health officials last week. I can't imagine sitting under the hot Florida sun in the summer and not going into the water to cool off.

Just at a time when we need more testing, new budget cuts are threatening our beaches, our very livelihood. Many of us truly care about Florida and what has happened to our little piece of Paradise. Ignoring a problem doesn't make it go away.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:27 AM

87 posts, read 64,556 times
Some people can acclimate to their new environment while others cannot. No matter how much extensive research one does before they decide to uproot, it still will not prepare them for the real life experience. Those that have tried and it didn't work out...at least they tried.

Regardless of what the reason may be for someone wanting to move to or out of FL or anywhere for that matter, it is their freedom to do so. And if they want to share their negative or positive experience on a chat forum, it is their freedom to do so.

People should not be bashing them because they gave it a shot and didn't like it. And the ones complaining about the people whining are bitter and taking it as a personal attack for no apparent reason. At the end of the day, if you don't like what people have to say on here, you have a choice of either ignoring these threads, spend time in other areas of the forum, leave the forum or step away from your computer and go about enjoying your life. Why let it get to you and attack a stranger for sharing their views about something they dislike? There is no need to be on attack mode, people.

Having a civil debate is one thing but personally attacking someone for their negative views is unnecessary and unwarranted.

Last edited by OCtoWPB; 08-30-2011 at 08:54 AM..

Old 08-30-2011, 07:28 AM

3,267 posts, read 4,351,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
Yeah, and we'll be getting our first cold fronts next month or sometimes soon. Can't wait for autumn and winter. Hopefully this winter will be cold like the last two have been.
Curse you for asking for another cold winter! I am hoping this winter is mild. Last year was too cold for too long. A week of cold works for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I can't begin to add up the money I spent to vacation on a nice beach when I lived up north. New England has beautiful beaches, but the water was usually very cold. After I was no longer able to ski, I traded my ski trips to Vermont with weeks in warm, sunny places and couldn't wait to move permanently to Florida. When I finally arrived, I traveled all over the state from the panhandle to Key West. Then I settled on Sanibel Island, a very special place, for a couple of years and Bonita Springs, less than a mile to the beach, for over 13.

So nobody can say I don't like the beach. I used to get home from work and go to Barefoot Beach every night to watch the sunset. Even if it was cloudy and rainy, I'd take a walk and sometimes was treated with a nice rainbow. I guess I got depressed after a while because month after month, there was another warning about bacteria in the water or red tide. Red tide is "natural" but the high number of algae blooms we've had aren't so natural, as fertilizer and pesticides continue to pollute our once crystal blue waters.

Bacteria warnings are becoming all too common. Most of them are from "runoff" and human waste has been found on public beaches. Earlier this year Venice Beach, Turtle Beach (Sarasota) and others were closed due to high levels of bacteria in the water. On the east coast, several beaches were closed due to fecal matter in the water. Just this month, advisories were posted along Lee County beaches in Bonita and Fort Myers Beach and at the Port Charlotte Beach Complex in Charlotte County. Warnings have been posted all the way up the coast, but nobody is talking about it here. Sunset Beach in Tarpon Springs was closed by health officials last week. I can't imagine sitting under the hot Florida sun in the summer and not going into the water to cool off.

Just at a time when we need more testing, new budget cuts are threatening our beaches, our very livelihood. Many of us truly care about Florida and what has happened to our little piece of Paradise. Ignoring a problem doesn't make it go away.
It absolutely astonishes me how many people throw trash out their car windows around here. This place is litter bug galore. I would be curious to know why these people think it's perfectly fine to throw trash out their window or leave their waste at the beach. Furthermore, I would love to see a study where most of these litter bugs come from.

I can guarantee you that no Alaskan leaves their trash laying around. We're taught at a very young age to not litter. LITTER BUGS! YUCK!

Old 08-30-2011, 08:15 AM

189 posts, read 380,966 times
I meant the summer in fl is just longer than other places and hot almost everyday. It is what it is no place is perfect or we would all live there.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:32 AM

5,254 posts, read 3,927,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlopes26 View Post
I meant the summer in fl is just longer than other places and hot almost everyday. It is what it is no place is perfect or we would all live there.
Right ..its all about what works for you. If you dont enjoy heat then Florida is a nightmare..if you hate cold , same thing up north. No argument. The problem I have is listening to people rave about Florida weather..

Old 08-30-2011, 09:52 AM

489 posts, read 361,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user8
i don't know what part of the north you've been in during winter but i can assure you with 100% confidence that there are many parts (including pburgh) that are a gloomy dull gray for a significant portion of the colder months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
ONLY by the lakes..... Northeast and upper midwest though cold stay relatively sunny.
Gotta agree with ya jp03 - Here in Delaware we have what I call deceptive sunny days in the winter, by that I mean the sun is in full blast, it looks so warm & inviting outside, until you step outside. Reality check, it's Jan & 20* though it looks warm it's anything but. But yeah we do have beautiful sunny winter days. Gray dull skys here are usually indicative of rain/snow so it's not the norm.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:25 AM

175 posts, read 185,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Well, I can scan and provide a copy of my car insurance bill.

I pay less than $90 per month for two vehicles.

In NYC I paid $225 a month for one and that was over 20 years ago.

The NYTimes article you provided a link to shows median FL insurance
to be in the middle of the road of the U.S.

So, yes, what high car insurance rates? Sure, for those with bad credit, speeding tickets, etc, the rates are going to be higher because those
people are simply more of a risk to the insurance company.

Surely agree, a lot of people can't deal with the heat. They should
go to where they are more comfortable instead of the endless whining
about it.

In regarding to weather, I don't know what anyone missed when they first thought of moving south in the first place. That's got to be the biggest
no brainer around. South = heat and humidity.
Geez guess your buddies can't make up their mind They claim there is no money in Florida but yet they post this------ I still have part interest in a very profitable business down there in Spring Hill.--------------- and you guess who the poster is ?????

Last edited by boston904; 08-30-2011 at 10:38 AM..

Old 08-30-2011, 11:12 AM

8,426 posts, read 5,162,070 times
You quoted my post, but I don't get your drift.
What buddies do you refer to, the ones who cant make up their mind.
If you have an interest in a very profitable business in Spring Hill, then
it is obvious that there is money in FL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston904 View Post
Geez guess your buddies can't make up their mind They claim there is no money in Florida but yet they post this------ I still have part interest in a very profitable business down there in Spring Hill.--------------- and you guess who the poster is ?????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida