U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-02-2011, 01:37 PM

87 posts, read 58,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
I moved here from Alaska. Although it was a fine place to live, I rarely ever go there to post and I most definitely never go there to slam how bad the weather is there.

Not sure why people feel compelled to post in a forum for a state they no longer live in. Let alone dislike.
I will bite.

I will soon be leaving FL and after I leave, I may pop in here every now and then to see if I can learn something new or if anything has changed. Depending on my mood, I may engage in some debates, small talk, etc.. If I see a thread about the weather, I MAY respond with MY opinion. Some may agree with me, others may not; for those who do not and are easily irritated, they can simply ignore it because complaining will not make it go away.

Forums are meant for people to converse and share their views and express their opinions; if someone's feathers are easily ruffled because of a difference in opinion, then they should not be on a forum.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Anyone who bases their future on a couple of vacations is not thinking clearly. It is not only people complainting about the weather, ad naseum, Jambo, its the long list of dissatisfaction I find here which blots out the real purpose of City-Data, which is to provide factual concise answers to questions people from another area or even within the state may have.
It just becoame a knot of complainers from here or elsewhere who have nothing else to do except find fault with their lives.

To human is error. I am sure you have made some mistakes in the past that have taught you to think twice and not let it happen again.

Rather than hijacking someone's post and complaining about their post, perhaps you can start a new positive and cheery post about how wonderful the weather is in FL. That will easily balance out the negative ones on here.

Last edited by OCtoWPB; 09-02-2011 at 02:18 PM..

Old 09-02-2011, 02:10 PM

1,839 posts, read 2,708,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCtoWPB View Post
I will bite.

I will soon be leaving FL and after I leave, I may pop in here every now and then to see if I can learn something new or if anything has changed. Depending on my mood, I may engage in some debates, small talk, etc.. If I see a thread about the weather, I MAY respond with MY opinion. Some may agree with me, others may not; for those who do not and are easily irritated, they can simply ignore it because complaining will not make it go away.

Forums are meant for people to converse and share their views and express their opinions; if someone's feathers are easily ruffled because of a difference in opinion, then they should not be on a forum.
Question, how long did you live here total? I'm just a bit curious?

I lived in a number of states and I rarely look or read anything about them, or post comments. The only time I make a statement about other areas that I have lived, is when it comes up on a topic in the Florida forum and that’s a rarity.

Florida has a lot of negatives and so does California which I assume is where you’re going back to. Maybe for you those negatives outweigh the positives, but for others it may be the direct opposite. Maybe to you its too humid here and bugs are everywhere, but to someone else that’s the way it is and/or is not that bad. Look at as a trade-off...

I think in all the Florida forum probably has the most “See you later Florida, moving to _________” threads of all the states. In my opinion it’s not because Florida on a whole is a hell hole, if that’s the case we wouldn’t be the 4th populous state though even #1 California would be deemed as such or even Florida by some people based on their opinions. I think a lot of people that leave do it reluctantly and they are bitter about something, so it gives them great joy in coming on here and blasting the place that let them down. Now, I’ll reinstate the fact that this does not apply to everyone, some people just can’t keep their fingers off of the keyboard and have to get their 2 cents in.

I made a comment about “Newbies” because many have not even lived here long enough to get accumulated to things, they often are too quick to pass judgment. I think these people did not do their homework prior to moving here. It’s akin to saying your going to move to the Bay Area and buy a nice 3/2/2 on a quiet street in Palo Alto for $200K, just isn't going to happen.

Old 09-02-2011, 03:48 PM

THX-

You are preaching to the choir.

Yes, every place has its hang ups and there will always be -/+ comments. But unlike some folks on here, I don't mind hearing both. What I do mind is when folks try to dictate what others should not post on a forum; that is up to the forum owner/mods to decide. The constant complaining about the complainers is just as bad in my book.

And to answer your question, I am from CA and have been in FL for 3 months now. I actually like FL but I already knew that it was not the place I would want to settle. It was my husband's decision to uproot for the possible expansion of our business so I had to support him. If it was not for the sake of expanding our business and supporting him, I would have stayed in CA. So that is my story.

Old 09-02-2011, 03:52 PM

7,099 posts, read 4,134,250 times
snip..........
[quote=THX 1138;20719636] I think a lot of people that leave do it reluctantly and they are bitter about something, so it gives them great joy in coming on here and blasting the place that let them down. Now, Iíll reinstate the fact that this does not apply to everyone,
[quote=THX 1138;20719636]

I have thought the same thing you state above. Nobody will ever state why they left there personal paradise in the first place to replace it with Florida. I guess they just woke up one day and said "Florida, I think we will move there" and its done. So much to think of and plan for an not even a consideration that its the South and the South is most likely hotter/warmer/wetter than where they are. They apparently give no consideration to the facts. Bugs, congestion in and around major cities, hurricanes, people from many different upbringings and cultural styles, lack of availability of long time favorite items, etc.

Then to blame the entire state for their lack of common knowledge, even after they are gone, is absurd.

Someone feels that someone got their feathers ruffled over the trite postings here has it wrong. Others are simply trying to show the other side of the coin, the side where its stated its hot in the summer. Period.
Hot and humid. Rainy. But when THEIR opinion is opposed, its a problem.

I am sure if I posted "Florida is great. Jobs galore. Weather is perfect
year round. The people are so friendly they will go out of their way
to help out a fellow Floridian" my posting would result in plenty of disagreement. However, when someone says "Florida sucks, there are no jobs, the weather is the worse and the people are all morons" and someone rebuts or disagrees with that position, then watch out for those
who don't even live here to chime in and defend what they feel is a likewise opinion.

Carry on.

Old 09-02-2011, 03:54 PM

So in your opinion the postings of the negatives should go without response? Only negative (and usually incorrect) postings should prevail?

I dont think so.

Quote:
THX-

You are preaching to the choir.

Yes, every place has its hang ups and there will always be -/+ comments. But unlike some folks on here, I don't mind hearing both. What I do mind is when folks try to dictate what others should not post on a forum; that is up to the forum owner/mods to decide. The constant complaining about the complainers is just as bad in my book.

And to answer your question, I am from CA and have been in FL for 3 months now. I actually like FL but I already knew that it was not the place I would want to settle. It was my husband's decision to uproot for the possible expansion of our business so I had to support him. If it was not for the sake of expanding our business and supporting him, I would have stayed in CA. So that is my story.

Old 09-02-2011, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
So in your opinion the postings of the negatives should go without response? Only negative (and usually incorrect) postings should prevail?

I dont think so.
This is a forum and responses are encouraged. Otherwise, how else would it be balanced if both point of views were not heard?

And incorrect according to whom?

Old 09-02-2011, 05:23 PM

Incorrect according to factual sources instead of personal opinion.

Quote:
This is a forum and responses are encouraged. Otherwise, how else would it be balanced if both point of views were not heard?

Old 09-02-2011, 05:38 PM

1,337 posts, read 321,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svbusdriver View Post
1- The wages here stink...bad. I drive a motorcoach here in Orlando and I make a whopping 10 bucks a hour. [snip]

2- Utilities...I thought they were bad in Pittsburgh...No comparison. The electric bills here are insane. 3-400 a month in electric. I paid no usually more than 100 back home a month, and I run the same stuff. [snip]

3- Car insurance...My rates went from $740 a YEAR to $800 every 6 months when We got here. Same car, same coverage.

*shrugs* Don't expect anyone to like the state, but with the exception of the electric... the other two objections seem like they aren't worth griping over.

The car insurance difference is $60.... marginal, at best. Don't know why you would complain about a paltry $60 difference. Can't conceive how that trivial amount could possibly sway somebodies opinion on the matter, in light of the ten thousand really nasty things that one could complain about in Florida.

The wages.... to me that falls under the category of reasonable expectation. People don't intentionally go out of their way to live in Florida for the decent wages. You adjust your lifestyle accordingly, to meet the lower wages.... whether that be living in a smaller house (and the smaller electric electric bill to go with it... which helps solve your other problem), or other cost-cutting measures and reprioritizing.

Old 09-02-2011, 06:47 PM

3,535 posts, read 5,324,932 times
Quote:

You didn't know Spring Hillian is the forum God???? Where have you been?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida